Tae Kwon Do No More

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am now officially retiring from Tae Kwon Do. I began Tae Kwon Do for physical therapy reasons. Now sadly I cannot perform the upper belt one steps required to my own satisfaction. That is not really the main particular reason. I have just lost the passion for the art.

I have been putting so much effort towards my Judo 3rd dan, instructing, going to other schools with my students etc. Not only that but my true passion is hapkido. In academic terms I am doing a double major. I reached upper gup status in Tae Kwon Do and well, I am ok with that.

Hapkido kicking is less harsh on the joints, more dynamic and devastating to the receiver. That is not to say Tae Kwon Do isn't a great art, I still love poomsea and practice them. However poomsea is my only enjoyment.

I will still post heavily on this board, like Drac I still want to participate in good TKD conversation. But as far as belting up is concerned, well "I am done with it."

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Matt we all have choices we must make and you have really given this a once over. Best of luck with everything you do.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD' loss is Judo's gain....Maybe someday we will meet up and we can randori..WHAT AM I SAYING!!!!!!!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Such decisions are ever ones that can only be made by those who they directly affect, Matt. I know that you've been pondering this one for quite some time and can thus have the satisfaction of knowing that this is not a snap judgement you have made rashly.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You have a full plate and something has to give, it happens to all of us. It sounds like you enjoy martial arts and you are going to continue with whatever ones suit you best. You can always come back later, the door never closes.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, how some of you can keep the schedules they have in MA and still manage to share their wisdom is amazing to me.

And even though you decided TKD no more should not prevent you from sharing the gained knowledge with those of us who are pretty much still at the beginning, I hope.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A wise man listens to his body and adjusts his life accordingly. You're doing what is best for YOU and that is what is important. You can still promote the art and still practice the TKD that your body allows you to do and still learn a new art and may find that the two compliment each other.
Wishing you luck on your continuing journey.

:asian:

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Matt, my friend, we all have to choose our own path. I see you as a martial artist, not just one particular stylist. You have an outstanding lineage. Keep Twistn em and flipn em, oh yeah...and chokn em!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Keep working hard at Judo and Hapkido!
icon14.gif

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good luck! I'm sure you've heard this kind of thing before, but...

You can take the man out of Tae Kwon Do, but you can't take Tae Kwon Do out of the man.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it works for you, great! How many of us stuck with our first art? It take a while to find a match!

You have to kick a lot of frogs, as they say...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best wishes, Matt. It is true- you can take the person out of TKD, but can't take TKD out of the person. Sometimes, it's just time to move on.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have to do what's right for you - nothing else matters.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind words. As a kid I always did the wrestling, hapkido, and judo. I also participated with the All Marine Judo Team during my enlistment. So TKD has been my last endeavor, however I did gain some good stuff from it. However, it just isn't my cup of tea so to speak.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good luck Matt!

I am sure your studies in Judo and Hapkido will continue to be fulfilling and your experience in TKD may give you a little different insight into those other arts.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't worry and do waht you want, as you aid TKD kicking can be hard on joints, I've been having this problem with my ankles and feet, they hurt me afther every TKD class, I'm not plining quit TKD in some time, as long as I can stand it, however I've been thinking in AikiDo and Hapkido too as they emphatize another aspects of SD like trowing,sweeping,arm locks,etc,etc.

Keep in toeuch in this forum you are a valuable person.

Manny

Latest Discussions