Inspiration to Pursue Tae Kwon Do

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
What was your inspiration to begin Tae Kwon Do? For me it began as a cross train for hapkido. Then it became more important to me as a physical therapy aid. Tae Kwon Do to me is/has many faces. It is a great and complex art full of beauty and grace. However, it is a learning curve, you don't begin to understand it, at least I have found the normal student does not until Green belt at least.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What was your inspiration to begin Tae Kwon Do? For me it began as a cross train for hapkido. Then it became more important to me as a physical therapy aid. Tae Kwon Do to me is/has many faces. It is a great and complex art full of beauty and grace. However, it is a learning curve, you don't begin to understand it, at least I have found the normal student does not until Green belt at least.

I started in Taekwondo at 14 for a lot of reasons. I was one of the kids who got picked on in jr high, so I thought I'd take it in high school. (Little did I know that kids change in high school & I didn't need it once:) ). I really benefitted from the stretching & physical aspects of TKD, but the belief in me that my instructor had made ALL the difference in the world. I am a living example of what encouragement & teaching someone to not quit (indomitable spirit) is all about. I wouldn't have believed college & grad school were possible if it weren't for the life lessons I learned in the dojang.

When I was a yellow belt, I figured a jump spinning reverse crescent kick was the height of TKD training. Now, I rather spend an hour working on a form or 2. My inspiration used to be my next belt. Now its passing on the art to my students.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MIne was not inspiration but more of admoration: When I moved to California I was looking for a hard core Karate school and what I found was water down soft stuff, until I wonder into Master Kim dojaang this little guy was kicking so fast and hard and throwing all these people around. I stay and watched and after class he walked up and said you here to train and I said I was watching and he said you here to train and I thought does he not understand I was watching and then he said please get up and he waived at me to come on his floor and he throw a roundhouse and stopped it right against my chest and said you here to train and that started a wonderful relationship for many years.

Man I really miss the old days.
Terry

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In all honesty, when I first walked in the door of the dojang, it was unwillingly; I was there because the guy I was dating dragged me in - on the order of "try it, and if you don't like it, we'll do something else" - by the end of the first class, though, I was hooked. I'm still not sure why, I just know that something in that class fit for me, and I've been doing TKD ever since that day - February 2, 1987.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I started in TSD. I wanted to learn self defense for a job I had at the time. I looked at a couple of dojangs, but my TSD dojang just "felt right." I didn't know anything about "styles" and such, but I soon learned that it was actually a mixure of styles (jujitsu, a little Hapkido, and thai boxing on top of TSD). So it was a perfect fit for what I wanted learn MA for.

Latest Discussions