Missing Class

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My instructor only requires us to come 2 times a week in order to be eligible to test. However, I NORMALLY go 3-4 times. Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and sometimes on Sat.

I've been on vacation from my job for the past 4-5 days. I went twice last week, and for some reason felt odd today and just decided not to go. I'm not sick, and I don't feel bad.. I just kind of feel like I should be relaxing before I have to go back to work.

I use TKD sometimes as a way to blow off steam, because my job can be very stressful. Today I kind of have that.. I just wanna do nothing.. feeling.

Should I get myself worked up or feel bad about missing class? I've hit the 2 required classes since I have been going, but sometimes I feel like if I don't go every day thats available.. I am shorting myself.

I might stretch or do some work on my own later. I just don't really feel like being around people until my vacation is over.. which ends tomorrow, no class tomorrow anyway.

Should I feel bad?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes we just need to give ourselves some physical and mental R&R with 'downtime' days. Don't feel bad about it.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Life seems to get in the way of training..As the others have said, Don't worry about it...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taking a few days off every once in a while is no crime. Enjoy the time off.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A change is as good as a rest - but sometimes a rest is what's needed. You're on vacation - it's okay to include TKD in your vacation as well.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Reminds me of this - my favorite - book: ZEN in the Martial Arts by Joey Hyams
One chapter dealt with the day of doing nothing.

I mean, I used to feel like I need to bring a note from home if I missed a class, because I was going 3 times a week, rain or shine.

And resting - mind and body - is also needed at times, catching up on sleep, chatting with friends, hanging out on the couch and catching up with the latest rerun of the new favorite show.

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would say to give your mind a rest.

If it feels too lazy take 30-45 minutes of your time before you watch TV or whatever you do to relax and stretch. Maybe put some quality time into the basics that everyone wishes they could hone such as slowly going through kicks or stances. Make that middle stance go low and long.

Or just have a beer.

level7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
yeah, I was off today as well. My 5am weight workout wasn't that fulfilling. Yesterday's class didn't have sparring, just forms, which was fine.

I'm going to start going more then twice a week. I wasn't aware we could but I think we can.

TKD does blow off steam, esp. when we sparr. Take a break for as long as you need. You may be getting burned out. When you return, you'll be like a spring ready to be unleashed :)

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Should I get myself worked up or feel bad about missing class? I've hit the 2 required classes since I have been going, but sometimes I feel like if I don't go every day thats available.. I am shorting myself.

I might stretch or do some work on my own later. I just don't really feel like being around people until my vacation is over.. which ends tomorrow, no class tomorrow anyway.

Should I feel bad?

No, don't feel bad.

This may be a sign of mental burnout or that you're overtraining; in which case ease off for a couple of days before going back.

Anytime you do take a break, make a commitment of when you'll start training again and keep it... I've seen too many people take a "break" that then faded into permanent absences.

To play devil's advocate, sometimes when you least feel like training is when you really need to get your butt to class. I've had several days like you've described where I just didn't feel like going; often they turned into the best classes after I went anyway and started training. The energy from the class and from training was able to knock me out of my funk, and I felt great afterwards.

Good luck either way.

BanannaSmoothie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My instructor only requires us to come 2 times a week in order to be eligible to test. However, I NORMALLY go 3-4 times. Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and sometimes on Sat.

I've been on vacation from my job for the past 4-5 days. I went twice last week, and for some reason felt odd today and just decided not to go. I'm not sick, and I don't feel bad.. I just kind of feel like I should be relaxing before I have to go back to work.

I use TKD sometimes as a way to blow off steam, because my job can be very stressful. Today I kind of have that.. I just wanna do nothing.. feeling.

Should I feel bad?

that's when i feel like i should go to class the most.

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like most of the people here have been saying, sometimes you just need downtime, and that downtime can be a good thing. I had to drop classes for 4 months (not voluntarily, work related), but I found that, once I came back, I was more focused on what I was doing than I was before.

Just a thought. :)