Tae Kwon Do No More

BanannaSmoothie

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
my goal is 3rd dan in TKD. i know i can make it to 1st, pretty sure i can get 2nd. 3rd is going to be really hard on me.

after that, my knees will probably be shot, and i'll be going to judo.

i'm glad you got what you needed out of TKD. hope all works out with you. maybe one day you'll be back for your dan.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
my goal is 3rd dan in TKD. i know i can make it to 1st, pretty sure i can get 2nd. 3rd is going to be really hard on me.

after that, my knees will probably be shot, and i'll be going to judo.

i'm glad you got what you needed out of TKD. hope all works out with you. maybe one day you'll be back for your dan.

I hope you advance to 3rd dan, and yes it's difficult but if you bear down you can accomplish what your goal is. I did it.

Me, I'd like to continue to 4th dan, master level, but I know it's still a long, hard, arduous ride. I don't care, TKD at this point is a large part of my life. I'll keep pushing forward.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It sounds like you will be able to enjoy life a bit more and direct more of your energy into what you really like. Sounds like a winning situation.

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am now officially retiring from Tae Kwon Do. I began Tae Kwon Do for physical therapy reasons. Now sadly I cannot perform the upper belt one steps required to my own satisfaction. That is not really the main particular reason. I have just lost the passion for the art.

I have been putting so much effort towards my Judo 3rd dan, instructing, going to other schools with my students etc. Not only that but my true passion is hapkido. In academic terms I am doing a double major. I reached upper gup status in Tae Kwon Do and well, I am ok with that.

Hapkido kicking is less harsh on the joints, more dynamic and devastating to the receiver. That is not to say Tae Kwon Do isn't a great art, I still love poomsea and practice them. However poomsea is my only enjoyment.

I will still post heavily on this board, like Drac I still want to participate in good TKD conversation. But as far as belting up is concerned, well "I am done with it."

Its good that you are studying martial arts and not styles. All too often people get hung up on labels. So what if you don't kick the same you did a few years ago? Its great that you are adapting and allowing yourself to grow and expand in other areas rather than kicking and punching. Best of luck to you in all that you do!

Latest Discussions