Street Fights

MattejMT

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello! iĀ“ve been thinking about street fighting much, IĀ“ve never actually been in a street fight before so I donĀ“t have any experience when it comes to that. IĀ“ve done Muay Thai for 2 years now and I just became a coach too. But I really wonder if I would have a chance in a street fight, everytime someone new that isnĀ“t so good comes into our sparring sessions I have trouble fighting them with boxing. It just feels harder to hit them and sometimes they even hit equally many punches as me.

What do you guys think about this and using martial arts in street fights?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why are you coaching at just two years in, when you are having issues with dealing with newcomers? But the answer isn't street-fighting...it doesn't prove anything, you're risking serious medical issues if you lose (or even if you win), and legal issues if you win (or even if you lose). Plus, you could be an awesome boxer or MT-ist, but what if the person you pick a fight with has a knife or gun on them? You're 17, not worth having permanent medical or legal issues (or death) for decades just because you have issues with newcomers.

What are you expecting to gain from it?

D

Deleted member 39746

Only advice i can give for group ones is, keep scanning and stay standing. this comes from watching videos, someone gets punched from a blind spot or they fall over. and you dont want to know how often for machete fights you see the person trip then get beaten/cut to hell.

Working on the basis you included unavoidable violence with avoidable.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For most people, it really is not difficult to go through life without getting into fights.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello! iĀ“ve been thinking about street fighting much, IĀ“ve never actually been in a street fight before so I donĀ“t have any experience when it comes to that. IĀ“ve done Muay Thai for 2 years now and I just became a coach too. But I really wonder if I would have a chance in a street fight, everytime someone new that isnĀ“t so good comes into our sparring sessions I have trouble fighting them with boxing. It just feels harder to hit them and sometimes they even hit equally many punches as me.

Depends on where you live, how good your gym is, how good you are, etc.

Like if you live in a rough area, there will be many dudes who are used to violence and fighting. Many kids in the 'hood knows street boxing, and they have speed and skills. And street boxing can be just as legit in techniques. Experience also means a lot...I'd say just as much as formal training.

But if you're having trouble with Noobs then you may not be very good and need a lot more sparring. High roundhouse kick to the head will usually end a street fight quick. Just train that a lot....but you could kill someone and go to prison for a long time b/c they're head can crack open on the way down onto the cement.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends on where you live, how good your gym is, how good you are, etc.

Like if you live in a rough area, there will be many dudes who are used to violence and fighting. Many kids in the 'hood knows street boxing, and they have speed and skills. And street boxing can be just as legit in techniques. Experience also means a lot...I'd say just as much as formal training.

But if you're having trouble with Noobs then you may not be very good and need a lot more sparring. High roundhouse kick to the head will usually end a street fight quick. Just train that a lot....but you could kill someone and go to prison for a long time b/c they're head can crack open on the way down onto the cement.
Yeah a high roundhouse kick is a great way to end a fight quick....because you'll get put down and get your head stomped in if you try it

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the pro

the issue with this question is there is no such thing as a standard opponent, so, if your in good shape and you must be aafter 2 years of MT, and a trained fighter, you should be able to just steam through the greatest % of the population,,
so thata you covered for drunks, general idiots road rage, etc

but then, there a fair chance that people who pick fights/ attack over petty arguments do so because they know they have an ability to fight quite well, other wise they wouldn't do it, in that case the jury is out, the fitter, stronger faster you are, the less the chance of someone just over welming you with physicality, train harder!!!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

At this point in my life the only way I know how to fight is using Kung Fu so by default, if I get into a street fight Kung Fu is the only thing that is going to come out unless I can get my hands on a chair, knife, rock, pen, or some other useful item. In a street fight Kung Fu is not the first option when there are better opportunities around. If I see an object that can be used in a fight then I want to use it before my enemy sees the same opportunity to use the object.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
if i am understanding your post correctly,
You are questioning your own fighting ability because you have been training for 2 years and have trouble sparring new students who have just come through the door and never trained before.

while two years may seem like a long time to you, its not really. At that level of experience you still going to be lacking in a lot of areas. being familiar with violent intention is one of them. you may still be lacking power in your strikes.
if your at a good gym with good coaches, i woudnt worry too much about it and just keep training.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah a high roundhouse kick is a great way to end a fight quick....because you'll get put down and get your head stomped in if you try it

You're that guy who's afraid to spar hard and never fought, so I doubt that you're someone I'd want to hear from, LOL.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is more of a myth than a reality.

Yeah, he's a funny guy. Too much training on the internet.

My go to move if I don't like someone when sparring or when it's time to get down, is to start out with an immediate high head kick. It's like a sucker punch almost. I've got it to where I don't telegraph anything, while we both are standing there just a little out of jab range so they think they're safe; but it's like the perfect head kick range.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're that guy who's afraid to spar hard and never fought, so I doubt that you're someone I'd want to hear from, LOL.
Are you trolling or just struggle with reading I've said multiple times I've fought professionally for years from when I was 18 until I was 35 in boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai and Mma so no I'm not scared to fight at all I just have better things to do with my life right now than get brain damage for no money.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you trolling or just struggle with reading I've said multiple times I've fought professionally for years from when I was 18 until I was 35 in boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai and Mma so no I'm not scared to fight at all I just have better things to do with my life right now than get brain damage for no money.

That's a good one!

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Street fights, streets races... All the risk for what? If you win a street fight against an unskilled opponent, what does it prove? If you do a Muay Thai, you should have opportunity to compete in MT, so you can tests yourself in your discipline against someone somehow skilled.

I wonder how you are instructor after 2 years. I am not surprised you are being hitted with only 2 years gap, or less, in training time. ā€˜Beginnersā€™ may be bigger, more athletic or easily have more train than you in martial arts.

Have you competed before? I though competition was quite mandatory to be MT instructor. You know it is not always the case, but I think it is the most common.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Street fights, streets races... All the risk for what? If you win a street fight against an unskilled opponent, what does it prove? If you do a Muay Thai, you should have opportunity to compete in MT, so you can tests yourself in your discipline against someone somehow skilled.

I wonder how you are instructor after 2 years. I am not surprised you are being hitted with only 2 years gap, or less, in training time. ā€˜Beginnersā€™ may be bigger, more athletic or easily have more train than you in martial arts.

Have you competed before? I though competition was quite mandatory to be MT instructor. You know it is not always the case, but I think it is the most common.

You don't have to have competed to be an instructor. There are some outlying cases.

If someone is getting pressed by a noob. It can be that difference from being able to spar to being able to fight.

And it is an adjustment issue.

I have mentioned this before sometimes a guy will walk in and just bang. (Charlie Zellenof style) And suddenly you have to dig in and overcome it.

I used to have an issue with it. But have changed my mindset to using it as a test of my character.

D

Deleted member 39746

I think the competed/doing it is a mixed bag with teaching. Going to switch it to more shooting self defence teachings and shooting combatives as thats how i know ho to word it.

I think the person teaching for that, should either have experience or be very educated in the subject, or be taught from someone who has both (preferably) or one of the two.

It is very much a mixed bag, the person with experience my teach what they have done (can fall into surviourship bias) and the person quite educated on the matters might teach someone which is terrible in practice as they haven't tested it.

Plus some people are just terrible at teaching. :p

Latest Discussions