Training for the Street or the Ring

A

adrenaline

I practise Muay Thai but I find that because the person who teaches me is not a ring fighter but rather trains me to fight on the street because I believe that the guy on the street will always tougher, meaner, harder than the toughest guy in the ring. But when i spar with other students when i visit a small gym every two weeks, I use techniques that are not allowed in the ring and everytime I get told that I'm not allowed to do that but it just never changes me because that is the way i've been taught and will always do. Do you think I should change my style to cater for the ring or keep it for the streets ?

Thank You

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by adrenaline

Do you think I should change my style to cater for the ring or keep it for the streets ?

well...that's probably just something you have to ask youself. which one is more important to you? no one here can decide that for you. i'll just say this: there's lots of people out there who can fight as dirty as they need outside on the street, but can also follow certain rules and regulations when they enter a ring. you just have to learn physical and mental self-control (not that you don't have either....)

OP
M

MartialArtist

I doubt the toughest man in the street can even compare to a professional fighter. By professional fighter, I don't mean UFC with rules, etc., but professional as in one who put in a lot of time and effort and strived to have complete mastery. The toughest street thug is in a whole heap of trouble against people like Sugar Ray Robinson or Lee or Tyson.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What techniques are you doing in the ring in MT that are illegal?!?! Are you biting his ear or hip throwing him? Pretty much everything is legal except for obvious throws and grappling/striking on the ground and of course biting.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Judo as a sport is great fun and a huge challenge.

I'm more scared when I get on the mat sometimes than when I am confronted in the street, because the chance of a broken bone seems so much higher on the mat.

If you can't choose between sport and self defence then don't.

Do both.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can change like the Wether in N.Y.
1 min. it's hot next it's cold.

In the streets U might start
knockin a Guy around next thing
Next thing U know he has pulled a Knife.

Now no matter how pre pared 1 is for a street fight
A knife in the gut can happen.

Or U kick the crap out of him 1 Day
& he sticks the next for Revenge.

if U are a guest in another Dojo U should
Respect there Rules.

Ring fighting does not Mean
U can't win in the streets
But the streets are for ever changing.------------
:boxing:

OP
K

kenposcum

I always trained for the street. I never really even gave pro fighting much consideration.
It shouldn't be hard for you to edit your repertoire to match up with wherever you're at. You should be able to go light contact, no contact, full contact, and you should be able to not throw things you know your partner doesn't want you to throw, as well as stuff you don't want to throw (example: for awhile, all I used in point sparring was a right backfist because no one could block it...but I was neglecting everything else. So I consciously didn't use my backfist, because I wanted to focus on using other weapons).
:asian:

OP
J

J-kid

For one you can own a gun , and so can the other guy. Lets not get into this kind of dussuccion what if he picks up a ROCKET LUNCHER> martial arts dos not mean we can dodge bullets at least most of us any how.

The strongest toughest street thug wont have any Training and will proble just be swinging like a mad man. Now lets pretend he is unarmed. And he is alone. Has no friends OR WEAPONS OF ANY KIND BESIDES his body.

And you are a martial artist vs this guy. Even if you train for ring or not. Your still gonna know alot more , I mean in a fight your not gonna be using rules your gonna brawl and since your Fit and trained to fight you will beat the thug . Also most thugs arnt in shape to fight. You will not be only able to Beat this guy but easy because if you train in the ring your used to fighting people even if there are rules you still are fighting. Next Your oppenent being a street thug has only done fighting vs someone with proble low amount of skill , So basicaly you got a experience person that fights vs someone who talks **** and swings like a idoit ,. The winner is gonna be the trained one,

THis is also assuming they are around same size and ht.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis

What techniques are you doing in the ring in MT that are illegal?!?! Are you biting his ear or hip throwing him? Pretty much everything is legal except for obvious throws and grappling/striking on the ground and of course biting.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Spitting at your opponent? :D

OP
C

Chiduce

Trying another instructor for sparring and tournament could be a possible solution!
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
T

theneuhauser

what makes you think that you will always fight "streetstyle" adrenaline? if you want to fight for sport, just learn to fight for sport. what are you doing, anyways? throwing sand in people's eyes?

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

dude, LMAO.

Muay Thai is a combat based art. combat as in war. street?!?...psh. streets are nothing. Muay Thai is Muay Thai, theres no such thing as street Muay Thai. ive seen vids and seen some jaw dropping moves. what restrictions are u talking about?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MartialArtist

I doubt the toughest man in the street can even compare to a professional fighter. By professional fighter, I don't mean UFC with rules, etc., but professional as in one who put in a lot of time and effort and strived to have complete mastery. The toughest street thug is in a whole heap of trouble against people like Sugar Ray Robinson or Lee or Tyson.

I have to agree, I wouldn't say the average street fighter is in better condition than most serious MAist.

Just view the "sport" aspect as just that, sport. Use the rules during the match and when confronted on the street use what you have to.

7sm

OP
S

Shinzu

in my opinion i would train for the street. there is more on the line than in a ring.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

in my opinion i would train for the street. there is more on the line than in a ring.

when you say theres more on the line, you mean weapons? muay thai doestn have any weapons training involved. so to say trainnig for the streets is wrong. like i said, theres no such thing as street muay thai or ring muay thai.

prove me wrong. what do you mean by street muay thai? wat techniques are in "street" mauy thai that arent in the ring?:asian:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When he said more on the line I think he meant your life is in danger as opposed to just your ego or getting banged up in the ring.

I too am a little confused as to the differences between ring and street Muay Thai. The only added techniques that you could use on the street that you can't use in the ring are eye gouging, biting and submission grappling on the ground. Everything else goes.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

we're talking muay thai here. i dont think theres submission grappling involved. as for eye gouging and biting, i dont think anyone trains for that:rofl: . do u bite bags or something at ur gym:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

and go ahead and try to bite a MT fighter. it just shows how desperate u are. he'll smack u upsidedown and insideout\

:rofl:

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a Muay Thai fighter.....

And I do practice biting and eye gouging.......

A man can chew through a huge raw steak in seconds with practice.

I don't get your attitude.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I bit through a tractor tyre in 3.2 seconds.

I'd swallowed the last bit in 15.7 seconds!

Training or what?

Advice for tractor tyre bite training:

1) Use a new tire. Old, muddy, tyres carry a risk of stomach complaints.

2) Start of on bicycle tyres and move up, no need to bite off more than you can chew!

3) Tractor tyres taste better with a good strong English mustard.

Latest Discussions