Dojo 50th anniversary

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Every year for the past 26 years, Therien Jiu Jitsu have hosted a large martial arts convention called Capital Conquest. This year is also the 50th anniversary of Therien Jiu Jitsu. I'm about to head off to join an international group of martial artists for a day of training and celebration. Will post pics later.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Frank, that's awesome. Happy anniversary to all the Therien folks from me. Can't wait to see the pics.

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I get my act together, I post some pics. Great day, spent time with some Canadian legends, Wally Slocki, Cezar Borkowski, Jean-Yves Theriault, Jean Therien and a transplanted American or two, such as Steve "Nasty" Anderson. I'm guessing 12-1500 people training in BJJ, Japanese Jiu jitsu, karate, kali, bo, iado, kubaton and karate and kickboxing. Instructors from France, Germany, USA and Canada. Trained with Chris La Cava, and surprised with how many mutual friends we have. Spent time with several of my old instructors, and some former students who are now instructors. Overall, a good day. Previous commitments have me missing out on the dinner and roast of John Therien this evening, another day of training tomorrow, and the kickboxing event tomorrow night.

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
CC1.jpg
cc2.jpg
cc3.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can't wait to see and hear more.

Wally Slocki, haven't seen him in a million years, heck of a fighter.

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
cc6.jpg
Joe Corley presenting John Therien with the Joe Lewis Eternal Warrior award

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
cc7.jpg
From left..Cezar Borkowski, John Therien, Harry Villeneuve, Alain Sailly(from France) and Jean-Yves Theriault showing off their Joe Lewis Eternal Warrior awards

Last edited:
OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
cc8.jpg
The traditional pose of Gladiator Martial Arts

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm so loving this. Wish I was there.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And how is Nasty Anderson? The last time I saw him he was riding shotgun, Billy Blanks was driving and I was in the back seat. I dove over the seat to strangle him and push him out onto the highway...but Billy, my instructor at the time, yelled for me to stop and shoved me back.

My guess is Steve has matured much since those days, yes?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
View attachment 21884 The traditional pose of Gladiator Martial Arts

I had hit dislike on this photo by mistake. Trying to hit little buttons on my phone is a pain in the butt. I had intended to hit "like"....but only because there isn't an "awesome" button.

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1cc.jpg
There were banners all around the banquet hall showing notables of the Therien instructors and students. I won't post them all, but Buka knew George back in the day.

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And how is Nasty Anderson? The last time I saw him he was riding shotgun, Billy Blanks was driving and I was in the back seat. I dove over the seat to strangle him and push him out onto the highway...but Billy, my instructor at the time, yelled for me to stop and shoved me back.

My guess is Steve has matured much since those days, yes?
There must be more to this story.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is, I'll get back to it after work. I'm on my way in now. But, the story had a silver lining.

Chris from CT

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Frank, it was great meeting you and training with you this weekend at Capital Conquest!

It seems it really is a small world. :)

Looking forward to next time.

Great day, spent time with some Canadian legends, Wally Slocki, Cezar Borkowski, Jean-Yves Theriault, Jean Therien and a transplanted American or two, such as Steve "Nasty" Anderson. I'm guessing 12-1500 people training in BJJ, Japanese Jiu jitsu, karate, kali, bo, iado, kubaton and karate and kickboxing. Instructors from France, Germany, USA and Canada. Trained with Chris La Cava, and surprised with how many mutual friends we have.

Latest Discussions