Some thoughts about discussing the martial arts

Status
Not open for further replies.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
They very well may be ignorant, but calling them that will just cause them to dig in their heels and double down on their position. It's not an effective tactic for convincing someone that they are wrong.

I can't say that I've ever done that-"called" someone "ignorant."

I'm sure I've said that their post seemed ignorant to me, and that's a difference that seems to have escaped people most of the time.

In the end, what frustrates me most is trying to make a point with facts and evidence, and having them dismissed.

That, and being called names......:mad: (see that? I miss the "flaming mad" smiley, too-this fella looks like he's just constipated....)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll do my best. As the topic is how to be more constructive in our discussions, do you have any specific, helpful suggestions? Perhaps others can benefit from my poor example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well since you ask my one advice is to be honest.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well since you ask my one advice is to be honest.
Could you be more specific? I'm genuinely interested. Do you think we have a general issue with honesty around here or just me?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I can't say that I've ever done that-"called" someone "ignorant."

I'm sure I've said that their post seemed ignorant to me, and that's a difference that seems to have escaped people most of the time.

In the end, what frustrates me most is trying to make a point with facts and evidence, and having them dismissed.

That, and being called names......:mad:
Distinguishing between facts and opinions is a tough one around here sometimes. It's particularly tricky when a poster mixes the two together.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could you be more specific? I'm genuinely interested. Do you think we have a general issue with honesty around here or just me?

Yes I can be more specific. Shut up and be honest.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
if you think I'm being dishonest would you consider sending me a pm with some more information? I'd appreciate it.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope, actually Steve I am going to take a number from someone much wiser than me on this forum and put you on ignore for now. Maybe I`ll check on you in a few months and see how you are doing with that self improvement you want to work so hard on.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except this topic isnt about you.

On the contrary, the remarks by several posters in this thread were in regards to what I supposedly stated in the previous thread.

If we wish to have a better discussion around these parts, it can start with a little bit of honesty. Wouldn't you agree?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Lol. Elder, you're warming up to the new emoticons. :)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
If we wish to have a better discussion around these parts, it can start with a little bit of honesty. Wouldn't you agree?

You confessed to being the textbook definition of a troll in post #15, pretty honest I`ll give you that.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You confessed to being the textbook definition of a troll in post #15, pretty honest I`ll give you that.

Me laughing at people getting angry over things said on a message board makes me a troll?

Interesting.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On the contrary, the remarks by several posters in this thread were in regards to what I supposedly stated in the previous thread.

LOL ok Im not really interested in having better discussions with you so Ill see if this new forum has an ignore feature

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL ok Im not really interested in having better discussions with you so Ill see if this new forum has an ignore feature

Good idea! Hopefully this means you'll stay out of my threads as well. :D

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then you can (and I think should) try to educate. But that isn't always possible. If the person doesn't want to be educated - if they cling to whatever misconceptions, false assumptions, incorrect facts, or whatever - then calling them names or engaging the practice of flogging a dead horse isn't really productive. We're all guilty of doing so, sometimes, but it's rarely (if ever) helpful.
Yes, but sometimes it eases the frustration and makes you feel so much better.
I mean :happy: instead of :banghead: .

:D

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not above laughing when people make complete fools of themselves, a favor I hope will be returned when appropriate. :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but sometimes it eases the frustration and makes you feel so much better.
I mean :happy: instead of :banghead: .

:D

I agree, absolutely. But it must be admitted that when you reach that point, you're no longer trying to educate or inform. You're just poking them for the comic relief.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, absolutely. But it must be admitted that when you reach that point, you're no longer trying to educate or inform. You're just poking them for the comic relief.[/QUOTE]

Well if it's for comic relief, please stump up some money :D
Home Comic Relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions