Reaction score
I guess that means ill get one lol.

Any tips on using it?

Thanks.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i say nope.

99.99999% of exercise equipment people buy for the home winds up in the garage after just a couple months.

if you're one of the few and proud, then go for it. but maybe keep that in mind.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or...start paying closer attention to garage sales! When I find that $50 Soloflex on someone's lawn my Camry wagon is SCREACHING to a halt :lol:

OP
N

NewTKD

White Belt
Reaction score
ok well apart from the price.

anyone got tips on using the versaflex?

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yes dont, I've used stretching machines in the past and have a permanent back injury from it, try the book i typed in the other stretching thread, its a lot cheaper and safer

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
good! I am confident you will improve your flexibility. You'll learn a lot about the different forms of stretching, when to do them, which ones to do, and how many sets etc....and also learn about some phsyiology of the muscle. I hope everything works well for you.

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
yes dont, I've used stretching machines in the past and have a permanent back injury from it, try the book i typed in the other stretching thread, its a lot cheaper and safer

Permanent back injury?? Did you try to be a bit too aggressive from the outset? Just curious how this could happen????

Hope you are ok!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No injuries here so far....

Honestly, I have a few books on stretching and a versaflex. The machine I use every day.....the books, not as much. I like the fact that I can sit on it and read for 20 minutes.

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
No injuries here so far....

Honestly, I have a few books on stretching and a versaflex. The machine I use every day.....the books, not as much. I like the fact that I can sit on it and read for 20 minutes.

I'm really on the fence -- it looks so practical!!!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since it's been mentioned in another thread, Thomas Kurtz recommends against both stretching machines and partner-assisted stretching.

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
Since it's been mentioned in another thread, Thomas Kurtz recommends against both stretching machines and partner-assisted stretching.

FearlessFreep -- what did Kurtz say against the stretching machines? Can you share?

I'm just doing research on them now.

Thanks

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
FearlessFreep -- what did Kurtz say against the stretching machines? Can you share?

I'm just doing research on them now.

Thanks

I actually don't remember details. I had borrowed the book and recall just reading that but I was more focused on building a stretching regime for myself before I had to give the book back, so I just chalked it up as "he doesn't like machines" and moved on

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Machines are great...in time...you will not use it anymore.

Why? ...most people think it is the machine that improves oneself.....in time everyone stops at one point from using them...

Why? it is not the machine but in one minds...to keep the strectching and excercising up to par....NOT the machines.

IF you want to improve one self....just DO IT...everyday without the machines....

Stretching comes from actual movements of the body...NO limit on the type of physcial excerise's too...

Push-ups, jumping rope, running, walking, squats, weight training, punching and kicking bags, plyrometics excercises and so on..is BETTER!

This one knows...so many excercise toys...NOT being use anymore....

Aloha ( IT is not the machine..but the "MIND TO DO IT EVERYDAY!" ....excercises!

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IF you want to improve one self....just DO IT...everyday without the machines....

( IT is not the machine..but the "MIND TO DO IT EVERYDAY!" ....excercises!

I agree. You do NOT need the machine to get the good stretch. It may help (I don't know, I've never used them). BUT, a good set of stretches will trump just one stretch on the machine, that I believe.

Now, I prefer Paul Zaichik's book Elastic Steel to Tom Kurz' work, but that may be only because it is easier for me to understand. I can say that Zaichik outfits you with a complete system of stretching for the martial artist, he does not wish to be all things to all people.

I have found it to be worthwhile to use his method.

All the best with your practice,

Robert

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
...what did Kurtz say against the stretching machines? Can you share?
He believes that they're unnecessary. He believes that you can get just as good results by stretching with no equipment. His results don't lie, but I disagree with him. IMO stretching machines can be helpful.

I think he's on much firmer ground when he argues against partner stretching, although I would never rule it out completely as he does. He thinks partner stretching is risky because your partner can't feel what you do, and may injure you.

True... but the key then is to use a partner who will be very careful and who has a feel for your level of flexibility.