Wavemaster XXL

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the MT bag is longer and perhaps thinner, it still is probably the same weight as a "heavy bag", but I think it is more stretched out. The "heavy bags" that I used and have had over the years were shorter and fatter. The MT bags being longer allowed for the low line kicking techniques. Where as the "heavy bags' were heavier on top to represent the upper body.

Back before MMA and MT were so prevalent, I worked out briefly at a karate (kickboxing) school (early 80's) and I remember any karate school I trained at having a "heavy bag" and at Greek's school he had a "banana" bag that was/is the MT type bag today, along with the standard "heavy bags" to do bag work on. It was unusual at the time.

Yeah those banana bags. Never actually seen up front, only in pictures. To be honest, it has never really occurred to me to think about heavy bags any differently. I don't really go into detail with sort of thing. If it is made by Intel or AMD I do lol. With bag work I have always had a punching bias in a workout. So I guess my thoughts on types of bags pretty lived there.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys, you have all been very helpful :) I should add "as usual" Due to costs, I am going to see if I can get a decent second hand stand, but go for a brand new bag.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys, you have all been very helpful :) I should add "as usual" Due to costs, I am going to see if I can get a decent second hand stand, but go for a brand new bag.

As MarkLynn said, there is a difference. Boxing heavy bags are more compact in length and wider, they are for shots in the punching range of movement. The MT bags are full length for kicking up to high head shots and down to knee height level and allowing for knees.

Also, MT bags range in density/hardness and diameter but in my experience the MT long bags, particularly the more narrow ones are much harder, packed more dense, than the boxing heavy bags. I deliberately got a long MT bag of a middle-upper range density that was hard enough to take the constant shin kicks but also able to soak up punches with a bit of give. A mate of mine had a MT bag which was so "hard packed" hanging in his garage that when I first put in a kick to it I got a shock! It was like leather stretched over a concrete tube! : )

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As MarkLynn said, there is a difference. Boxing heavy bags are more compact in length and wider, they are for shots in the punching range of movement. The MT bags are full length for kicking up to high head shots and down to knee height level and allowing for knees.

Also, MT bags range in density/hardness and diameter but in my experience the MT long bags, particularly the more narrow ones are much harder, packed more dense, than the boxing heavy bags. I deliberately got a long MT bag of a middle-upper range density that was hard enough to take the constant shin kicks but also able to soak up punches with a bit of give. A mate of mine had a MT bag which was so "hard packed" hanging in his garage that when I first put in a kick to it I got a shock! It was like leather stretched over a concrete tube! : )

Can't afford a MT style bag at the mo, gonna save up for one. Ordered a 5 foot Bad Breed bag. Got the strike bag thing with sand in as well already. So for now I will have to use the stuff at the gym for now. In terms of shin kicks, I am a little paranoid about my left. The bloody leg ballooned a while back. Think I had a shin splint, but I don't tend to take much notice of that kind of ****. Anyway, think I am in need of a good C3-PO bath, my left still hurts after three weeks. All I did was hit a friggin drain soak away. Anyway, bag arrives tomorrow. A five footer. For a minute I thought you wrote concrete lube stretched over leather :D

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I got the Wavemaster XXL about 9 months ago, for a great deal. My dojo has them as well. I needed a floor base bag for my basement. It moves more than I would like - and often I jam the base against something to keep it from moving. It works for this beginner and his daughter as well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use Wavemaster bags at the dojang because, shockingly enough, the YMCA doesn't want us drilling holes for hanging bags. I use a BOB (which is the same base with an anatomical bag) at home.
They work very well. The Wavemaster is not as firm as most hanging bags, in my experience, but this is not a bad thing for beginners; a softer target adds protection. The BOB is as firm as most hanging bags, as well as offering anatomical points to target.
The bases are filled with sand or water. I've always used water, but it does need to be 'topped off' periodically.
The idea is that the bag will tip when struck, but the heavy base will pull it upright.
The only caveat I have with these bags is this: When kicking full power, the upright shaft will flex a bit. I've split one along the seam from the mold (which is inherently a weak point), which resulted in a big mess and a need to replace the base. Replacements are not expensive.
And it was very entertaining to the students who saw it happen.
I've only seen this happen that one time, despite using them for many years, so it might well have been a faulty base.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the Wavemaster XXL about 9 months ago, for a great deal. My dojo has them as well. I needed a floor base bag for my basement. It moves more than I would like - and often I jam the base against something to keep it from moving. It works for this beginner and his daughter as well.

Do you manage to get anywhere near rapid kicking. IE, not having to wait to long for the bag to recoil back upright?

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use Wavemaster bags at the dojang because, shockingly enough, the YMCA doesn't want us drilling holes for hanging bags. I use a BOB (which is the same base with an anatomical bag) at home.
They work very well. The Wavemaster is not as firm as most hanging bags, in my experience, but this is not a bad thing for beginners; a softer target adds protection. The BOB is as firm as most hanging bags, as well as offering anatomical points to target.
The bases are filled with sand or water. I've always used water, but it does need to be 'topped off' periodically.
The idea is that the bag will tip when struck, but the heavy base will pull it upright.
The only caveat I have with these bags is this: When kicking full power, the upright shaft will flex a bit. I've split one along the seam from the mold (which is inherently a weak point), which resulted in a big mess and a need to replace the base. Replacements are not expensive.
And it was very entertaining to the students who saw it happen.
I've only seen this happen that one time, despite using them for many years, so it might well have been a faulty base.

Have used a bob and nice to use. Bloody expensive though. Not sure how one would fare being outside, even left with a cover on.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had 6 of the XXLs. Glued some 1/2 piled carpet on the bottoms which helped prevent the base from sliding around when kicking. There are excellent for a beginner just learning the fundamentals but 'will not hold up to power kicks'. All six have been broken where the upright post mounts into the base. A few of my students had purchased them for home work outs, they have all had the same concern. They simply can not withstand power striking. If one isn't a power striker...youth, beginner teens and adults...fitness/cardio workout...they will work ok.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had 6 of the XXLs. Glued some 1/2 piled carpet on the bottoms which helped prevent the base from sliding around when kicking. There are excellent for a beginner just learning the fundamentals but 'will not hold up to power kicks'. All six have been broken where the upright post mounts into the base. A few of my students had purchased them for home work outs, they have all had the same concern. They simply can not withstand power striking. If one isn't a power striker...youth, beginner teens and adults...fitness/cardio workout...they will work ok.

Well I guess holding off on power kicking would be next to impossible, even if just coming back up to fitness. Got my new bag today. It is a real light one at a 100 pounds, but will do for now. The heavy bitches at the gym will do when training.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you manage to get anywhere near rapid kicking. IE, not having to wait to long for the bag to recoil back upright?

I am a beginner, although a big guy, so my rapid is not very rapid, so it does come back up okay for me. I would suspect if I got faster it would not. I am also able to send it tilting back with hard punch, but its okay to wait a second for it to come back - I actually kind of appreciate the movement as more realism. We have some hung heavy hags at the gym with tires on the floor folding them mostly in place - but sometimes us new guys kick those out a bit too. I would love to see any bag that did not move much when I hit it, I suppose those type that tie to the floor.

Latest Discussions