Stretching Machines - Versaflex, etc.

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing some research on stretching machines since they look like they would be a great help (I have a book, but following it just does not seem as practical at times).

I am looking at the Versaflex by Century (it is also on sale at the moment for 149.00 + 10.00 for shipping). This seems like a good investment but when I went to read reviews on it on Amazon, a bunch of people said that it was a hassle to assemble and the directions were horrible.

I am looking for feedback on stretching machines you might have. Do you think getting one is worth it and has it helped you?

I have MS, so some of my muscles are naturally tight. I am loosening up a lot though as I prepare to take classes. The flexibility feels great and is helping a lot of the pain I experience. It's amazing, really.

Could you share some of your feedback and experience on these types of machines including what type you have, cost and where you might have gotten it.

Thanks a ton!!!!! :)

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you considered building your own? Some of the companies sell the rope and pulley stretchers for around $30, but they could be built for less than that at a hardware store.

AoG

SenseiBear

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can't say I have a ton of experience with stretching machines - I tried so early on in my training, and felt I could take or leave them. I moved on from there to yoga as a way to increase flexability... And then (and still sometimes utilize) incorporated some "dynamic stretching" routines... Mostly though, after about 10 years, I decided if I couldn't do a martial art related motion cold, I couldn't do it - so I mostly stopped worrying about stretching.

I know your situation is different, so I'm not advising against the machines...You may want to peruse Brad Appleton's work on stretching - it is about the most complete text on it I have come across. You can find it at: http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/

OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you considered building your own? Some of the companies sell the rope and pulley stretchers for around $30, but they could be built for less than that at a hardware store.
AoG

I have seen these cheaper versions and I definitely never considered building my own. It just seems like the machines hold the legs in place and nice and straight.

I'll have to check to see if there is any MS literature on them.

OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can't say I have a ton of experience with stretching machines - I tried so early on in my training, and felt I could take or leave them. I moved on from there to yoga as a way to increase flexability... And then (and still sometimes utilize) incorporated some "dynamic stretching" routines... Mostly though, after about 10 years, I decided if I couldn't do a martial art related motion cold, I couldn't do it - so I mostly stopped worrying about stretching.

I know your situation is different, so I'm not advising against the machines...You may want to peruse Brad Appleton's work on stretching - it is about the most complete text on it I have come across. You can find it at: http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/

Brad's work is definitely very complete. I bought a book on flexibility and the martial arts which covers much of the same (and has lots of pictures). I'll bookmark this link so I can take a more in-depth look at it. Thank you!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55740&highlight=versaflex

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50119&highlight=versaflex

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30086&highlight=versaflex

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40425&highlight=versaflex

Here are a few links for you to research. There's a lot of good info out there.

I actually just got my Century Versaflex about a month or two ago, so I have a lot of experience. I did a great deal of research on the other brands as well. The Versaflex seemed to be the most sturdy and affordable. I got mine for $120 from Ebay.

Some reviews...

First off, it does work well. I have increased my flexibility by 20 degrees (what the machine uses) where I can sit in it comfortably, in the past month. The translates to a few inches on the floor. So it does work, but progress is slow and it MUST be done every day. If I take even a few days off, I have lost some flexibility.

I have talked to some people who can do splits and straddles with no problem who can't get the machine very far....so it may do some different muscles, but I haven't noticed it.

Biggest problems that I have found....First, SET UP. The thing is a real PAIN to put together. It took me about an hour or so, but it wasn't easy, the directions are vague and don't really help much. If you get one, PM me and I can help with that part.

Storage is the other issue. It doesn't come apart easily and is pretty big to store. You can stand it up on its end, but aside from that, it pretty much just takes up floor space.

Personally, I recommend it. It does help and overall, I like the machine. The set up is a problem, but you do it once, figure out the tricks and it isn't too bad. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

I have no real experience with the other machines aside from the research I did.

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
...I decided if I couldn't do a martial art related motion cold, I couldn't do it - so I mostly stopped worrying about stretching.
Yes, but...

If you improve your flexibility through a well-thought-out stretching program, your range of motion "cold" will improve. There's evidence to support this.

gkygrl, Appleton's material is sound as far as I know. It is very similar (even identical in places) to the material in Tom Kurz's book Stretching Scientifically. IMO, that book is a pretty good investment... I think it's under $30. A good friend of mine in Canada tells me that he knows some folks in the sports medicine field (I believe I'm correct here) who question some of Kurz's ideas, but I've followed his recommendations on and off for years and have had pretty good results. In particular, his advice on what types of stretches to do, and exactly when to do them in your workout, seems very good to me.

btw, he is very down on stretching machines. I disagree with him there.

Good luck to you.

OP
gkygrl

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting links MBuzzy - I think I will do some more reading and research. I think I am like you in that department.

Thank you for the offer for assembly -- that seems to be the one issue so many people have. I'm "ok" with assembly but the directions need to be clear and people were saying that the Versaflex machine was pre-assembling some parts where the directions said they were unassembled. That could be confusing.

Perhaps they have improved things :)

Off to research I go ....

I'd love to find an assembled one on craigslist that someone is not using anymore. I think I will post that :)

You folks on MA are the best, thanks for your input!!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The main police training facility in London Ohio has a couple of Century Versaflex machines...I like them...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use the Proforce leg stretcher. I like it more than the Century due to the range of motion it has available, can go well past 180 degrees. Not that it is essential, but you will never have to worry about havigna useless piece of equipment laying around.

Latest Discussions