Wavemaster XXL

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is probably one of the best choices for a freestanding heavy bag. I think the other one you are talking about is the Versys VS1 bag: Century Versys Products

Which is a very different sort of bag, they aren't really comparable as they have very different intended uses. The VS1 is meant to be knocked over, taken down, picked up and slammed, used for GnP, etc. It's not meant to stand bang away on.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is probably one of the best choices for a freestanding heavy bag. I think the other one you are talking about is the Versys VS1 bag: Century Versys Products

Which is a very different sort of bag, they aren't really comparable as they have very different intended uses. The VS1 is meant to be knocked over, taken down, picked up and slammed, used for GnP, etc. It's not meant to stand bang away on.

Thanks. If I could, I would go for the slung bag. But yeah nice info :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are looking for something to do power punching and kicking on (boxing or muay thai like) they Do Not last.
Have had a few and have broken the bottom of the upright where it attaches to the base on everyone of them. If you are working fundamental punching, kneeing, kicking, ...etc they are ok. But for power work not worth the money.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't go plumb for knees. It puts you in an awkward position and you can get punched pretty easy. Cross grab so you can leave if you want.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you can punch me with any power when in my plumb then my plumb is poor.

Then most peoples plum is pretty poor around here.

It is the new in thing for Thai boxers not to engage in that straight up the middle style knee exchange. You are just physically more covered going in if you angle and enter from the side.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then most peoples plum is pretty poor around here.

It is the new in thing for Thai boxers not to engage in that straight up the middle style knee exchange. You are just physically more covered going in if you angle and enter from the side.
May be a new in thing for your area.
Was taught to angle on entering and to square off with the hips as well as T position; been doing this for years.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. If I could, I would go for the slung bag. But yeah nice info :)
Why can't you go for the slung bag? Where are you thinking of keeping and using this bag?

If it is more than just working some moves but you want to focus on power, better get a slung long heavy bag you can work punches and kicks on...have used those free-standers a lot in the gym while not at the club or home and they are only so good; as Danny T says if you are going to be using the one free-stander all the time, you may get fed up with its limitations and it won't last.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why can't you go for the slung bag? Where are you thinking of keeping and using this bag?

If it is more than just working some moves but you want to focus on power, better get a slung long heavy bag you can work punches and kicks on...have used those free-standers a lot in the gym while not at the club or home and they are only so good; as Danny T says if you are going to be using the one free-stander all the time, you may get fed up with its limitations and it won't last.

Hello Zero. You and Danny T on the button, but more than that, just thought of something stupidly obvious. I won't have room indoors for a wavemaster. Bet they are not meant for outdoors either. I'll look for a slung one that can also be anchored at the bottom as well.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Zero. You and Danny T on the button, but more than that, just thought of something stupidly obvious. I won't have room indoors for a wavemaster. Bet they are not meant for outdoors either. I'll look for a slung one that can also be anchored at the bottom as well.
Wow, hold up if you are going for a slung bag, I cannot recommend more than the Outslayer system. I have this in my garage at home and it holds a full length Sandee heavy bag and takes a pounding - the only thing it cannot quite take is super power front thrust or stomp kicks as the bag of course goes backwards into the support stand, but even that's ok.
This is what I have set up in the garage and it has not let me down after 3 years and to be honest it does not take up a lot of footage - but would look odd inside the house : )
Sure it's not the same as being able to rig one from the ceiling/ beams but that is not always a luxury you have!!
51gx-MpqsPL.jpg

PS: that dude's not me, I'm more jacked than that and have more (well, a bit more...) hair up top. Also, I know how to kick. : )

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, you may be able to buy them in-country now, ie there may be a direct UK supplier, back when I got mine I had to go direct from the US - but was still worth it.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think a wavemaster base would tear up pretty quickly if being used outdoors...

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers. Okay I'll have a look at Outslayer. What sort of money are those stands. I was thinking that maybe some old gym equipment maybe available somewhere. There is a UK supplier that sells through Amazon that sells the wavemaster, so hopefully I can get want I without the need for import tax.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cheers. Okay I'll have a look at Outslayer. What sort of money are those stands. I was thinking that maybe some old gym equipment maybe available somewhere. There is a UK supplier that sells through Amazon that sells the wavemaster, so hopefully I can get want I without the need for import tax.

Cost me about £250 for that stand my friend (and then I think about additional £75 for shipping). (I see on the US website they are still at US$399, which must be about right). That could be a youch factor as far as price goes...

I had my good old heavy bag already but if you don't have one you need to add that to the mix. But a decent muay thai long bag will not set you back that much and you can get that shipped to your house from UK suppliers without haulage costs.

A wavemaster is going to range anywhere from £190 - £350, you can get a decent one for around the £200-220 mark. But they are not the same and will not last as long as a good heavy bag rig, so depends what your options, time frames and desires are...

All the above are on a new buy basis, not second hand of course.

A cheaper option is just to man-up, wrap your paws in rope and start beatin' on some big tree growing in your back yard or out on the street (telephone poles also work just fine), that's how I managed to kill off the nerves in my shins so I suggest you do the same if you want to get serious.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cost me about £250 for that stand my friend (and then I think about additional £75 for shipping). (I see on the US website they are still at US$399, which must be about right). That could be a youch factor as far as price goes...

I had my good old heavy bag already but if you don't have one you need to add that to the mix. But a decent muay thai long bag will not set you back that much and you can get that shipped to your house from UK suppliers without haulage costs.

A wavemaster is going to range anywhere from £190 - £350, you can get a decent one for around the £200-220 mark. But they are not the same and will not last as long as a good heavy bag rig, so depends what your options, time frames and desires are...

All the above are on a new buy basis, not second hand of course.

A cheaper option is just to man-up, wrap your paws in rope and start beatin' on some big tree growing in your back yard or out on the street (telephone poles also work just fine), that's how I managed to kill off the nerves in my shins so I suggest you do the same if you want to get serious.

Cool. That stand looks sturdy enough and would be ideal for the back garden. Is a full size Mauy Thai bag just a normal heavy bag?

Anyway, I'm no woose, but kicking a telephone pole at my age would be a little extreme. If I had too, a little bamboo would be sufficient.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Transk53, the Wavemaster XXL is okay for what it is. However, if you can hang a bag always go with a Muay Thai bag. They are simply the best compared to anything out there.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The WMXXL in the photo from Amazon is the old WMXLL, in 2013/2014 Century came out with a new improved base and raised the price to about $400.00. However you can still get the old WMXLL for about $300.00 retail from Century you just can't get it wholesale.

I only mention this because I've seen the old WMXLL's listed at the new upgraded price.

I've used the WMXLL's in my classes for about 8 years now and they are good for what they are. Moveable bags that can be placed out of the way and then rolled out onto the mat to be used in different configurations on the dojo floor to help make the class workouts different. For that they are good.

However if I had a place at my residence for a free standing bag (a hung bag) as opposed to one that I could move onto the floor I'd take the hung (is this what has been referred to as slung?) bag anytime over the free standing bag.

When you hit the hung bag they swing or move some, the WMXLL rock back on their base and then slam down on the floor. Not real good in an apartment, but them my heavy bag that was hung from my garage rafters shook the house as well. But for inclose work like knees, elbows, and such because of the base of the WMs you can't get in as close as you could with a hung bag. I have always found this awkward feeling.

About the WMXLL being out side, that I don't think is a problem because you can roll it inside, assuming that you filled it with water instead of sand. But then if you fill it with sand moving it would still be a pain I would thing as well. At least the regular Wave Master was, which is why I opted to fill mine with water so I could move it easily in class. Filling it with sand would stop the rocking back issue, but then why not just have a hung bag.

The VS1 bag referred, again OK, I have one for class and depending upon the work out desired it can be a lot of fun but.... for hard hitting bag work I'd go with the hanging bag. My VS1, my teenage students can kick over very easily; so how fun would be slamming a MT kick into the bag and then stop and set it up again, then kick it over and set it up again and so on.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. Just thought a heavy bag was just that.

I think the MT bag is longer and perhaps thinner, it still is probably the same weight as a "heavy bag", but I think it is more stretched out. The "heavy bags" that I used and have had over the years were shorter and fatter. The MT bags being longer allowed for the low line kicking techniques. Where as the "heavy bags' were heavier on top to represent the upper body.

Back before MMA and MT were so prevalent, I worked out briefly at a karate (kickboxing) school (early 80's) and I remember any karate school I trained at having a "heavy bag" and at Greek's school he had a "banana" bag that was/is the MT type bag today, along with the standard "heavy bags" to do bag work on. It was unusual at the time.

Latest Discussions