Stretching advice

W

wayne

Can anyone give me any advice on how to do box splits?

Ive always been very flexable, and ive only recently started
stretching regularly every day. I visited a gymnastics hall and
the teachers said that with the flexablitiy i have now, if i stretch
every day i should have full box splits in about 3 weeks

The thing is that now that im stretching my legs seem to have
become more tighter than they used to be.

I think maybe i have pushed myslef too hard and the muscles in
my legs felt threatened and have began to retract back.

Can anyone give me any advice or training tips, im putting in
the time and effort but maybe its not the right kind of effort

thanks alot

wayne:asian:

OP
B

brianbarton

I have always understood that there is no real secret or shortcut to ahieving excellent flexibility.

The answer is to stretch regularly using proper technique without bouncing into the stretch.

Check out www.EmpireGym.net

Brian
Dojang.co.uk

OP
R

Rob_Broad

As a former gymnast I acan tell you that slow and steady wins the race when it comes to flexility. My favorite stretch for people is to put their but against the wall as they lay on their back on hte floor. Then open the legs as far as they can go. gravity will do the rest. I suggest that it is a great time ot read a book while doing this stretch. In a few weeks you will be amazed at how much your flexibity has improved.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor had us do that stretch, Rob, and you can definitely feel it. Gravity works :D

Speaking of which, I have to start doing that again. Reading a book while doing that is a great idea.

Cthulhu

OP
R

Rob_Broad

My personal twist for the stretch is to take a hot bath before the stretch. The bath should relax the entire body and the heat should also make the stretch even better for you.

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
One thing you can do to help stretches is a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar a day. It helps loosen your muscles, giving you just a little bit of a push. Just make sure you put it in a very tall glass of water. VERY tall. When it's diluted, just chug it, or the taste will linger.

Bottoms up!

:drinkbeer:cheers:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
deadhand31,

May I ask where you got this from? I'm just curious, as I've never heard of that before.

Thanks,

Cthulhu

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've had this from many sources. First time was a pamphlet given to me by my AP Bio teacher. He's a real homeopathic remedy/herbal nut. There are also several black belts in my school who have tried it in the past to get down to full splits, as they are a requirement for black belt. I'll try to see if I can dig up more sources.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks, deadhand31. If I see more on it, I may just have to give it a try :)

Cthulhu

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
well, can't find it online.... i have found sites saying that it strengthens bones and cartilage. I've just started doing it myself. My master instructor recently made an edict that I have to be at full chinese and side splits before i test for high red belt at the latest. That's around 5 months away. I'll let you know how it works. In the meantime, keep on stretchin :erg:

OP
V

vincefuess

Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its sour punch, and also what gives it the therapeutic effects. Acetic acid is the base of most non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS)- the most common being aspirin (acetisalicylic acid to be accurate). It primarily acts by "thinning" blood, but has other properties that reduce inflammation and reduce pain. It is particularly effective in reducing muscular pain, hence its benefits to stretching and flexibility. It is also reputed to be good for the cardiovascular system as well, though it can be hard on the digestive tract for those who are sensitive to it. Even if you are not sensitive to it, over-consumption of either vinegar or NSAIDS can cause stomach or intestinal bleeding. This will be indicated by excessive, prolonged heartburn or blackened stools. I am lucky in that I have a "cast iron stomach" and I consume hefty amounts of acetic acid daily. With my arthritis, it keeps me going.

OP
J

John_Boy

I have noticed a marked difference in stretching results when I incorporate a strengthening regimen along with the stretching. Strengthen and Lengthen you know! At first you might feel as though it is counter productive, but in the long run strengthening protects the muscles and joints and allows for greater flexibily.

OP
K

KenpoGirl

What amount of Acetic acid do you recomend, for someone with a relatively normal stomach? I realise you may not be a professional homeopath and it would not be a "professional opinion", but I was wondering if you could supply a suggestion.

Deadhand suggested a tablespoon of cider vinegar, would you agree?

Thank you for any information.

Latest Discussions