should i get a versaflex?

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is interesting to read the two sides of the argument. For the meantime, I think I will try my own stretching program and see what I can accomplish.

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Permanent back injury?? Did you try to be a bit too aggressive from the outset? Just curious how this could happen????

Hope you are ok!

No I wasn't aggressive and was stretching after class so my body was well warmed up. I wasn't trying to force myself into a painful stretch or anything, just POP!!!

Regardless of my back(which does feel much better now), I still would not suggest getting one. "Secrets of Stretching" by Kurz is a great book if one really wants to improve their flexibility and strength by explaining when and which stretches to do. With the book, you save money, learn how to stretch properly, and you have to think about what you're doing and focus on the exercise instead of just sitting there hoping your muscles are getting stretched!!!!

and Thanks, my back feels pretty good so long as exercise and "work it out" daily.
icon7.gif

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep -- what did Kurtz say against the stretching machines? Can you share?

I'm just doing research on them now.

Thanks

This is what Kurz said about stretching machines(pg 113, Stretching Scientifically):

There is no need for using stretching machines. In relaxed stretches you can as easily relax into a stretch on a smooth floor. In isometric stretches, a machine will make it more difficult for you to tense your muscles because it prevents the weight of your body from pressing on your legs and thus forcing them to tense more. The harder you tense in isometric stretches the greater is the following relaxation and the resulting stretch.