Self-defense FOR one's dog

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen a few threads at MT about SD against dogs, but what about protecting our beloved pets?

In my daily meanderings in my neighborhood, I'm usually accompanied by my dog, an arthritic 8yo retired medical service animal. Since his retirement he's gotten a bit vocal, but he has impeccable manners and temperament. I know from experience that he will not come to my defense in any altercation, and as such I'm more afraid for his safety than my own if it ever came to that.

In my Systema class every so often I try to brainstorm what movements would be safe for him in his over-the-shoulder leash, and I come up blank every time. I still carry my pepper spray as a visual deterrent but I'd really hesitate to use it on the chance of spraying either one of us. (I may soon switch to a taser.)

How do other people approach this? Any suggestions?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Whilst nobler in the mind to protect your beloved pet... It all depends upon the size of the dog, no? Never mind the Roosevelt size of the dog in the fight the size of the fight in the dog line... a small poodle isn't going to defend itself well against a pissed off Pit Bull.

Honestly... I have no ideas really.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
.45 to the head works very well on dogs. Maybe not so good on black bears, so I usually carry the .10mm.

That'll do the job-dog, bear or mountain lion-more worried about the last two than most dogs, though......

I have to differ with you. if i have to shoot any thing lethally that is a deadly threat with a pistol, it will be with a .45.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
.45 to the head works very well on dogs. Maybe not so good on black bears, so I usually carry the .10mm.

That'll do the job-dog, bear or mountain lion-more worried about the last two than most dogs, though......

I think the question is how to defend the dog, not how to defend against the dog.

As to that, I don't have an answer. I've thought about it, and I think my dog would be on her own. I hope she does well, and I'd be sad if she was hurt or worse, but I'm not sure there's any way I could do anything for her, other than eliminate the threat as quickly as possible.

-Rob

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the question is how to defend the dog, not how to defend against the dog.

Thank you.

The best I've come up with so far is his intelligence. I lost him once several blocks from home, and after an hour and a half of panicked searching I came home to find him sitting placidly on my doorstep.

The main challenge is this: http://tiny.cc/WsEzE http://tinyurl.com/d7u2xj

I tried to find an image showing it in use, but 3 Google searches of 4 pages each came up empty. (I don't know why that would be so hard! I digress.) It's very simple. You sling the leash over your right shoulder, Fido walks on your left. You have both hands free, and if Fido pulls, you get dragged by your whole torso rather than having your arm ripped off. I love the thing.

It would be a HUGE liability in a confrontation though - that 10 seconds of twisting our of the leash would require me to twist my torso and sacrifice forward vision and eye contact.So that's part of my dilemma.

http://tiny.cc/WsEzE http://tiny.cc/WsEzE http://tiny.cc/WsEzE

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

As to that, I don't have an answer. -Rob

I did. If a bear or mountain lion attacks one of my dogs, I'm going to shoot them with the pistol.

I think most dogs wouldn't have much chance against my dogs, though I'd likely do the same.

I think an unarmed man would probably rather be shot than deal with the dogs, so that's not an issue.

Maybe she wasn't clear about what she's defending the dog against, and maybe my answer could have used some clarifying, but the likelihood of her dog being attacked by a person is probably pretty slim, don't you think? Of course, the likelihood of her being attacked while with her dog is another story, and my answer still might be the same....

chinto said:
I have to differ with you. if i have to shoot any thing lethally that is a deadly threat with a pistol, it will be with a .45.

Ooh. Differ with me, that's okay. I'm real fond of the .45, but it's not going to make the bear lie down like the 10mm. Please note that I didn't say 9mm, I said 10mm, which is really the only reliably viable auto round against bears. Of course, the very reasons why it out performs the .45 are what makes it a difficult round for some-higher chamber pressure does mean higher recoil, but the wife and I shoot them a lot, both have fairly big hands, and can handle it well.

Keep your .45, whatever makes you happy, man....

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The problem with defending a dog (or a person) is to get them to stay where they are or take cover whilst you do what you do. People and animals have a maddening tendency to get underfoot whilst deviltry is upon them.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

The main challenge is this: http://tinyurl.com/d7u2xj

I tried to find an image showing it in use, but 3 Google searches of 4 pages each came up empty. (I don't know why that would be so hard! I digress.) It's very simple. You sling the leash over your right shoulder, Fido walks on your left. You have both hands free, and if Fido pulls, you get dragged by your whole torso rather than having your arm ripped off. I love the thing.

Don't use it, then. Get a halter, and teach the dog to walk with a loose leash; your dog shouldn't pull when you walk, especially an 8 year old dog with arthritis. Then get a leash with a quick disconnect that you can wear on your belt, if constantly having your hands free is an issue, or use a conventional leash but teach the dog to sit when you drop it.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen a few threads at MT about SD against dogs, but what about protecting our beloved pets?

In my daily meanderings in my neighborhood, I'm usually accompanied by my dog, an arthritic 8yo retired medical service animal. Since his retirement he's gotten a bit vocal, but he has impeccable manners and temperament. I know from experience that he will not come to my defense in any altercation, and as such I'm more afraid for his safety than my own if it ever came to that.

In my Systema class every so often I try to brainstorm what movements would be safe for him in his over-the-shoulder leash, and I come up blank every time. I still carry my pepper spray as a visual deterrent but I'd really hesitate to use it on the chance of spraying either one of us. (I may soon switch to a taser.)

What I advocate to my community and citizens is that keep the spray, but gain a stick or better yet , cut off the end of a broom handle off about 2 feet of it and carry it with, light metal or wood, both light enough, but sturdy enough. It's a longer (visual) deterent to any other dog that may want to visit you and your dog on your walks. I carry one on my walks with my dog, never failed me yet. Most dogs don't like long visual deterents at all and it's the cheapest way to do it.

As stated, teach your dog not to tug you along, it won't take you long to teach him/her to walk with you, not forceably lead you. If approached by another dog or one heads your way, shorten that leash up till you have complete control of your animal and you can defend yourself and your animal without any interference from yours or very little, not enough to matter in your actions.

Now if there is more then one dog or the situation just gets out of hand, release your dog and you can freely administer corrective knowledge to the other dog(s) at free will. There are just some situations where you might just have to let the dog fend for itself until you can aide it, both of you getting injured will do no good.

Time for work, I'll revisit this tonight.

OP
Flea

Flea

MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe she wasn't clear about what she's defending the dog against,
You're absolutely right. I'm worried about the safety of my dog if someone were to attack me, and I had to defend myself. When I'm out and about I almost always have my dog with me so it's critical for me to be able to factor him into any SD scenario.

There is another hands-free leash design that's worn like a belt, maybe I should look into that. In my experience it's virtually impossible to get a dog not to pull at some point. He's extremely good about it overall, but no dog can resist the occasional squirrel. For deeply personal reasons, I refuse to get a gun (not saying this to initiate an pro/anti gun conversation, it's just my personal choice.)

I also ran this by my dog's trainer, who has a TKD brown belt, and he came up empty too. I don't think there's any good answer to this question either, but I felt it was worthwhile to run it up the flagpole. The funny thing is that at 60 pounds he has an intimidation factor simply by being there. Never mind that everyone has seen him walking around in a service vest in the grocery store and on the bus, he's dangerous because he's a dog. :lfao:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flea said:
I'm more afraid for his safety than my own if it ever came to that.

In case of cabin depressurization, the oxygen masks will fall from the ceiling. Pull down on the mask to activate the flow of oxygen. Place your own mask on before assisting anyone else.

One can do nothing to help a loved one - be it a pet, child, relative, friend, or lover - when one becomes incapacitated.

Protect yourself first.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am unsure if it is protecting Dog against Dog or Dog against human.

I always carried a big stick when I walked the Dog. It is hard to break the Dogs up when they are fighting you run the risk of getting bit in the process. However there are safer ways to do so.

http://leerburg.com/dogfight.htm

I have seen hose water sprayed on Dogs work too.

If the dog is on a leash try to keep the leash short and put yourself between the dog and its attacker. Using a big stick,taser what ever may be enough to protect you and the dog from attack.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Elder, you own the Fila's yes? You know Flea, this is what you need. A Fila puppy. A nice sturdy female Fila puppy, they are awful loyal to their owners, an can be a wee bit protective too. I don't think you'd need a gun or stick on your walks.
lori

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Elder, you own the Fila's yes? You know Flea, this is what you need. A Fila puppy. A nice sturdy female Fila puppy, they are awful loyal to their owners, an can be a wee bit protective too. I don't think you'd need a gun or stick on your walks.
lori

This is a really big understatement. Filas aren't for everyone. When I siad that someone would rather be shot than have my dogs at him, I meant it. It's also not the best dog to have in an urban area, 'cause they just don't like "strangers," and are very territorial....

A hard-temprament Fila could potentially literally eat someone protecting its owner.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

The BEST self-defense for your animal is Obedience training, Obedience training, Obedience training........the biggest threat to dogs on a leash is suddenly finding themselves off a leash and the owner having no verbal control over them.

The absolute best self-defense skill your dog can master is being able to be put on a VERBAL DOWN command, and remain there for 5 or 10 minutes, EVEN with you not in sight. That means that you'll be able to order a down and be sure your dog will stay put while you take care of whatever business as necessary........and that INCLUDES obeying the down command when approached by another dog or seeing a cat or other fleeing animal!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sgt, that sounds like great advice, I just don't know how I could possibly follow it myself!

I have a 2 and 1/2 year old Labrador. He's sweet and gentle but very headstrong. He is a continuous leash puller. I have taken him to obedience school to no avail. Their advice is always "give the leash slack and praise and offer treats when he isn't pulling, that will train him to walk next to you nicely." Horsepuckey!!

I don't know if this kind of stubbornness is common to labs or what -- he's my first. He and I go on a nice walk every day and I am constantly tugging him back to my side, then for a second he'll walk along tamely but before I know it he's edged out front again to pull me on. Very frustrating.

He also doesn't appear to hear me when he's very interested in something else. So in an emergency situation, I'm sure he'd completely ignore any command, be it Down or Come or whatever.

Oh well, sorry to vent, I agree it would be splendid to have him so well trained as you describe...at my wits end on this one though.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sgt, that sounds like great advice, I just don't know how I could possibly follow it myself!

I have a 2 and 1/2 year old Labrador. He's sweet and gentle but very headstrong. He is a continuous leash puller. I have taken him to obedience school to no avail. Their advice is always "give the leash slack and praise and offer treats when he isn't pulling, that will train him to walk next to you nicely." Horsepuckey!!

I don't know if this kind of stubbornness is common to labs or what -- he's my first. He and I go on a nice walk every day and I am constantly tugging him back to my side, then for a second he'll walk along tamely but before I know it he's edged out front again to pull me on. Very frustrating.

He also doesn't appear to hear me when he's very interested in something else. So in an emergency situation, I'm sure he'd completely ignore any command, be it Down or Come or whatever.

Oh well, sorry to vent, I agree it would be splendid to have him so well trained as you describe...at my wits end on this one though.
Go to this guy's website
Read, watch some videos, probably need to buy a DVD or 2 (or 3). I'm pretty sure you are not the pack leader.

Latest Discussions