Stoopit neighbor , stoopit dog

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is more of a vent than anything else.

I've lived in an otherwise lovely apartment complex since August, and every so often a border collie sprints up out of nowhere and charges at my dog. The full-on aggressive language is unmistakable - rigid stance leaning forward, tail upright and moving very slowly, ears flat, teeth exposed, growl. Only twice was the owner anywhere nearby, and of course offered no apology.

Tonight was the eighth time, and this time the owner saw it. I took my dog home and went back to talk to him as politely as I could. "He's a border collie!" Well duh, so is my dog, but there's a huge difference between aggression and herding. "My dog isn't aggressive!" Predictably, he slammed the door in my face. Naturally he's not really in a position to know whether his dog is aggressive because it roams free a lot of the time. Shouldn't I know it's my responsibility to evade his dog because he's entitled to do whatever he wants? :rolleyes:

I hate to do it, but I think I'm going to have to strap one on and escalate this with a complaint to the management. It's not my style to piss and moan to a third party but he made his choice by closing the door. I'll admit there's some ego at play for me, but eight times is a track record. And if the owner refuses to do something as simple as use a leash, it's a public safety hazard. It's a family complex and there are other dogs, old folks, and small children around. I don't want to do him any harm with it, but a snotty letter from the office might make him think a little more clearly about keeping his dog at home. It's either that, or I call Animal Control.

I know some of you are going to tell me to shoot the dog, but that isn't realistic. And besides, it isn't the dog's fault that his owner is an ***. He just needs some training. He is, after all, a border collie.

My suggestion if you already havent....call the police and make a report of this! I live in a condo complex. There are a few dogs in the area, mostly small breed. I have a Shepherd/Husky mix. A few months ago, while walking him in the AM, he was looking for a spot to do his thing, and suddenly he looked up and across the street. I looked over as well, to see the front door of one of the units open, and a Boston Terrier come out and dart across the street towards us. The little bastard comes running, barking, and growling over to us, and comes after my dog. Of course, he starts barking back, snapping at the dog. I'm doing my best to get away from the situation...all the while the clueless woman is standing at her door, doing NOTHING! I couldn't believe this. Finally her dog runs away. This time, I did nor said anything, other than mutter a few unkind words.

Fastforward...just a few weeks ago, we're out again. This time, it was a bit before 6pm. Passing by the same unit, I see the door open, and here comes the dog. I'm thinking, "Oh boy here we go again." Once again, the little **** comes across the street. My dog isnt aggressive, unless he's pushed of course..lol, so they start fighting. It was dark and hard to tell if he bit the Terrier. Again, the dumb ***** is standing there, watching. I yelled 5 times, "Get your dog!" Finally, she comes across the street and now the dogs running from her. I'll spare the choice words I was using, but made it clear that this was the last straw. I obviously had an effect on her, as she runs back to the house, closes the door and turns off the lights. This was after I told her I was calling the cops.

Went back home, made the call. The ACO came out. Talked to me, went to her unit, and of course, nobody was home. Comes back to me, takes a statement, and follows up the next day.

Sure enough, the dog wasnt up to date on the license. Due to it being private property, they can't enforce leash laws (the condo assoc. can though) but they can act on the nuisance laws, and a fine for not being registered.

I spoke with the property mgr. a few days after, and he told me 'her side of the story' which I poked alot of holes in. LOL. Apparently the woman was the mother of the girl who owns the dog. She tried to say that my dog lunged at hers, which wasnt true. He wasnt the aggressor but hes not going to stand by and be attacked either. LOL. She said a few more things, to which I told the guy what really happened, not the fabricated stories she was telling.

The ACO continued to follow up and so far no more issues. They did tell me that I should report any future incidents, and said that I should have reported the first time, but sadly, I didn't. Oh well...no biggie.

People need to take responsibility for their dogs. I dont care how small a dog is..some think that all they need to do is open the door, no leash, and let it run around, and it'll stay there.

As I said, this is an issue that is serious. If you havent already, start the paper trail.