Home defense and your dog

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
That is pretty cool, Rich. Easy for a Great Dane, however, a little harder for a Shitzu ;)

They used to teach small dogs some tactics for shows that would have them attack the underside of other dogs. One wonders if that technique could be modified? ;)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RichK said:
My Uncle was k-9 cop as I was young, pre-teen before cars, and I learned a little. Had two dogs this go around, one just died last month at 5. The one that just died people would get upset with me because I would kick at her. She loved it by attacking at my feet. I taught her that as she was a small keeshound and that would be the likely thing for people to do. The other one she is 1/2 shepard and 1/2 husky 85% black. My wife will walk with her before and after dark as she is highly tuned in to danger and lets someone know when they are not welcomed and to close. I have only trained her on walking and being alert, she picked the danger insticts up on her own. Pets can also be protectors. Taking her hiking is a big plus as she will wake up quiker than I.

Speaking of K-9, I have a friend who is a K-9 Officer with nice Shephard Partner. While playing with him at his house we were playing tug, and I would occasionally lift him up so he could not pull as hard. But he would not let go. Cause we was still playing. :D Well one time he felt that I was about to lift him again and so he launched himself forward at me and placed his front paws on my front shoulders and pinned me to the wall. I let go of the rope and hugged him and told him he was a good boy. Well, his sister who is a breeder and trainer of dogs as well, gasped and yelped at the motions for she was surprised. I was connected to the dog through the rope and was not so suprised. I also knew that the method of training is positive training with very little negative if any for the K-9 Officer. My friend was glad I had not denied him the rope nor yelled at him for it because of the traiing method they were using. So he had no problems with it but others did. Not me for I knew the dog and I were playing.

And as some might say why would an officer allow his partner to play with someone like this, it was part of his socialization to make sure he was not afraid of large guys.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Tradrockrat, umm I'm gonna have to agree to disagree here with ya on the description of a "Guard-dog". Your description is right on for a police or military type of dog...

Guard dogs at home are different. Equally aggressive but a PACK or Den-type Dog...

A dog that is trained to take down a human being and hold them til called off yet can still be ruff and tumbled by the house kids is basically the same as this type of guard/den dog.
The training is not as rigid as say with a full blown working police/MP animal. Kids are allowed to handle/pet/play with the animal so that it gets a sense of family and a knowledge of WHOM it's supposed to protect. By scent (and by observation) it'll know it's own pack/den members.
I've friends with a family that bought a very VERY expensive doberman. Trained in Germany this dog had the type of training Tradrockrat, but it was also given training to be a house pet as well. Very unique, as I was able to approach the house and such and wait til I was recognized ( I was a frequent house guest and over-nighter), and then pet and actually play with this animal... wrestling and all that... but my friend for purposes of having fun (f-ing with me) would put the dog on high yellow alert and it would stop and turn and stiffen and basically be en-guarde with me waiting for that word of attack from it's master. At that point I knew I had to just hold still and talk calmly to get my buddy to put the dog back on green then I could play and wrestle with it again. Like I said... unique training.

You are absolutely right, but it still requires continued training and work between the owner and dog - many people aren't up to that level of commitment. Home defense dogs might be more socialized than the MP / Police dog, but I still think my main points hold true. ;)

BTW - it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "no sudden moves" when you're the object of a Guard dogs attention, don't it? :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
tradrockrat said:
You are absolutely right, but it still requires continued training and work between the owner and dog - many people aren't up to that level of commitment. Home defense dogs might be more socialized than the MP / Police dog, but I still think my main points hold true. ;)

BTW - it gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "no sudden moves" when you're the object of a Guard dogs attention, don't it? :)
Oh absolutely. Owners of their dogs HAVE to have the level of committment anyway if they're going to have a dog. Think about it what good would having a child do if all you're going to do is just feed it and bathe it once in a while? To me it's the same thing.
If owners would just work with their dogs for at least 15 minutes a day... 15 minutes! Turn off the damn TV and computer for that long... then go back to creating a deeper indentation on your couch and computer chair.
That's probably what the doberman of my friend's parents was trained... "Home Defense". From what I observed the dog was very well trained, mannered, respectful and patient. I could hold a end-cut off a piece of steak from it's nose and it'll just look at it. When I give a verbal "o.k." then it'll gently - gently take it from my fingers. Wonderfully trained.
I have full agreement with your MP/Police trained dogs' points. :D
And yeah, no sudden moves was the order of the day when that dog was on alert and focused on me. Remarkable though... ignored everything else but me. Didn't even growl or nothing just stood there looking ever so intently at me.
I asked my buddy would he be able to call the dog back if he gave the attack command and then suddenly recend it. He said that the trainers said it was possible but not recommended. That they (the family) would have to be as committed to the attack as the dog would be. Kinda like a loaded gun.
Sheesh!

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My family has bred dogs since before I was born, and my current dog is a 60kg Rhodesian Ridgeback. Absolutely lovely dog, perhaps a touch over-excitable, but completely useless as a guard dog. Unless you happen to look like another dog, all he expects when he sees a stranger is dog treats. If you see him standing at the glass door wagging his tail, you know you've got a visitor.

He doesn't like children though. Where we used to live, there was a small gap under the back fence, and the children a couple of houses down used to throw rocks and sticks at him. Little bastards.