Self Defense DVDs

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Brassmeister, I'm going to be rather blunt here, and try to explain why you've received the answers you have, expected or not.

Thanks. Yeah, I expected some of what I saw here but I wanted to wait for a more even handed response before jumping back in.

By this you mean that you were waiting for someone to come along and give some form of tacet approval of your plan? Why? If you're set on it, you don't need our permission, and if you're asking for serious advice, why would you just be waiting for someone to say what you want them to, rather than listen to everyone who say it's a bad idea with no real payoff? The less-positive answers to your query might not be what you consider "even handed", but they come from long experience and a true understanding of the reality of what we're talking about, which, to be blunt, you don't have. You know your family situation and what you want (which is honestly unrealistic the way you're approaching it), but we know what is needed for any benefit to be found... and that's not present in your post.

Just to add some more details, my youngest is a black belt (in a mixed tae kwon do program) so I well understand both what martial arts has to offer and the time and effort required to achieve those results. I'd love it if my older girls took the same interest. But they haven't.

Hmm. How old is your youngest, then? You've mentioned that you have some daughters "at or near college age", are we talking her being 17 or 18, or are we talking 15 or 16? Or younger?

Additionally, if it's a "mixed TKD program", that's not really sounding all that good, honestly. It might be, certainly, but that type of description is typical of what are sometimes referred to as "McDojo's", which try to follow trends and fads, focus on kids and contracts, but have little of any real quality to offer. Easily digestible, but not nutritious, if you follow me.

Finally, even if her school was a high quality one, her attending doesn't mean you actually understand what is required, or how the training needs to be conducted in order to gain any real benefits. The only way you can say something like that is if you were in the class as well, and also worked your way to a black belt. At the moment, you don't actually know.

Also, I've had a fair bit of training myself in unarmed and armed self defense. I've taught the older girls what I know and they took one course when they were smaller. So I do have some sense of what is essential self defense technique, what is sport and art, and what is character building. (And, no, that is not an insult to marital arts; I love that my youngest is getting all of these things and wish my older girls were.)

Okay, can you clarify what you have in terms of training? Your profile states "none" for primary art and ranking, what is your background? You stated in your OP that "Captain Chris'" approach gelled with what you think about self defence...

Oh, but self defence is far less about technique than it is about other things, for the record. That's probably where I'd suggest starting, honestly.

I also appreciate the vapid promises of DVDs and books. Though I could probably list of few books of value I've never tried self defense DVDs before.

It's not just the promises of "devestating power!" and "never walk in fear again!", it's more that the entire construct and form of information presented is not what is required for actual education/training to be effective. There is no feedback, there is no allowance for personal requirements, there is no correction, there is always far too much missing (as some things that could be needed would only be picked up by an instructor watching you), and more. They just simply don't work. Then you get to the fact that most who get them don't even follow the training regime required to give it a partial chance anyway.... mainly because if they aren't interested enough to attend classes, why are they going to spend their time at home doing it anyway? If the interest isn't there, it isn't there, and no DVD will overcome that.

What I meant by Krav Maga being overkill is that it is designed for combat. Now obviously it can be applied to self defense but that it was not designed for that. The odds of my girls being attacked by multiple assailants with knives and guns are negligable compared to a simple rape attempt by a single individual in a dark hallway.

No martial art was designed for self defence (as it exists in the modern Western world). None. But, for the record, "Captain Chris'" approach, at least with his rhetoric, makes Krav seem positively gentle....

The bottom line is that "enlist in a martial arts school" is just not useful advice at this time, as desirable as it might be to see them go. I'm unwilling to do nothing just because the older girls are unwilling to commit to a martial arts program.

Then the bottom line is that if they're not interested, they're not interested. "Enlist in a real school" is the only advice at any time for people looking to get anything out of martial training, but in this case, they aren't looking for that, you're looking for it for them. They don't want it, so honestly, you should respect that. Not to tell you how to look after your girls, but trying to push them into something they don't want to do, have little interest in, and have expressed as much to you just doesn't seem like a good plan. If you force them into it by pushing them, they'll reject it, and you'll get none of the results you want. Let them come to it in their own time, in their own way. Who knows? They might meet a guy at college who's into martial arts, and come to it that way, or there might be a club at college which they join because it's what they want.

In other words, it's their lives, not yours. Your interests don't really come into it. And even if they do, your plan simply won't work for a large number of reasons.

Suck it up Princess!

Ha, honestly mate, I've tried to think of a comeback to that, and I'm drawing a blank! Dammit. Nicely played.....

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I meant by Krav Maga being overkill is that it is designed for combat. Now obviously it can be applied to self defense but that it was not designed for that. The odds of my girls being attacked by multiple assailants with knives and guns are negligable compared to a simple rape attempt by a single individual in a dark hallway.

Im not going to spend too much time on this.
You can have trained for Years to defend against Knives and Guns, and someone will still be able to shoot or stab You. You are not a superhuman. Nor are they. Noone is.
Much in the same way, all the training in the world wont help if one is incapacitated from behind, and then raped. Because rape is not a gentle thing. It isnt going to be presented, and then executed. It will be sudden, and fast, because they either want to get their captive out of sight and do it quickly, or get them somewere more secure. Both paths require them to incapacitate their victim first, because even untrained females are inclined to try to resist. Doesnt mean its gonna work, especially when theyre automatically at a disadvantage. Which is all the more reason to teach them to be able to react in general, and respond. And that requires actual Training.

Ha, honestly mate, I've tried to think of a comeback to that, and I'm drawing a blank! Dammit. Nicely played.....

Make kissy noises at him?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I expected some of what I saw here but I wanted to wait for a more even handed response before jumping back in.

Just to add some more details, my youngest is a black belt (in a mixed tae kwon do program) so I well understand both what martial arts has to offer and the time and effort required to achieve those results. I'd love it if my older girls took the same interest. But they haven't.

Also, I've had a fair bit of training myself in unarmed and armed self defense. I've taught the older girls what I know and they took one course when they were smaller. So I do have some sense of what is essential self defense technique, what is sport and art, and what is character building. (And, no, that is not an insult to marital arts; I love that my youngest is getting all of these things and wish my older girls were.)

I also appreciate the vapid promises of DVDs and books. Though I could probably list of few books of value I've never tried self defense DVDs before.

The bottom line is that "enlist in a martial arts school" is just not useful advice at this time, as desirable as it might be to see them go. I'm unwilling to do nothing just because the older girls are unwilling to commit to a martial arts program.

As noted above, I did have them do this before but now that they are moving away it's not something I can offer. Many colleges offer such classes and I am pushing them to take those.

Well, like Chris said, it sounds like you're looking for someone to say to you, "Yes! DVD/books are possible to learn from!" Sorry, but you will not hear those words from my mouth. Sure, its possible to pick up a book, watch a dvd, and try to mimic what you see, but thats akin to me picking up a Spanish language book and think that I'm really going to be capable of really speaking, reading, writing...sorry, isn't going to happen.

As for Krav Maga....there are things that I'm sure are taught to military people vs regular civilians, however, I certainly would not dismiss the possibility of anyting happening. KM is a very practical art for the average person.

If they're unwilling to join a school, well, IMO, I think that forcing someone to do something they dont want, is counter productive as well. You say that you've taught them some things. I take it you're not content with what you've taught them?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you're talking about January Jones, not sure what you mean... but if you do, then, well, January Jones! Ah, lovely....

May, December, January...

Chris, you seem like a good man. I'm suprised you can't get more dates than that. :rofl:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unless you're talking about January Jones, not sure what you mean... but if you do, then, well, January Jones! Ah, lovely....
Yeah.
Mrs June July (January Jones Husband, for other readers) hasnt been letting Him out of the house recently, so She hasnt been able to get much done in this department.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, you're losing me here... January Jones has had a child, but there's no husband. You do know that a May/December romance is a real thing, and January Jones is a real person, yeah?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, you're losing me here... January Jones has had a child, but there's no husband. You do know that a May/December romance is a real thing, and January Jones is a real person, yeah?
Yes, but then I got a bit sidetracked trying to imply that I didnt. It sounded way better in My head.
My apologies :p

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Of course I know. That does not preclude making jokes at your expense. :D

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This guy?

http://russellstutely.com/

(Same overhyped promises as "Captain Chris" but I would trust your opinion.)
Yes, Russell's the guy. In my first post I did mention 'advertising hype'. I do have a lot of his material and what I have is very good. His early stuff was principally self defence and he has moved on from there to promote himself shamelessly, but hey, he is a business. However, his SD material is simple and likely to be effective under stress.

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-suWowz_h8

BAR is one we train but, even with head guards, I don't like hitting hard enough to knock people down. (For me there is too much evidence that repeated concussion can cause dementia.)

Check out the internet, particular YouTube, for his stuff. Don't try to learn the wrist locks like the one he shows in one of theses vids but take note of the strikes to the temple area and the leg sweeps. :asian:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions