Roundhouse Kick

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your preferred method of executing this kick? The instep, ball of the foot and the shin seem to be the 3 choices.

During sparring, I tend to go more with the instep, but when kicking a bag or if I was to throw this in RL, I'd lean more towards the shin. Nothing like a solid kick to the thigh with the shin to wear the person down. :)

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is your preferred method of executing this kick? The instep, ball of the foot and the shin seem to be the 3 choices.

During sparring, I tend to go more with the instep, but when kicking a bag or if I was to throw this in RL, I'd lean more towards the shin. Nothing like a solid kick to the thigh with the shin to wear the person down. :)

I prefer the shin for lower kicks, works well into the waist or the thigh, and the instep for higher kicks, though I also use it for kicking the calf sometimes. I do find that I have more accuracy with the instep.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on what I'm using it for. We don't use the shin in sparring, but in general I follow this rule: flat target, round tool; round target, flat tool. By this, I mean that I would use a round tool (ball of foot) for flat targets, like the torso, and a flat tool (instep, shin) for round targets, like temple and leg. Round and flat are relative, of course, but you get the idea.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shin, Instep hurts my foot way too much :)

Occasionally ball of the foot, but thats more of a angled front snap kick, and I rarely teach it.

MrE2Me2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To all,

I learned to kick with the instep and later, with the ball of the foot.
My shins have always been quite sensitive so I stay away from them as a weapon.
(I do condition them but I prefer not to kick with them.)

Learning to kick with the instep helped me develop distance, timing and proper leg form.
But one day I kicked into my sparring partner’s elbow and my foot ballooned out to twice its size.
It completely changed the way I executed my roundhouse kick in two man stuff.

Here is a vid of me kicking the heavy bag with a roundhouse kick.
While it is difficult to see clearly, I’m using the ball of the foot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPofalECfvg&feature=PlayList&p=93BA4EB07BDBA20E&index=14

I learned to kick with (and I prefer) the ball of the foot.
But it did take more time to develop this kick (ball of foot) too.
Also, I don’t wear sparring equipment on my feet (which inhibit my kicking with the ball of the foot).

Regards, MrE2Me2

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Instep for sparring, ball of foot and shin the rest of the time especially the lower kick with the shin.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on application. Ball of the foot for hard targets, top of the foot for soft targets, shin if you're in too close to strike with the foot. Top of the foot for point sparring.

10,000 Hit Combo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like instep and shin. I can't bend my toes back far enough to use the ball of the foot safely.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends for me. For sparring, I use the instep (sparring rules). For bag work or power kicks, I use the shin. For breaking, I use the ball of my foot.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use the shin right around the ankle. It does not mater if it is low or high, class, competition, or street. It makes my day a bunch better if I can end a fight quickly. In class it is just a matter of control and placement.

I don't use the roundhouse very much, I am more of a side kicker.

Rebiu

<B>Banned</B>
Reaction score
Shin with the knee traveling past and the lower leg whipping like this picture
roundkick.jpg

10,000 Hit Combo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ball of the foot I break my toes, instep I catch an elbow, shin, well... I only like to use a roundhouse against the legs. I'm more of a side kicker too. With steel toed boots, the roundhouse is my favorite.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm with Terry on this one!

I have a question for those of you who do a roundhouse with the instep. What type of lateral stress are you feeling in your knee? Just walking through it, it doesn't feel good.

Latest Discussions