Kicking with the toes

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the front kick is traveling forward, then I'd think it'd actually be more awkward to use the tips of the toes.

I generally try to dig it under the ribs. So it goes up more than anything.

It is an unconventional kick.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is much to do with the shoe you are wearing.

In martial arts and self defense training:
Front kick - The standard tennis shoe is a little more effective than a hardened bare foot using the ball or heel of the foot. A working boot/shoe is greatly more effective with the ball/toe, mildly more effective on the heel. A hard heeled shoe/boot is more effective with the ball/toe and greatly more effective with (obviously) the heel.
Roundhouse kick - Using the ball of the foot, tennis shoes offer a 'tearing' factor over a bare foot. Using the top of the foot, which we teach Only for sparring, a covered foot is going to hurt the kicker less and should be more effective considering the laces, eyes & hooks that many shoes have.

Side kicks were not mentioned in the OP but I think definitely fall under SA when wearing shoes and needing to kick. Extremely effective and practical kicks.

This seems like well versed material that is usually covered in most programs, especially those that use kicks as heavy offensive tools.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A forward traveling kick using the toe tip?

Upward I can see, but forward (front snap kick / push kick) then with shoes I'd be using the bottom of my foot, not the tip.

If you can kick with the ball of the foot, you can kick with the toe. It's actually easier than the ball of the foot.

It is much to do with the shoe you are wearing.

In martial arts and self defense training:
Front kick - The standard tennis shoe is a little more effective than a hardened bare foot using the ball or heel of the foot. A working boot/shoe is greatly more effective with the ball/toe, mildly more effective on the heel. A hard heeled shoe/boot is more effective with the ball/toe and greatly more effective with (obviously) the heel.
Roundhouse kick - Using the ball of the foot, tennis shoes offer a 'tearing' factor over a bare foot. Using the top of the foot, which we teach Only for sparring, a covered foot is going to hurt the kicker less and should be more effective considering the laces, eyes & hooks that many shoes have.

Side kicks were not mentioned in the OP but I think definitely fall under SA when wearing shoes and needing to kick. Extremely effective and practical kicks.

This seems like well versed material that is usually covered in most programs, especially those that use kicks as heavy offensive tools.

What does "SA" mean in this context?

No shoes on the mat, so the subject of shoes doesn't come up much.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you can kick with the ball of the foot, you can kick with the toe. It's actually easier than the ball of the foot.

What does "SA" mean in this context?

No shoes on the mat, so the subject of shoes doesn't come up much.
Put your tennis shoes on, go outside and kick a tree using just the tip toe as hard as you can. I think this will explain it.

SA is as much to do with awareness of what is 'on' you and it is what is around you.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Put your tennis shoes on, go outside and kick a tree using just the tip toe as hard as you can. I think this will explain it.

SA is as much to do with awareness of what is 'on' you and it is what is around you.

Oh, you mean Situational Awareness? You were using an acronym and I was trying to figure out what the acronym was.

I'll do that next time I'm near a tree. I'm in the suburbs right now.

Latest Discussions