TAR_007

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I don't know many martial artists, so that's why I'm reaching out to you guys on here. Anyways, I've been doing Wing Chun for the past 2 years and am doing an important psychology research project looking at the relationship between different types of martial arts and self-esteem. I need to get responses quickly so I would really appreciate it if you could do my questionnaire - it's just 10 questions and will only take 1-2 minutes max of your time!!

I've attached the link down below (for research purposes there are questions asking about your age, ethnicity, gender, what martial arts you train in & how long you have been training in it). Your responses will also be 100% confidential (that's why I'm not asking for your name).

IMPORTANT:
Please complete the questionnaire ONLY if you MEET the following criteria:

- You do not have any mental health condition/s (e.g. anxiety disorders, eating disorders, depression, substance abuse, ADHD, personality disorders, bipolar disorder etc. etc.).

- You are aged between 18-35 years old.

- You have been training in martial arts for at least 1 year or more.

NOTE - By filling in this questionnaire you consent to me using your responses to include in my study for scientific purposes.

Thank you so much & let me know if you have any questions!

LINK ----------> Relationship between self-esteem & martial arts

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I don't know many martial artists, so that's why I'm reaching out to you guys on here. Anyways, I've been doing Wing Chun for the past 2 years and am doing an important psychology research project looking at the relationship between different types of martial arts and self-esteem. I need to get responses quickly so I would really appreciate it if you could do my questionnaire - it's just 10 questions and will only take 1-2 minutes max of your time!!

I've attached the link down below (for research purposes there are questions asking about your age, ethnicity, gender, what martial arts you train in & how long you have been training in it). Your responses will also be 100% confidential (that's why I'm not asking for your name).

IMPORTANT:

- You do not have any mental health condition/s (e.g. anxiety disorders, eating disorders, depression, substance abuse, ADHD, personality disorders, bipolar disorder etc. etc.).

NOTE - By filling in this questionnaire you consent to me using your responses to include in my study for scientific purposes.

i was going to complete it, but thats me our on the personality defects

how many sane people are you hoping to find after a 12 month lock down ?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i was going to complete it, but thats me our on the personality defects

how many sane people are you hoping to find after a 12 month lock down ?
Aren't you too young for this the survey?

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The first three questions, always raises my Data mining flag..thank you but, no.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The first three questions, always raises my Data mining flag..thank you but, no.
I've had to look at the survey now to see what they are

I can see why they dont want the bi polar, they will just strongly agree with everything

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't understand the purpose of MA research. MA is for doing and not for talking. Whatever others may do (or may think) will have nothing to do with you. So why should you care about it?

A: Here is an interested read for MA.
B: I don't read. I train.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't understand the purpose of MA research. MA is for doing and not for talking. Whatever others may do (or may think) will have nothing to do with you. So why should you care about it?

A: Here is an interested read for MA.
B: I don't read. I train.
Based on this, "doing an important psychology research project looking at the relationship between different types of martial arts and self-esteem." the user seems to be drawing relationship between self-esteem and Martial arts.

My thought is that "self-esteem" can be thought through a variety of physical activities. The type of martial arts isn't going to play a role in it. Some MA schools will use self-esteem as a selling point where they mislead people into thinking that they are tougher than they really are and that a black belt means you can fight.. Other schools may have more ritual behaviors which make a person feel special and better than others who don't train.

Some school throw you into sparring to get hit and knowing that you can take some hard hits without "dying" is a big confidence and a self-esteem boost. Sometimes having sense of purpose creates good self-esteem. Or a sense of "self-value"

The self-esteem that people get from martial arts isn't a "Martial Arts thing"

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Based on this, "doing an important psychology research project looking at the relationship between different types of martial arts and self-esteem." the user seems to be drawing relationship between self-esteem and Martial arts.

My thought is that "self-esteem" can be thought through a variety of physical activities. The type of martial arts isn't going to play a role in it. Some MA schools will use self-esteem as a selling point where they mislead people into thinking that they are tougher than they really are and that a black belt means you can fight.. Other schools may have more ritual behaviors which make a person feel special and better than others who don't train.

Some school throw you into sparring to get hit and knowing that you can take some hard hits without "dying" is a big confidence and a self-esteem boost. Sometimes having sense of purpose creates good self-esteem. Or a sense of "self-value"

The self-esteem that people get from martial arts isn't a "Martial Arts thing"
WELL IT SORT OF IS,,,,, people pick there self a steam up from a verity of things, commonly they gravitate to things they have a natural ability at and give it undue importance, people at the chess club give undue importance to chess, people at the pool club think chess player are buffoons and that hand eye co ordination is king

BUT there is a definite part of the male phyci that responds to knowing that you can take care of yourself physically, which is fine as long as you don't base the whole of yourself worth on it, which does seem to be a problem with some folk

OP
T

TAR_007

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So the reason why only certain people can complete the questionnaire is because things like mental health conditions and age affect self-esteem so I want to control for those variables.
Also, I just updated the questionnaire to include more information at the beginning like confidentiality, consent etc. So if you do want to take part in the study, please click on this link: Self-esteem in martial artists

Thanks!!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I usually greet new people with "Welcome to Martial Talk. Hope you enjoy it."

I'll make an exception here.....You little, snot nosed, wet behind the ears agist, grow up and call back.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So the reason why only certain people can complete the questionnaire is because things like mental health conditions and age affect self-esteem so I want to control for those variables.
Also, I just updated the questionnaire to include more information at the beginning like confidentiality, consent etc. So if you do want to take part in the study, please click on this link: Self-esteem in martial artists

Thanks!!

If you are picking and choosing who can take your survey so that it is covering a small number of people it's hardly going to be of much use. It's like the television ads when they say things like 67% of 75 people loved our product.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
middle aged people have low self esteem,
The older you are, the more money that you have, the more self esteem you have.

The richest person in Texas.

rich-person.jpg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The older you are, the more money that you have, the more self esteem you have.

The richest person in Texas.

rich-person.jpg
unfortunately that not a guaranteed fact, there ate a remarkable number of older people in poverty, who clearly never got the being rich memo

nor is self esteem linked to wealth necessarily, in fact people with money keep buying things to try and increase their self esteem, as they keep doing it, one can only conclude it dorsnt work, at least not all the time

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

IMPORTANT:

What school are you affiliated with? Is the research approved?

OP
T

TAR_007

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm researching self-esteem in a particular age group so that's why there's an age limit...

Latest Discussions