Requirements For Having Names

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I worked at the nuke, I'd amuse myself during outages by having the contractor HP techs make various pages:

Ben Dover, Ben Dover, meet Phil McCrackin at the south loading well....

Aschio-Phil Aschio, please call Connie Lengus, she has your lunch.

:lfao:

OF course, when she caught on, she wouldn't do anymore of those pages-which was especially funny when she refused to page Harry Chestnuts.....

Harry was an I&C tech.....and a real nice guy, though his parents must have hated him, or something....:lfao:

That's funny. Just curious, did she ever page Mike Hunt?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you to everybody who took the time and interest to read this post. And, if you're going to call my post nutty or absurd go right on ahead. Speak your mind and don't sugar coat your feedback. Be honest about how you feel about this because Im being honest as to how I feel. I don't care of I embarrass myself with this post because its something I feel quite strongly about.

Anyway, I don't care about names such as Alan or Richard. As I said, it would be more accurate for me to be singular and say name rather than names because there is only one name I feel really strongly about. So, that being said, anybody and everybody with the first name Christopher should conduct themselves properly and should refrain from acting in any way that Christophers aren't supposed to act. Anybody with the name Christopher should live up to the standards that come with having the name. Now how aren't people with the name Christopher supposed to act? They aren't supposed to act in any way that I don't approve of and the standards that come with having the name are standards that are set by me. OK so I just spoke my mind and I don't care if I embarrass myself because this is how I feel and its better to be embarrassed than to keep stuff bottled up.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you to everybody who took the time and interest to read this post. And, if you're going to call my post nutty or absurd go right on ahead. Speak your mind and don't sugar coat your feedback. Be honest about how you feel about this because Im being honest as to how I feel. I don't care of I embarrass myself with this post because its something I feel quite strongly about.

Anyway, I don't care about names such as Alan or Richard. As I said, it would be more accurate for me to be singular and say name rather than names because there is only one name I feel really strongly about. So, that being said, anybody and everybody with the first name Christopher should conduct themselves properly and should refrain from acting in any way that Christophers aren't supposed to act. Anybody with the name Christopher should live up to the standards that come with having the name. Now how aren't people with the name Christopher supposed to act? They aren't supposed to act in any way that I don't approve of and the standards that come with having the name are standards that are set by me. OK so I just spoke my mind and I don't care if I embarrass myself because this is how I feel and its better to be embarrassed than to keep stuff bottled up.
In that case I am Sean, a gift from God that none of you deserve. ;)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Wow, so I thought a response by you would help clarify your issue, but now I am more confused. Is this a religious thing?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

I am just wondering how this sort of thing would be enforced.
If for example my name was Christopher , and I was found to be not quite living up to the standards set by the I.B.O.C ( International Board of Christophers).
Would the I.B.O.C then have me arrested and forced to stand trial for my name crimes against humanity at the Hague?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My mother wanted to call me Gordon originally, but religion was a mainstay of the old guard of my family, so I was named Timothy, but I am certainly no saint. Never really read the Bible other than what I had to as a kid, as such I have never met the requirement for my name. Did think about legally changing it by UK deed poll years ago. I realised though that for me personally I could be called anything, and have been, but I am still the same carbon based lifeform.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If for example my name was Christopher , and I was found to be not quite living up to the standards set by the I.B.O.C ( International Board of Christophers).
Would the I.B.O.C then have me arrested and forced to stand trial for my name crimes against humanity at the Hague?
They make you a Topher. :(

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He has a point.

I am not really a bear.

drop-bear-warning.jpg

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's funny. Just curious, did she ever page Mike Hunt?
\

Yep. Along with Dick Hertz and Jack Mehoff.....:lfao:

Funny thing is, the gal I'm thinking of (who was from Alabama, and just sharp enough to say "Oh mah Gawd!! in the middle of each of those pages! :lfao: )
was named "King Cummins."

"King," says I, "your parents must have wanted a boy."

"THat's right," she replies....

"Or, a puppy," I added......funny, she didn't talk to me much after that.......:lfao:

Seriously, though-I kind of touched on this eight years ago, here:

When my wife worked for the Forest Service, among the many people she met was a girl close to her age. Since girls who jumped out of helicopters to fight fires were something of a rarity, they got rather close. Mary is nice, friendly and somewhat large, in the manner of girls born and raised in Montana. My wife liked her, and was shocked one day when someone saw her talking to the girl and later said, “I see you’ve met Big Hole Mary.”

Now, Rita has always traveled in ready-to-go circles and has never been a stranger to shock humor or nicknames, but she was still taken aback. “I couldn’t understand why people would have such a mean, personal nickname for her, and I thought about talking to her and asking if she knew,” Rita recalled .

This came up because Big Hole Mary had gotten married. We missed the wedding, but after the ceremony she had apparently taken her newly betrothed around to meet the locals, or whatever locals were hanging out, so she had, in effect, taken her new husband to meet the guys who had given her the nickname “Big Hole Mary.”

“It was kind of weird," said a friend of ours who was there, “the guy didn’t look real thrilled about it, and all us dogs sniffed at him for a minute, and could tell he didn’t think much of her friends, so no one cut him any slack.”

We realized as we thought about it that most people, including very probably, the new husband, don’t know many people with nicknames. Binky and Bunny don’t count.

Nicknames, like tattoos, used to be mostly associated with bikers and felons. In the cultural anthropology of the genre, they have been used to distinguish, impugn or just confuse, and the great nicknames carry with them an element of dark, insider humor. Oddly, as we considered it, nearly everyone we know has a nickname, or several.

Sometimes, they’re obvious. Chicken Neck, for instance, or Dog man. Sometimes, to be truthful, they are more alias than nickname. On our friend Virgil’s birth certificate it says something else, but for business reasons years agi he wanted a moniker that sounded as hillbilly as possible. It was just happenstance that he is also a Virgo. A well known local artist who paints largely native American themes used “Charles bear” as his nom de plume……what a poser! I first met Charles in the company of a singer/musician named Norton Buffalo, and neither of them seemed to think their pairing was as humorous as I did.

In some dojo, particularly in the New York area, it’s the practice for some people to have rather ridiculous budo names stitched on their dogi, like “Rubberband man,” "Hammerfist," or …well, you get the idea….I once had such a nickname for my rather long legs, though I didn't have it embroidered on my gi.....

It’s also not uncommon for people to get nicknames from co-workers. I’ve found that cops usually call each other little-boy shortened versions of their names, “Bobby,” “Billy,” Eddie,” and “Robby” come to mind immediately. When I was working on …er…device disassembly, people called me “Fearless,” and “Ice,” because of my apparent cool..I quickly disabused them of that notion by commenting that “Fearless” was a lot more like “****less.” That name stuck, dammit.
mad.gif

That handle up there in the corner of this post is a longstanding joke. I participate in Native American ceremonies, and a gentleman who passed away just last year made the comment that I was some sort of “junior elder.” I replied that I had about 1,000 years to go before I was worthy of being called an elder, so I’ve got 999 (now, more like 990, now)to go…..

The best nicknames are the ones that cause you to stop and think for a while., The ones that require you to know someone well enough to fully get the joke. A guy named Ron, whom we all called Wahoo, moved to Alaska and returned married to a rather large Inuit woman who called him Blaze-O. “That’s my name up there,” he grinned. Why? we asked, wondering if they thought he was hot in bed, quick to anger or what. “Because when I got married my buddies didn’t think it was right that I was six inches shorter than my bride, so they had me stand on a case of firestarter called Blaze-O.”

Which brings us back to Big Hole Mary, who came to town and got married and all the guys said she looked good and seemed real happy. Then she and her husband moved back to the part of Montana where she was from. A few weeks after meeting her, my wife asked her where that was, and Mary said just outside of a town called Wisdom.

“Where’s that?” Rita had asked.

“Over in the Big Hole Valley.” came the reply.

What's your nickname, and how'd ya get it?

In this digital world, we get to choose our own names-in fact, it's a requirement for participation. Our other names may have baggage attached to them-I'm "Aaron Jeffrey Cuffee III," and let me tell you, that's an entire set of Samsonite you don't even want to get near. "Elder999," is a joke at my expense, for the most part.....I have other "nicknames," and I say "nicknames" because that's what they aren't-they are, in fact, names that were given to me by certain people and are used by those who know-if I share them here (el Oso de Dios) it's just because......I certainly don't have to act a certain way here because of them....

Short answer: nah. THere's a guy on this board who calls himself "Last Legionairre," and another who is just "Superman" Maybe there should be a rule that you can only use names that don't mean anything, but then, how would we remember who we are?

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score

My parents called me "Norman" at my birth. Norman means "man from the North" (from Normandy and their Viking heritage) and at the time of my birth, I was neither a man nor in the north (born in central Texas, maybe north by south Texas standards). By Roman Catholic convention, I was also given the middle name of Thomas, which means "twin", of which I have no corresponding twin. Both of these names, along with my nickname "Skip", are family names...and I haven't skipped on purpose since I was a child. My last name "Cooper" is the trade name for a barrel maker or carpenter. No one in my family has been a professional woodworker for as long as anyone can remember. A lot of military and police, some truck drivers, iron workers and merchant marines, but no hammer-slingers. To live up to my name, I guess I could skip to the North and pick up woodworking as a trade, but I'm positive that I can't do anything about not having a twin...maybe something in the cloning science can help with that one day.

"What's in a name?" Shakespeare, the original Will.I.Am, asked. Nothing by which we can control, usually. Though, some cultures change their names with religious practices or if they're hiding from drug cartels or the authorities.

Incidentally, there are more than a few Jews named Christopher. Go figure...

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My parents called me "Norman" at my birth. Norman means "man from the North" (from Normandy and their Viking heritage) and at the time of my birth, I was neither a man nor in the north (born in central Texas, maybe north by south Texas standards). By Roman Catholic convention, I was also given the middle name of Thomas, which means "twin", of which I have no corresponding twin. Both of these names, along with my nickname "Skip", are family names...and I haven't skipped on purpose since I was a child. My last name "Cooper" is the trade name for a barrel maker or carpenter. No one in my family has been a professional woodworker for as long as anyone can remember. A lot of military and police, some truck drivers, iron workers and merchant marines, but no hammer-slingers. To live up to my name, I guess I could skip to the North and pick up woodworking as a trade, but I'm positive that I can't do anything about not having a twin...maybe something in the cloning science can help with that one day.

"What's in a name?" Shakespeare, the original Will.I.Am, asked. Nothing by which we can control, usually. Though, some cultures change their names with religious practices or if they're hiding from drug cartels or the authorities.

Incidentally, there are more than a few Jews named Christopher. Go figure...

Christopher isn't a Xtian name its Greek, it means bearer of the anointed which of course Xtians have adopted to mean messiah. 'Messiahs' as such were ten a penny in Palestine, it doesn't mean what Xtians have taken it to mean either but such is the way of the world. to be 'anointed' means to be blessed which many are.
Names should be given to children with thought, not fancy.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Christopher isn't a Xtian name its Greek, it means bearer of the anointed which of course Xtians have adopted to mean messiah. 'Messiahs' as such were ten a penny in Palestine, it doesn't mean what Xtians have taken it to mean either but such is the way of the world. to be 'anointed' means to be blessed which many are.

Good info. Those dern pesky Christians...always adopting stuff. ;)

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Looks like I wasn't too far off with my Alan theory after all!

I think as well as their enforcement duties, prospective parents who want to name their son Christopher should also have to apply for a licence from the I.B.O.C. Hopefully by vetting the parents to make sure they're worthy of raising a Christopher to the correct standards then they wouldn't have to sit at the Hague too often.

Perhaps special schools also, where every teacher is a Christopher, so that Christopherness can be indoctrinated at every opportunity.

I'd also lobby for an annual awards ceremony (called the Christophers, naturally) with categories such as Christopher of the year, services to the advancement and promotion of Christopherhood, lifetime achievement etc

Maybe people who actually met the high standards of Christopherness but were unfortunate to be given a different name could be awarded honorary Christopherates by the I.B.O.C.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It all means the same thing. Messiah and anointed are the same idea but in different languages. A common mistake. :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
There should be certain requirements for having certain names, actually I should use singular form not plural form in this case, there is a certain name that if anybody has the name they should have to meet the requirements for having the name. If they don't meet the requirements, if they don't meet the standards for the name than they shouldn't have it. If they do have this specific name than they should be required to meet certain standards, they should be required to act in a certain way and to conduct themselves appropriately if they've got the name.

Let me get this straight: you're talking about actual names, that people are usually given by their parents when they're born??

"Ted" is the shortened form of "Theodore," which means "God's gift" (sorry, Sean! :lfao: ) So what does that say about Ted Bundy? :lfao:

I could go on in this vein for quite some time, but I'll spare us.

It's an interesting thought, though-that our names from birth should determine how we behave.....make a good sci-fi or fantasy story......

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It all means the same thing. Messiah and anointed are the same idea but in different languages. A common mistake. :)

No, it's not a 'common mistake'. A messiah is a king or leader who is usually anointed ie blessed, people used the word messiah to mean blessed, many people went around Palestine preaching various things, they were called messiahs ie blessed though whether by themselves lol or others is unknown. Anointing can be done by parents to children, teachers to pupils etc.
We've had several messiahs since but waiting for The Messiah is something else. The word messiah has come to mean something more than a leader who at his coronation/installation is anointed with oil as in fact our monarchs are, it's been invested with a different meaning.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There should be certain requirements for having certain names, actually I should use singular form not plural form in this case, there is a certain name that if anybody has the name they should have to meet the requirements for having the name. If they don't meet the requirements, if they don't meet the standards for the name than they shouldn't have it. If they do have this specific name than they should be required to meet certain standards, they should be required to act in a certain way and to conduct themselves appropriately if they've got the name.

I got on here within the first month and locked up arnisador. This is a broad term for anyone who practices arnis--like taking karateka or judoka or wrestler. I have for some while felt that I should have picked a modified version so it doesn't sound like I think I'm the arnisador!

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a nominee for the post of Life-President of the I.B.O.C.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got on here within the first month and locked up arnisador. This is a broad term for anyone who practices arnis--like taking karateka or judoka or wrestler. I have for some while felt that I should have picked a modified version so it doesn't sound like I think I'm the arnisador!

Well, we can change your name for you. We might even keep it PG. LOL! :D

Latest Discussions