Black Belt degree requirements

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
a friend of mine wanted me to ask this... he asked me, and I realized that I had absolutely no idea how to answer his question.

"I know there are very well defined requirements for colored belt rankings (acknowledging that these vary by school and lineage). However, did MR PARKER ever lay out specific requirements for black belt degree advancement? Are certain forms/techniques required? Is there a minimum time in rank requirement?"

I know that different schools do this different ways. Some schools have specific requirements, some go strictly by time in rank, some go by competition and contributions, and some are a combination thereof, and some seem to have no specific requirements whatsoever other than the desire of the teacher to promote the student...

These differences aside, did Mr. Parker ever leave behind any written requirements for black belt degree promotions?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
vol. #5 pages 70-87. In our class we have 150 tech. We start 2nd black as the old orange extensions and so on. In this curriculum we have new material up through 5th degree. I actually like this layout of the material as the kenpoist doesn't get bogged down with a tremendous amount of material. Just my opinion.
Respectfully,
Jason Farnsworth:D

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have the book. someone (don't remember who) borrowed it. I don't have time to go to Pasadena and get a new one. can someone summarize?

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Conatser has posted parts of the Black Belt Manual that Mr. Parker edited and shared with some individuals. It is about ... oh 85 pages long, I am kidding. It is a fairly large document, but maybe I am off on the number of pages depending on formatting and fonts. It has lots of information including required principles, concepts, and theories for Black, outlines for written thesis, Club Set #1, Black Belt Technique Extensions and Notes on Techniques, Contact Manipulations, Forms, Sets, etc, etc, etc.

So although I cannot give it to you, I can tell you that "yes there is very specific critera both in the 24 Technique or 16 Technique versions.

Yours in Kenpo,
-Michael
UKS-Texas