Orange Belt
Reaction score
What happen to Ben Chi (not sure of his name)? PM if you want

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
...You could have sent a Private Message. Or a Visitor Message :)
Or, of course, by posting it openly, he might have gotten an answer from someone else who knew him... or maybe even Ben himself. It's far from beyond the realm of possibility that they guy is a member here...

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or, of course, by posting it openly, he might have gotten an answer from someone else who knew him... or maybe even Ben himself. It's far from beyond the realm of possibility that they guy is a member here...

Perhaps a better title for this thread could have been "Ben Chi", instead of a question directed at me. I don't know if it is possible to rename the thread.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's certainly possible; is that the correct spelling of his name?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's certainly possible; is that the correct spelling of his name?

Yes it is. Full english name is Benjamin Chi, but most called him Ben Chi. I used to know his korean name as well, I believe there is a Chul in it (Iron), but can't remember at this point. We went to the same high school, he is two years my senior.

OP
A

armortkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Glenn. I've been so busy lately that I'd only have time to skim MartialTalk. That's why I posted it as a thread. But also because I wasn't sure about Ben's name and the fact of the trouble he got into in Hawaii with the incident with the local teenager.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ben Chi was the assistant instructor in Hawaii who side kicked a teenager and stopped his heart correct?

If I remember right he was notorious for training gangsters and tough guys. Could be wrong though.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ben Chi was the assistant instructor in Hawaii who side kicked a teenager and stopped his heart correct?

It was a front kick. What happened was it was 2am on a weekday morning, and he and his korean friend were going to eat at a local place. They were fooling around in line, so the girlfriend of some kid started making racist rude comments and continued to make those comments after everyone sat down to eat. Finally a challenge was made, both groups went outside into the parking lot, the kid (who was taller and heavier than Ben, a football player) came towards Ben to strike him, ben responded with a front kick in the chest, the guy went down, guy had a irregular heart beat from birth, ended up dying.

If I remember right he was notorious for training gangsters and tough guys.

I don't know about that.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was a front kick. What happened was it was 2am on a weekday morning, and he and his korean friend were going to eat at a local place. They were fooling around in line, so the girlfriend of some kid started making racist rude comments and continued to make those comments after everyone sat down to eat. Finally a challenge was made, both groups went outside into the parking lot, the kid (who was taller and heavier than Ben, a football player) came towards Ben to strike him, ben responded with a front kick in the chest, the guy went down, guy had a irregular heart beat from birth, ended up dying.

Yeah that's about what I thought.

I don't know about that.

I probably either inadvertently came up with that myself or read it somewhere. As always no disrespect or anything intended.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
you read it on bullshido, from a student of one of my students. :)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It was Bullshido now that I think about it. These stories get so changed around sometimes especially with taekwondo people.

KUHIOPARK

White Belt
Reaction score
It was Bullshido now that I think about it. These stories get so changed around sometimes especially with taekwondo people.
Ben Chi was an assistant of Mr Park, there was a third teacher Jay. I was in that class in KUHIO PARK Terrace. From what remember from the news was that this was at Zippys in Waimalu if I remember right. The kid was a stand out qtr back from Aiea high school. Bens kicks were deadly as a student of his I should know. It was a frontal kick to the chest that was struck at a perfect timing during the heart beat causing his heart to stop. Ben was not an instigator.He
was. great instructor. I moved away from Hawaii so I don't know what he got for this.I feel bad for his mom because she yet lost another son due to an accident. There's nothing bullshido about this incident.

KUHIOPARK

White Belt
Reaction score

I don't know about that.
This was at Zippys.

KUHIOPARK

White Belt
Reaction score
This was at Zippys.
And around those times Koreans were targets. And it's sad . That kid was a good qtr back. His mom then lost another son due to an accident I believe.foes anybody know what was his sentence Moved away.

KUHIOPARK

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Glenn. I've been so busy lately that I'd only have time to skim MartialTalk. That's why I posted it as a thread. But also because I wasn't sure about Ben's name and the fact of the trouble he got into in Hawaii with the incident with the local teenager.
We called him Ben ,i was a student of his in the mid 70s in KPT.

KUHIOPARK

White Belt
Reaction score
you read it on bullshido, from a student of one of my students. :)
It was real . He was a good instructor as I was one of his students in KPT in the mid 70s under Mr Park.I was 14.
Justin Kekahuna was the boys name. Ben was convicted of Manslaughter received the max 10 years. Him and his friend were being bullied. For being Korean.Koreans we're picked on a lot.

Latest Discussions