Push Hands Fail

In this sense TJQ is beyond combat and struggle, to the point one could consider dropping the “quan” from the “Taiji”, maybe that would prove to be a booster since the “quan” seems to be more of a barrier, a hindrance, a struggle
My theory is that human behavior doesn't change much. If they enjoyed combat and physically fighting then they would still seek learning more about it. To learn more about the fighting and more about the combat. Their thirst wouldn't dry up just because they already know how to fight. There are a lot of old heads that still enjoy sparring. Many of which do so against students who are much younger.

I think fighting is like any other interest and passion. You want to do more of it not less of it. When you get to a point where you can't do more or any then it's like you lose a part of who you are. For me I begin to miss the durability that I once had. I don't think I'm the only one who experiences this. When you are no longer able to do what you love is when it becomes a struggle. Everything before that was enjoyment.
 
I think fighting is like any other interest and passion. You want to do more of it not less of it. When you get to a point where you can't do more or any then it's like you lose a part of who you are.
Agree with you 100% there. When I was 69, one day I saw 2 young wrestlers wrestled on the grass. I challenged both of them. that was my last challenge against stranger in my life. Almost 10 years has passed, there was not a single day that I didn't miss my good old days.

There are 12 the happiest moment in my life. 3 years national Chinese wrestling champion (1981, 1982, and 1983) is one of those (IBM master inventor is another one). Every time I think about it, I can smile in my dream big time.
 
since the “quan” seems to be more of a barrier, a hindrance, a struggle
One day when you can block 20 of your opponent's punches, none of those punches can land on you, you will smile in your dream for many nights. Even money cannot buy that kind of happiness.
 
My theory is that human behavior doesn't change much. If they enjoyed combat and physically fighting then they would still seek learning more about it. To learn more about the fighting and more about the combat. Their thirst wouldn't dry up just because they already know how to fight. There are a lot of old heads that still enjoy sparring. Many of which do so against students who are much younger.

I think fighting is like any other interest and passion. You want to do more of it not less of it. When you get to a point where you can't do more or any then it's like you lose a part of who you are. For me I begin to miss the durability that I once had. I don't think I'm the only one who experiences this. When you are no longer able to do what you love is when it becomes a struggle. Everything before that was enjoyment.
My comment was about the Taiji level is not about practicing such as - this technique defend against such and such attacks. That the “Taiji level” is not really about techniques but the senses. Your comment about wanting to spar is more inline with the taiji level of practice.
 
At this juncture


Sorry, just had to do it to lighten things up.. at least for me before I say something that will get me in trouble
 
All Chinese martial arts are all exactly the same. But instead of learning them, people just go and do whatever they want to do.
 
All Chinese martial arts are all exactly the same. But instead of learning them, people just go and do whatever they want to do.
1775496433595.gif
 
All Chinese martial arts are all exactly the same. But instead of learning them, people just go and do whatever they want to do.
I have the following question for a long time.

I can only find "right jab, left cross, right hook, left hook" combo in the praying mantis system (a 2 men form called 扑按ćŻč打 Pu An Dui Da) that I have learned in college. I don't see this combo exist in long fist, Baji, Zimen, WC, Taiji, Xingyi, Bagua, ... Why?

If we apply logic, sometime the reality just doesn't apply the logic.
 
I have the following question for a long time.

I can only find "right jab, left cross, right hook, left hook" combo in the praying mantis system (a 2 men form called 扑按ćŻč打 Pu An Dui Da) that I have learned in college. I don't see this combo exist in long fist, Baji, Zimen, WC, Taiji, Xingyi, Bagua, ... Why?

If we apply logic, sometime the reality just doesn't apply the logic.

Not all systems organize their training the same way


— Summarized from the writings of Mike Staples (Tibetan White Crane),

2116d-ef66c-51ymaudvzil-_sx330_bo1204203200_.jpg


Some are narrow systems — they build a large number of specific techniques tied to specific attacks.
Others are wide systems — they use fewer core methods, but focus on how those can change and adapt across different situations.

That difference shows up in how things are expressed.



In a narrow system, you’re more likely to see defined combinations and set responses.

In a wide system, the emphasis isn’t on fixed sequences — it’s on how the method generates what’s needed in the moment.
So if you’re looking for a specific combo and don’t see it, it may not be missing
 it may just not fit how that system organizes
or expresses its method.
 
Last edited:
All Chinese martial arts are all exactly the same. But instead of learning them, people just go and do whatever they want to do.
You practiced them all ? I only learned in the ”internal” MA’s they’re very much sameish in practice focus
 
Back
Top