question for anyone that goes to lots of Tournaments

setboy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't do many Tournaments. When I do go more almost everyone at the Tournament breaths out on every move of the kata. this is the only video i could find of some one doing it.

why do you do it? why breath out like that?

Raphael

Last edited by a moderator:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't do many Tournaments. When I do go more almost everyone at the Tournament breaths out on every move of the kata. this is the only video i could find of some one doing it.

Raphael

Some feels it gives them that extra the referee's are looking for. Me myself and my students do not do this we tend to use power instead of tricks for the same result.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Personally....you should do your Kata the way you were train. Tournaments? It's main purpose is to raise money for the club that is running it.

Win or lose because of the breathing effects? ...is all about "show"

The "Judges" who understands how a Kata should be? ...will know the difference.

One should not change just to win a contest! It is about you and the way you train. BE YOURSELF!

Don't forget to breath! Lots of people hold their breaths on most of the moves. Ki when suppose too!

Aloha (from one who has two many breaths) / full of air!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Raphael

When I first started TKD, we didn't do that either. Then it was pointed out in ITF TKD by Gen. Choi at an Instructor's Seminar that many students were not breathing properly, or were holding their breath - both of which affected the amount of power that could be generated, and/or the amount of time the student could continue to perform. In an attempt to fix this problem, breathing became audible, in an attempt to prove that people were, actually, breathing. As with many things, this was taken too far, and became solidified as a common practice. Over the years, my instructor has reduced the noise factor, while still teaching the correct breathing - which was the original intent. We breathe out at the end of a technique, and many juniors will breathe loudly as they learn the control their breathing, but by the black belt level, breathing is once again silent.

Hello, Personally....you should do your Kata the way you were train. Tournaments? It's main purpose is to raise money for the club that is running it.

Might be that way where you are. We hold tournaments so that students have the chance to meet other martial artists, to improve their skills by competing against people they don't usually face, and to learn things that may not come up in class. We don't usually make money on our tournaments; we're pretty happy if we break even.

Win or lose because of the breathing effects? ...is all about "show"

Tournament competition - sparring, patterns, breaking, whatever events are being held - is a game. To be good at the game, you need to be able to adapt to the rules, even if they change from what you're used to. Being able to change your habits is the sign of someone who is truly in control of their body. If the judges are scoring high for breathing loudly, your choices are to either breathe loudly, or to do the pattern so well that your quiet breathing does not count against you - but really, if they're looking for audible breathing, you're going to have to breathe audibly if you want to win.

The question is... do you want to win badly enough to change how you perform? Some people do, some people don't. The primary purpose of competition is to learn something you can use to improve yourself - if you happen to win along the way, so much the better, but I don't really care if my students get medals or trophies - but they do have to come back from tournaments and tell me what they learned.

The "Judges" who understands how a Kata should be? ...will know the difference.

If the judges are trained in a style/organization that values audible breathing, then they will be looking for that - along with stances, power, technical proficiency and correctness, timing, and so on. "How a kata should be" is as much a subjective statement as judging ice skating or gymnastics - yes, there is an objective standard, but there is also a subjective piece that is going to vary based on the differences in technical details between organizations, the emphasis placed on various technical details, the rank and relative experiences of the judges, and the indefinable quality that makes a pattern "flow" in a unified whole - that latter is extremely subjective, and is why patterns are judged by an odd-numbered panel rather than a single individual.

One should not change just to win a contest! It is about you and the way you train. BE YOURSELF!

See above. Whether or not you change how you perform at tournaments will depend entirely on your own desires and skills. If you choose to change for the tournament, you will become a more flexible practitioner - but it will be difficult in the beginning. The best way to learn this type of flexibility is to visit other instructors' classes in your own style, and find out what some of the differences are - and then differentiate between them, so that you can perform whichever way you want whenever you want to do so.

Don't forget to breath! Lots of people hold their breaths on most of the moves. Ki when suppose too!

As I said before, the audible breathing seen in ITF TKD came from a overreaction to the statement by the original creator of that kwan that people were not breathing. Over time, as people began to understand more what proper breathing is and is not, audibility has been replaced by better breathing practices. This may or may not be the case in your style - but it may help give you a perspective on what you are seeing.

Latest Discussions