Tournaments

E

Elfan

I know a lot of people go to differnt martial art tournaments and I was wondering how you find out about them? I'd like to start going to some tournaments but I don't know how to find out when or where they are happening

Thanks.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lol...

go to one. there's usually a table full of handouts for others. or ask your teacher.

I'd suggest going to Trejo's tournament in Long Beach, or the internationals in Boston. Both really big tournaments.

or just click here.

http://www.maslinc.com/circuits.cfm

it lists most of the circuits, so you can find stuff near you.

OP
B

Blackdragon

I'd say probably some of the best ways to find out about tournaments is either 1) ask your instructor or 2) out of any martial arts magazines. If you have any friends that are also taking martial arts ask them or their instructor. Once I've seen an advertisement for one at a bookstore, although only that one time.
I know how you feel, it's hard for me to find out about tournaments as well. I recently went to a Tae Kwon Do tournament and I found out about that from a friend's friend at school.
Anyway, hopefully I gave you at least one good suggestion. If not-sorry >.<

p.s- even websites can help you out for listings in your area.

:asian: Your bother in training.

OP
E

Elfan

I've heard about the Boston internationals and thought that would be great to attend, however, it probably would be a bad idea for a first tournament, thus my interest in going to others first.

I've never been to a karate tournament (well one when I was a little kid) and thus its "getting into it" thats the problem. I'm sure if I was at one and could pick up some flyers then I could get going.

Asking my instructor won't work to well as I don't have one.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
NASKA

Go there and see if any tournaments are in your neck of the woods.

Also, try and check out some schools in your area as they usually have flyers posted on upcoming tournaments.

:asian:

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Damian Mavis

Karate Tournaments only?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

No I was just using "karate" as a generic term, something I tend to do as if I say "karate" to a lay person they know what I am talking about. Probably a very confusing habbit here though. ;)

Thanks for the other responces. :-D

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TKD has tons of tournaments going on all the time if you take into consideration ITF AND WTF tournaments. You would need a contact in those federations though unless they are open tournaments. If you knew someone in those fedrations you could buy a uniform and go to tons of tournaments any time you like. Each federation has different rules for competing though.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
B

Blackdragon

Originally posted by nightingale8472

please tell me that didn't come out right. LOL.

Sorry about that. You see, in my wing chun class, we refer to each other as brothers or sisters(i.e. brother Stevens, brother Malakai, sister Jessica,etc.) as a form of respect. I guess I got carried away with it.

:asian: your brother in training.

Latest Discussions