OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I totally agree that spectator cost have gotten out of hand. Heck I travel (usually) 2 to 40 hours to get to a tournament which I do't mind because I'm going to see friends and help out but for the parents of my students to pay for gas, travel time ( a day they get nothing else to do), pay for little Jonny to compete in at least one even then have to pay for all members of the family to watch is ridiculous. Some of my students have 3-4-5 brothers and sistes that are young enough that they would need to go with the parents to the event. That's a hell of a lot of money to shell out.

Music in forms NOPE only if it is a specialized music/creative compitition

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have conducted an annual inner-school tournament for about 20 years now. The main intent is for the kids to be introduced to the sport aspect of karate and to have fun. A few have gone on to larger competitions and some have done very well at it. I have competed in both light touch and full contact. It was a good experience but competing was never a big focus of mine. I won my last competition with my head intact and that was a good time to retire. :) We just held our annual tournament and it's very rewarding to see the kids set and achieve goals and to learn about competition. I still have my first trophy that i won in martial arts circa 25+ years ago. It's the smallest trophy I have, but it's one of my favorites. It's not about the trophy but about the experience and the memories I still have from that day. That's something no one can take from you. ;)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd rather not have a spectator fee. Both to avoid the "nickle and dime" feeling, and because I want to try to get people from the community to come watch the tournament and use it as an opportunity to advertise our school. I am a little concerned about having too many people come and gawk, though, since while we have a good sized waiting/entry area, there's still limited space!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We charged a small spectator fee for a few years and it was greeted with mixed results. We did away with it.

Latest Discussions