Price

S

SammyB57

What is a reasonable price for TKD training? I only want to train once per week. The place I am considering charges $50 a month to train once a month. There are also belt fees.... are all the belt fees in the WTF the same worldwide?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
SammyB57 said:
What is a reasonable price for TKD training? I only want to train once per week. The place I am considering charges $50 a month to train once a month. There are also belt fees.... are all the belt fees in the WTF the same worldwide?

Did you type that right--$50. for ONCE a month? 1 or 2 hours??? I pay $49./mo for training unlimited-eight possible times/wk. although I can't really take all of them since some are for lower rank and I teach one of them. But that is the 12 month rate. We are the lower end of the scale. I know alot of schools go upward of $100. a month.

In our school, it is $30. for one time a week/12 mo. min. or $45/3 mo.min. It is cheaper to commit to training for a year. In TKD there is no try, just do. TW

OP
M

MikeMartial

SammyB57 said:
I'd also assume that's a typo.

Our school charges about $60 a month, unlimited, with a very flexible schedule and multiple classes per day. Most people schoot for 3-4 classes a week.

OP
S

SammyB57

I meant once a week for a whole month, silly me!

OP
I

Indomitable Spirit

i personally think that is quite expensive. i train 3 times a week (2 hours monday, 3 hours thursday, and 2 hours sunday) but i pay 3.50 pounds for each lesson. it is meant to be 3.50 pounds for each hour but my instructors let us train extra hours for free.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
The price you pay is largely governed by the market, but I think $50/mo for 1 session is excessive, unless you are doing private lessons.

Miles

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to agree. Instructors near me charge up to $100/month because they can. I personally think this is excessive. I can't charge that much because the economy in my area couldn't support that. Even taking into account equipment and rent, $100/month is a bit much. I would say $50-60/month would be the maximum. Now, $100 for a seminar is different, because you have special guests to fly in, rent, and other overhead. But that is a special event.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I pay 1 credit through my university for unlimited training both at the university and the school we are affiliated with. That's about $140 bucks for around 4 months. About 40 bucks a month. During the summer the school charges us poor college students $150 to train from the time school gets out to it gets back in...about the middle of May to the end of August, about 3 and a half months. Comes to about $42 a month. I know that this is discounted for the college students, I think the regular price is somewhere around $60-$70 for unlimited training, but I'm not really sure.

OP
S

SammyB57

What are belt fees usually? Does the WTF have a standard?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belt fees are the same as testing fees. The master/grandmaster that does the testing has it as part of his income which runs the school. The fees are lower in the low belts usually and then progressively get higher. I think the first three belt levels are $37 in my school now. $150. for recommended black belt. The masters here would have better input but this is my experience. TW

OP
R

rainbows

I'm part of a freakishly cheap college club...15 euro a year for 5 classes a week.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think our class runs $60 a month for two classes a week, although our school is small enough that we can go as often as we want (I go five or six times a week). Also, subsequent family members are only $45.

Belt tests start at $20 and go up from there.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
My class is also taught through a college. It was $40/month when I was a student. Now it's $45. Classes are twice a week, but our instrucor often holds extra unofficial classes. For the community it's in, that's dirt cheap. Commercial martial art schools in the same area charge $60-80/month.

For our organization, you pay $50 at each colored belt rank. My black belt test cost $270, but that may have gone up since then.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
SammyB57 said:
What are belt fees usually? Does the WTF have a standard?
The costs for rank tests are determined by the instructor. For example, I don't money teaching TKD, so I charge $10 for tests up to black belt.

The WTF is a sports federation. It does not have anything to do with belt rank other than it requires, for international games, that players have a black belt certified through Kukkiwon-World Taekwondo Headquarters. The Kukkiwon and the WTF are separate entities housed in separate buildings, run by separate individuals.

The Kukkiwon has set costs for certifying ranks. Off the top of my head, it is $70 for 1st dan, $90 for 2nd, $120 for 3rd, $150 for 4th. The instructor giving the examination and sending the paperwork to Korea (or, if you are a USTU member and the school is chartered through USTU, it can be sent to Colorado Springs, CO) often charges fees to cover costs (boards, guests, etc (heck, it costs $10 to send an envelope with a Kukkiwon application certified to Korea.)

Miles

Latest Discussions