new kid - any advise?

I

Indomitable Spirit

:) :asian: hi guys! well i'm new here but i have been looking at a lot of the past threads in this board and i have to say that the people on here have given some of the best advise i have ever had about many things. so becasue of this i decided to join since you guys are pretty decent people.
well to introduce myself i am 5th kup and i am a member of the TAGB (BTW i personally think there should just be one whole organisation) and i am 19 years old.
ok now i'll get to the point. i was wondering if anyone could give me any advise on preparing for a kinda smallish regional tournament that i have around some time in february. i will be entering sparring and patterns.

thanks
(sorry should have posted this in the new people section)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No problem. Welcome aboard. Happy posting and this is a good place to be to gain insight from.
As far as getting ready for a tournament nothing can take the place of practice. Get in the studio and train. Train with the upper ranks to help give you pointers. Practice forms at home. Practice, practice, and practice.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's all good, Spirit. Welcome to the KMA section of MT!

Go ahead and post a hello thread to introduce yourself to the rest of the board in the New Member Section as well - lots of folks will greet you.

If you haven't done so already, it might be a good idea to read the rules and regs of posting here before you get too deep and find yourself in a squabble.

Look around a little while to see if other things you're interested in discussing have already been started as a thread before, and feel free to resurrect an older thread - no problem.

There's a support forum for newbies if you just can't find what you're looking for or are having trouble - feel free to post a question there as well.

There are a couple of threads already of tourneys - I encourage you to read them as well and I hope you get some helpful responses to your questions.

This is an informative (and fun) place to hang.

Enjoy your stay and happy posting!

OP
I

Indomitable Spirit

thanks guys! but just one more thing...i was wondering whether it is too late for me to do anything seriously good at the tournament becasue i am 19 and only 5thkup whereas the really good fighters i see are always young for their grade like 17 year old black belts. i only have about 6 months sparring experience and i aint that good. i know i am still young (19 lol) but in taekwon do i reckon i'm a little too late for the gold medals.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome Spirit!

Suggest you spend as much time sparring as possible in your classes and outside of your classes work on whatever form you'll be competing with-Yul Gok?

Don't pscyhe yourself out about the competition-the only one you can control is you. But remember, you will be competing against others the same rank, weight, and age.

Good Luck!

Miles

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Spirit! Have fun posting, there is lots of really good information here. Good luck!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Willkommen,
Advice is only as good as the person listening to it. Advice is free. Advice is good or bad depending upon who's giving it. Advice is only as good as the experience behind it.

All said, we can give you the benefit of our experiences. Take it or leave it.

Oh yeah don't feel bad if you think this is happening... 99.999% of the time it's not... (except when I put MY foot in MY mouth).

Attachments

• $NEWBIE.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 150

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Quick Sparring check:
Run 1 mile continuously, 5 minutes of jumping rope without quitting, 50 Push ups. Physically OK

Spar in class

Practice the form you will last test on.

Leave it on the mat.

Have fun, Good luck

OP
I

Indomitable Spirit

thanks! started training today, hopefully i'll be ready in feb.

Latest Discussions