7 kup green tag
6 kup green
5 kup blue tag
4 kup blue
3 kup red tag
2 kup red
1 kup black tag
1 dan black

the times between grades increases as you go up through the belts up to 6 months (if ready)
£20 pounds ish for insurance when starting
£3.50 per lesson 1 hour sometimes they run over which is good.
£18 per grading
No contract

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think there are sime extra belts in there. My friend runs a TKD club and we do TSD where I believe the grading system is the same? these are the ones we and my friend use.

white
white yellow tag
yellow
yellow orange tag
orange
orange green tag
green
green blue tag
blue
blue red tag
red
black with time having to be spent at red before black.

I believe most go through from 10th kup/kyu to 1st kup/kyu

That's what we do; our "stripe" is the same as your "tag":

10th gup white
9th gup high white (white with a yellow stripe)
8th gup yellow
7th gup high yellow (yellow with a green stripe)
6th gup green
5th gup high green (green with a blue stripe)
4th gup blue
3rd gup high blue (blue with a red stripe)
2nd gup red
1st gup high red (red with a black stripe)

then at least 6 months active training before I Dan.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think people have started using the stripes Kacey as it's tidier than having a dirty bit of electrical tape hanging off the end of your belt! Never hurt me mind you! :mst:

Has all of this been of any help to you Bobby?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think people have started using the stripes Kacey as it's tidier than having a dirty bit of electrical tape hanging off the end of your belt! Never hurt me mind you! :mst:

Has all of this been of any help to you Bobby?

Our "stripes" are electrical tape; why pay for a new belt when the money can be better spent on training supplies? That's where testing fees in my school go - the class that generated them, to buy supplies, pay for events, and so on.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our "stripes" are electrical tape; why pay for a new belt when the money can be better spent on training supplies? That's where testing fees in my school go - the class that generated them, to buy supplies, pay for events, and so on.

Thats what I mean by tags! Small world eh?

Some schools are using belts that have got a stripe of the 'tag' colour running through them. If that makes sense?! Like this http://store.bestbuy mas.com/pitrdebeblor.html but with blue belt, red stripe for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrismay101

Green Belt
Reaction score
When we pass a tag grading our school gives out the certificate and to bits of what I would describe as ribbon which we stich on to the belts.

I quite like this as it gives them something to hand out as a reward and at a guess they would be better then tape!

im not so keen on the belts with the stripe through the middle. I have no reason just my personal taste!

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When we pass a tag grading our school gives out the certificate and to bits of what I would describe as ribbon which we stich on to the belts.

I quite like this as it gives them something to hand out as a reward and at a guess they would be better then tape!

im not so keen on the belts with the stripe through the middle. I have no reason just my personal taste!

I like that idea. WIll make use of that, thank you!

I dont like those belts either. I think thats more to do with what I was taught to use initially.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In the south I've herd them called "tips"
yellow tip
green tip

I have always found it cool that white belts can detect $H*t better than higher ranks.

Go with your gut instinct and start looking around. You may be better off in another style as Integrity is the most important issue you will ever have to deal with.

As you know

If it has four legs like a horse
Has a tail like a horse
Has hair like a horse.
Then...

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
We pay a $40 yearly insurance fee, $50 a month for twice weekly one hour sessions and one every three months we pay $40 to grade. My school does include tag ranks for that also, which I think is fair because you do learn new things each rank; the belt is just a rag after all.

I don't really know if what I pay is fair, *shrugs*.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are sixteen grades here before 1 Dan. That is an awful lot.

My school has the following belts...
  • White
  • White/Yellow
  • Yellow
  • Yellow/Green
  • Green
  • Green + Tag
  • Green/Blue
  • Green/Blue + Tag
  • Blue
  • Blue + Tag
  • Blue/Red
  • Blue/Red + Tag
  • Red
  • Red + Tag
  • Red/Black
  • Red/Black + Tag
  • Black
I had always thought that the system, as originally envisaged by whomever (I'll not open that little bag), was of ten kyu and ten dan for a nice symetry as in this example.

This is the ITF/UKTA grades

10 kup white
9 kup yellow tag
8 kup yellow
7 kup green tag
6 kup green
5 kup blue tag
4 kup blue
3 kup red tag
2 kup red
1 kup black tag
1 dan black

It just seems like a deceptive way to wring an extra ₤150, especially when you are contracted for a year.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are sixteen grades here before 1 Dan. That is an awful lot.

I had always thought that the system, as originally envisaged by whomever (I'll not open that little bag), was of ten kyu and ten dan for a nice symetry as in this example.

It just seems like a deceptive way to wring an extra ₤150, especially when you are contracted for a year.

I agree. It was originally 9 and 9 actually, if you dont count white belt.

Wade, I dont understand, can you elaborate on your objection? I thought it was his name.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hiya Guys,

I've been doing TKD for a few months now and I'm really enjoying it. The reason I've begun to question all this is that I don't feel challanged at the end of a session. I'm hungry for more and looking forward to learning it!

Thanks for your input!

--Bobby

I think everyone has made some great points here about cost, number of belts, etc. But I think the most important aspect is this (above). For me really, it doesn't matter how much money a school charges as long as you think the training is worth it. But it seems like Bobby isn't really getting what he feels is his money's worth and that would be my concern. You need to find a school where you feel you are learning, being challanged but not overwhelmed, and feel a sense of trust and "team" with the instructor and other students. If you don't have this, it may be time to start looking at other dojangs.