Points to ponder

Originally posted by Zhao Dai Wei
Already have.

You haven't.

So what is your answer?

I just gave you answer.

That’s a hypothetical question with only one way to know the answer.

You haven't.

Yes I have.

I just gave you answer.
That’s a hypothetical question with only one way to know the answer.

I would suggest that this is the wrong answer. It does not embrase the winning mind set. I don't say this to embarrass you but to perhaps give you something to think about.

Let me demonstrate. Had you asked me the same question I would have immediately said, without any hesitation, that there is NO WAY on this planet you would defeat me in a real life/death confrontation. I can imagine your blood start to boil at that comment...good! It will hopefully help you to understand why I said it. You CANNOT beat me! It is NOT because I'm rambo, it is NOT because I'm arrogant. It is NOT because I'm cocky. It is NOT because I have a big, red 'S' tattooed on my chest. It is because I have a disabled spouse and a young son at home that need me. It is becuase of my fervent desire to go home to them at the end of my shift. For me they take the priority therefore I cannot allow even the possiblity to exist in my mind of failure. Defeat is not an option. It is not permissible. It is the mind set that I will prevail even if I'm hurt, stabbed, shot, stomped etc al.

I would suggest that winning mind set to everyone here with what is personal to them. I'm not talking arrogance here, I'm talking about not allowing defeat in one's mind because that leads to defeat on the battleground. It leads to hesitation, fear, confusion and doubt. You don't have time for that when it hits the fan. When your jumped in the parking lot, when you awake to see someone enter your bedroom with a crowbar you need the mind set that this is about to be the worst mistake your assailant has made today.

The mission is to win, not survive, WIN! The method is whatever it takes. Call it Warrior's spirit or winning mind set. I hope you understand this my friend...and never actually ever need it.

Same for everyone here. Watch your six and stay safe.

Yes I have.

You mean this? All I see is a diatribe and a non-answer.

Yes you do have questionable lineage, somewhere up the line there is going to be skeletons. It's admirable of you not to think so, but not very realistic. I have been 'checked out' by people such as GM Jack 'Pappasan' Stern, GM Yuri Kostrov, Dr. Mihal Pupsh and others. The KYHA has ties to not only Korea [Dong Koo Yudo Kwan] but to Japan [Kobe], Saudi and quite a few other countries. My Sokeship is recorded in Kobe with all the honku stamps etc. You live in Japan feel free to check it out. That is why I occasionally use the title in corrospondence and on the site. Right or wrong in your eyes. There are three Kata's btw in Pangai-noon. It found quite a home in the central temple. And I trained with Brad Barnett in the Military when stationed in Turkey at Incirlik AB. He was and is my superior...my better in this area. I was able to maintain a sporatic relationship with him for sometime afterwards but we have now gone our separate ways. He is a good man.

Sorry please direct me to the name of the person you got 8th dan in Pangainoon, the person(s) teaching Shuri Te Ryu in Okinawa, the person & orginaztion you got a Soke title from in Kobe…if there is a record of it then it should be easy to verify...….I fail to see the answers in that post.
(BTW, it's Honko not honku......and a honko is a stamp.....so that's like saying a NIC card or a PIN number)

Had you asked me the same question I would have immediately said, without any hesitation, that there is NO WAY on this planet you would defeat me in a real life/death confrontation.

Well Soke:rolleyes: I guess that’s because you live in “fantasy land” and I don’t.
Neither you nor I would know the outcome until it was over.
Tell me oh great Swamy….with your powers to see into the future who is going to win the next Super Bowl?

I can imagine your blood start to boil at that comment...good!

No, actually I found it funny…….ridiculous but funny.

If you do know the outcome of next years superbowl i would like to know also or better yet how about the florida lotto winning numbers for tonight!

On a serious note I agree that you must enter combat with the wining spirit, in doing so you will have a better chance of survival.

I would also like to encourage you to visit my thread on real life bad guys you sound as though you may have met a few.

I hate to play both sides of the field but...................................
Ryushikan is right about the fact that the only one who would know the answer to that question is the one who is still standing after the battle but unlike him i got your point!

I realy don't think ryushikan or most anyone else on the internet nead a short lecture on the psychology of winning or combat, not to jump an either side but I would like to point out that a good portion of the exchange has been quite meaningless, no offence intended (realy) just my observation.

Akja I am curious what you consider the diffrences between JKDC and OJKD. Regarding just the JKD element obviously.. I do practice JKD though I am not an instructor, I have not practiced with an OJKD instructor but from everthing I have read it should be pritty much the same as the JKD in JKDC, I mean there aren't any diffrent techniques and the training methods are the same right?

And one last quesiton directed at everyone or anyone who can give a good answer. Why do people say that if someone is insulting someone they have low self esteem? I hanv't seen any evidence presented of this, yes in specific cases it could be related to low self esteem but in genneral? To say anyone who is attacking someone else has low self esteem?

Wasn't his point that he'd always win (notice always rather than increasing his odds) because he wanted to the most?

You can't hit what isn't there...

That applies to the "hypothetical" and the real...
Like O-sensei said...get frimly behind the opponent's attack...

But given Zhao's latest posts...that would be cruel...

I'm done with this thread...

:asian:
chufeng

Thats to bad. It's a shame several here miss the whole point. I truly hope you never are in the situation to need it because victory starts with the mind....

Victory starts with the mind, but even a cornered rat can be stomped to death.

Originally posted by DAC..florida
If you do know the outcome of next years superbowl i would like to know also or better yet how about the florida lotto winning numbers for tonight!

On a serious note I agree that you must enter combat with the wining spirit, in doing so you will have a better chance of survival.

I would also like to encourage you to visit my thread on real life bad guys you sound as though you may have met a few.

I hate to play both sides of the field but...................................
Ryushikan is right about the fact that the only one who would know the answer to that question is the one who is still standing after the battle but unlike him i got your point!

Oh I got his point.
The Germans and Japanese thought the same way he did during WWII..........and we know what happend to them.

Sweeper,
Like I stated I only used the terms OJKD and JKDC because for the thread you need to paint the picture. There is a differance for the most part between the Oakland and L.A. schools. Oakland is more Jun Fan Gung-Fu with the concepts but the concepts don't go to the extreme as does the L.A. school.

But the truth is they are one. The two equal one whole. One can not exist without the other. If one school has Jun Fan but no concepts then it is just Jun Fan and not JKD and if one school has all concepts and no Jun Fan then it is not JKD at all. It is just someones made up techniques that they may call JKD.

All JKD is a process of learning and development in ones personal martial art journey. It begins by learning Jun Fan. Jun Fan is the tools of development, just the tools. You will learn the original curriculum as taught by Bruce Lee.

But to complete the JKD process you have to hack away at your tools and remove the non-essentials. Use what is usefull and reject what is useless and add what is specifically your own.

THe "politics" of the JKD community is that little by little there is becoming less Jun Fan in JKD. Its correct to add what is your own but you don't just hack away all the Jun Fan. As the JKD tree grows more branches it becomes more and more of what has been added and less of the original.

Realisticaly, learning Jun Fan is the most effecient way to learn the "concepts."

My Sifu has added what is his own, but he was taught by his father who learned it with a strong Wing Chun base from James Lee. And there are several guys from a school called Wing Chun Do that make it a point to train with my Sifu. Some of these guys he grew up with. So it was destiny for him to be more Wing Chun based than most of the others, and this is the way that I learned.

But I have and always will practice other arts also. So what is my art? Most JKD guys I meet and train with tell me that my JKD is good but I don't like the name of JKD. I prefer to say Jun Fan Gung-Fu so that people will know how I was trained.

There is more to JKD. There is not nough room here to write about it. Actually a lot of things can be JKD according to some people and they probably are right. But that would be "their" Jeet Kune Do, and not mine.

THANK YOU!

I think you are the first person I know of to flat out answer that question (or a simular one). Ok I understand where you are comming from than.

Your welcome,

JKD has its problems like all arts, but I believe tht JKD(concepts) will be the last art of all time.

The, "low self-esteem," argument is, to be sure, psychobabble. From what I've seen, it's typically used by folks who've been behaving badly or for some other reason get called on what they've been up to--it's a lot easier to accuse somebody who asks embarassing questions, or in any way offers opposition, than it is to deal with the consequences of one's own behavior or to explain a fundamentally-illogical argument. In other words, I screw up; I get called on it; I accuse the person I offended of having some psychological problem.

So, for example, I once went and asked my neighbor to turn down the stereo--it was 3 AM, by the way--and got told that I was being "too sensitive," and, furthermore, inconsiderate of their rights.

It's related to other similar response to questions--for example, the response accusing the other guy of being pompous or overbearing because he or she said something I didn't like.

Originally posted by rmcrobertson
The, "low self-esteem," argument is, to be sure, psychobabble. From what I've seen, it's typically used by folks who've been behaving badly or for some other reason get called on what they've been up to--it's a lot easier to accuse somebody who asks embarassing questions, or in any way offers opposition, than it is to deal with the consequences of one's own behavior or to explain a fundamentally-illogical argument. In other words, I screw up; I get called on it; I accuse the person I offended of having some psychological problem.

So, for example, I once went and asked my neighbor to turn down the stereo--it was 3 AM, by the way--and got told that I was being "too sensitive," and, furthermore, inconsiderate of their rights.

It's related to other similar response to questions--for example, the response accusing the other guy of being pompous or overbearing because he or she said something I didn't like.

Sounds pretty much on the money to me.;)

I have always thought the, ""low self-esteem," argument" was a defense mechanism and used when someone is put on the spot.
I think it goes along hand in hand with the “I feel for you argument” where the poster is trying to deflect some of the attention away from himself by painting the accuser/questioner out to be some sort of disgruntled malcontent with a “chip on their shoulder”.
In both cases it is used as a defense against unwanted or potentialy embarrassing situations.

Since that is a belief I have always held true to, both as a civilian and as a soldier, here goes:

I began training in Yiliquan in October 1986 under the direct instruction of Sifu Phillip Starr (founder and headmaster of Yiliquan).

I trained until June 1987, when I went into the Army.

I was in the Army from June 1987 - May 1990. During that time I continued to practice the forms and techniques I had learned during my previous training. I practiced with people from Shotokan, TKD, Wing Chun and Drunken Kung Fu since they were the only people I could find that were worthy of spending time with. I didn't learn their methods, we just provided each other with punching dummies.

I returned to training some time late in 1990. I don't remember when.
In 1991 I was tested and promoted to Advanced Level 7 (two tests below Senior grade, or "black belt" level).

In 1991 I was authorized to begin teaching at a small class location by Sifu Starr. I taught the class in tandem with another classmate, Tim Heuertz.

Sometime after that class terminated, I taught a class at a TKD school, and a class at a combined martial arts school called Dojo Omaha.

Our school closed and our teacher retired from teaching in 1992.

I reenlisted in the Army and returned to active duty in March of 1995. I continued to train with the material I had learned to that point.

From 1995 until 1997 I taught at Fort Riley, Kansas. I was the only martial arts instructor with an official class on the installation at that time.

In July 1998 I was tested by now Sifu Tim Heuertz (who was senior to me and authorized to test me by our mutual teacher, Sifu Starr) to Senior Level 1 (black belt level).

In 1999 I was reassigned to Camp Zama, Japan. In late 1999 I began teaching Yiliquan and a small Taijiquan class. I taught until just before I left Japan in 2002. I studied Shuri-te Ha Karate-do for about 2 - 3 months until the schedule simply became too difficult to manage with my work and home life. I studied Modern Arnis under Guro John Lehmann from around October 2001 until just before I left in September 2002. I began studying Ryu Te Karate under Sensei Robert Rousselot informally for the last few months before I left. I have no formal rank in any of those styles at all. I taught two Modern Arnis seminars in Gifu, Japan on behalf of Guro Lehmann, at his direction and authorization.

In 2000, Sifu Starr returned to teaching the previous Yiliquan students that remained in training after his retirement. In November of 2000 I was promoted by Sifu Starr to Senior Level 2.

In September 2002 I was reassigned to Fort Lewis, Washington. I continue training with Sifu Mark Hachey and his Yiliquan club in Puyallup, Washington.

Anybody else want to pony up with their details? Since details are what are asked of some (and not forthcoming from others), I figured I would set the tone... I have nothing to hide, and I demonstrate that by laying my cards on the table for any to question.

Gambarimasu.

Yiliquan1,

I have to do this in 2 posts. I did it in word so I just have to copy and paste. But first I want to comment on yours and then I will put mine in the second post.

Don't take this wrong in the least bit because I'm going to look at it in a manner that is common around here.

Nobody else has responed yet! It takes guts to be the first as you did and I will be second.

Your training starts with less than one year of training actuall only 8 months. Then you practiced on your own for 3 years.

Remember we are counting your actual class time. Everbody discounted my training that wasn't in an actual clas under an instructor. Evertime I was trying to explain what I did on my own all I heard was I never completed any of the arts. It was like everybody had earmuffs.

OK back to your training, so far you've got 8 months of class time under an instructor. So now from 1990-91, you received a year plus or minus of training from your insructor and toy were promoted to a level just 2 levels below black belt and permitted to teach a small class. So your nearing a black belt level and you only have 2 years of class time in.

You spent the next 7 years teaching although you didn't reach a black belt level and you only received 2 years of instruction. Then all of the suuden you get tested and promoted to a black belt level by your senior, in your system, not your actual instructor, but the same system.

Don't take this wrong. But you were only taught for 2 years max and you got promoted to a black belt level. What is the differance between your 2 year black belt and the ones that some people get after 2 years of training? I just said it.

You were evaluated on your merit, period. Whether you trained for 20 years on your own or whatever, you still were only taught inyour art for 2 years max.

So how could you have learned the rest of the system? You were evaluated on your accomlishments! I know you think that you practiced one art all that time but you aren't psycic, you could not of taught yourself something that you do not know!

This is the exact scrutiny that I received. But the differance between you and me. You were taught in class instruction only 2 years and received the equivalent of a 1st Dan. I had around 15 years of actual class time and was promoted to 5th Dan!

You see in between my 15 years of actual class time time I spent some time off, no doubt but I've spent much time teaching and training. My time in the arts spans over the last 30 years and my time teaching and training on my own adds up!

In my first karate class in1973-75 about 1-1.5 of years class time and I earned my purple belt in Kajukenbo under Bill Caspillo in Newark, Ca. He was getting old and passed the class to his younger brother Al. Al eventually closed the class.

In my second karate class in 1975-76 about 1 of year class time. Being a teenager I chose a school that was within walking distance and I started training in Hapkido under O Nam Ku in Fremont, Ca. I earned my green belt. He eventually closed the school.

In my third karate class in 1976-1982 about 4 years of class time. At this time I started slipping up as I will explain. I went back to Kajukenbo in the Irvington district of Fremont, Ca in Charles Gaylords school. Even though it was Charlie Gaylords school, I was a student of Greg Lagera. I earned my green belt (2 belts from black).

1981-82 As I stated I began slipping up. I was partying. No excuses. I was in and out of jail and did a total of 4 years incarceration. In the late ‘80’s my sister married a 4th degree black belt (today he is a 6th degree) in Bujutsu Taiho under the late Tarow Hayashi of Hayashis martial arts in El Paso, Texas. I credit Rob Wilson, my brother-in-law and Instructor with helping me turn my whole life around. We became good friends before I became his student in 1990. My Japanese training actually saved me. That’s why even though I’m basically a eclectic martial artist, I do speak up when people talk about the “martial magictry” and such. Learning to meditate and the discipline really changed me to become a decent human being. And today I am also a student of some traditional martial arts.

Now is a good time to note. During he ‘80’s I was incarcerated a lot, but I wasn’t totally away from the Martial Arts. I made several attempts to continue training in Kajukenbo. But my head was messed up and after 3-6 months I would disappear again.

In about 1992 I began crosstraining in Kobudo. Since this time I have been pretty consistent in training in 2 or more arts in the same day. I also credit my brother-in-law for introducing me to crosstraining. I was also exposed to Aikido and Judo although I wasn’t ready for those arts at that time. I earned my first brown belt and 2 apprentice instructor certificates within Mr. Hayashis International Zen Martial Arts Federation of North America. For personal reasons I left the Newark Zen Bujutsukan in 1995 after 3-4 years of actual class time.

My brother-in-law did much for me and out of respect to him I did not join another school right away and only trained on my own. Also my brother-in-law and former instructor has recognized my accomplishments since I went on my own and has recommended me to the Federation for promotion to Shodan. If he ever presents it to me I will accept it.

In 1997 I was introduced to Felix Macias Jr. of Hayward, Ca and I was his student in the Macias Method of Jun Fan Gung-Fu from 1997- 2000, close to 3 years of class time. The Maciases are very respectfully devoted to their Sifu James Lee and often referred to their art as being James Lee Gung-Fu. During my training under Felix Macias Jr., Felix started filming our training after I was there for about 5 or 6 months. He wanted me to be able to see my progression over time. So we filmed every few months and I have a little over 2 years worth of video of my training.

In 1998 I began training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Mike Jen in San Jose, Ca. I trained from 1998-2002 about 3.5 years of matwork. I call it matwork because I never tested although I became very good, not great, but good.

2001-2002- In this time frame several things happened to me. For a long tome I had already developed sensitivity in my arms from my JKD. But while practicing BJJ I had become aware that I had developed sensitivity in not just my arms but also my legs and essentially in my whole body.

In this time frame I began contacting several “senior instructors” across the country inquiring about building upon my past experiences and opening a school teaching traditional and eclectic martial arts under one roof. I have associated my self with 3 traditional instructors in 4 arts. I am learning Lou Angels Tenshi Goju Kai and George Alexanders Matsumura Shorin Ryu and Shorinji Ryu Jujitsu and George Kirbys Budoshin Jujitsu. All 3 senior masters are allowing me to test for black belt in the near future. My training in Bujutsu Taiho is not the same as but very similar to the Goju and Shorin Ryu. After verifying my credentials in the International Zen Martial Arts Federation of North America, George Alexander recognized my Ikkyu rank and brought me in as Ikkyu and allowing me to test for black soon. Of course the differences are significant enough that I need to train a bit, but that is exactly what I’m doing.

In this same time frame I sent my JKD training tape of myself and Felix Macias Jr. to Carter Hargrave. Carter Hargrave is certified in Bushido Kempo and Jeet Kune Do under Gary Dill. Carter presently runs the World Jeet Kune Do Federation and the World Kempo Association. Gary Dill was a student in the Oakland Jeet Kune Do school. My Sigung Felix Macias Sr. has verified this to me. Gary Dill is the founder of Bushido Kempo which is an eclectic martial art that its techniques are derived from Jeet Kune Do. Carter Hargrave has done the same, by modifying the Bushido Kempo and creating American Combat Kempo. Bushido Kempo is an open ended system allowing it to be modified.

So now Carter Hargave has evaluated my training in Jeet Kune Do and promoted me to Full Instructor in Jeet Kune Do. I was honest with Carter about needing a base system to build off of to turn my teachings into a system of my own. He has known all along of my intentions and I am in good standing with him. He has promoted me to 5th Dan in his American Combat Kempo which is based on the techniques of JKD and he is confident that I am qualified to represent him and given me permission to build and modify and promote up to 4th Dan.

Bushido Kempo, American Combat Kempo and Atemi Kempo Jujitsu all are derived from the teachings of the Oakland Jeet Kune Do school minus the concepts. They are in no way traditional, thus promotion in these arts has nothing to do with achieving any black belt before moving on. I know that most people think that the new systems should follow the same path as the traditional systems, but that just wouldn’t make any sense to me. I’ve heard “if it aint broke, don’t fix it.” Well if someone believes that their art needs no improvement, that’s fine for them, just not me. I’ve also heard “that there isn’t any new ways of doing things, so why have a new system.” These people just haven’t had a chance to see the differences, thats all. I didn’t say better, just different. I suspect that the person that made the last statement didn’t understand that the techniques in Jeet Kune Do really are different. These 3 Kempo Systems come from Jeet Kune Do but they are really basic open ended systems. Open ended systems are systems that are intended to be modified by its practioners. This is true. You can go to Gary Dills website and read the description of Bushido Kempo.

Originally posted by akja
Yiliquan1,
Your training starts with less than one year of training actuall only 8 months. Then you practiced on your own for 3 years.

Actually, going back over things, I started training in 1985. Sorry about that!

Remember we are counting your actual class time. Everbody discounted my training that wasn't in an actual clas under an instructor. Evertime I was trying to explain what I did on my own all I heard was I never completed any of the arts. It was like everybody had earmuffs.

I think the issue with your training on your own was that eventually it led to being certified in an art you didn't study. At least that was what I got out of it...

OK back to your training, so far you've got 8 months of class time under an instructor. So now from 1990-91, you received a year plus or minus of training from your insructor and toy were promoted to a level just 2 levels below black belt and permitted to teach a small class. So your nearing a black belt level and you only have 2 years of class time in.

Well, with the revised start date, I am looking at 3 years or so of training and only just reaching a low brown belt level.

You spent the next 7 years teaching although you didn't reach a black belt level and you only received 2 years of instruction. Then all of the suuden you get tested and promoted to a black belt level by your senior, in your system, not your actual instructor, but the same system.

I didn't teach full time over those seven years. I taught at the hospital for about 3 months or so, the TKD school was about 4 or 5 months, and Dojo Omaha was only a couple of months as well. The class at Fort Riley was 2 years in duration before I was promoted to black...

I did train under Tim and another of our instructors periodically, going to them for corrections, additional techniques and forms, etc. They supervised my solo training, though I did not actually train under their direct guidance. Just clarifying, not defending against what you are saying - so far you have been pretty much on the money.

Don't take this wrong. But you were only taught for 2 years max and you got promoted to a black belt level. What is the differance between your 2 year black belt and the ones that some people get after 2 years of training? I just said it.

The difference? Perhaps from one perspective not much. On the other hand, however, there were 3 years of instruction, and 9 years of practice... That could make a difference, I think.

You were evaluated on your merit, period. Whether you trained for 20 years on your own or whatever, you still were only taught inyour art for 2 years max.

No, not merit at all. We have very firmly defined and documented requirements for advancement. The test for Senior Level 1 alone is three pages long, and is a relatively easy test (compared to how they get afterwards!). I took the test and was evaluated on whether I knew the information and whether I performed to the standards required. If I didn't qualify for advancement, I would have been failed.

So how could you have learned the rest of the system?

I haven't! That is the thing of it (at least with Yili...). Just because I have reached Senior grade, doesn't mean I have accomplished anything at all... There is so much in front of me, I feel like I haven't learned anything at all!

You were evaluated on your accomlishments! I know you think that you practiced one art all that time but you aren't psycic, you could not of taught yourself something that you do not know!

I didn't "teach myself" anything. I practiced the information I had, went to my seniors to learn things I hadn't learned up to that point, and continued to practice. The only "new" things I learned were insights into the "old" techniques I had been practicing...

This is the exact scrutiny that I received. But the differance between you and me. You were taught in class instruction only 2 years and received the equivalent of a 1st Dan. I had around 15 years of actual class time and was promoted to 5th Dan!

Well, I agree and disagree... If I remember correctly, your grade was given you by someone under whom you hadn't really studied, in an art similar to the one you studied, but not the one you studied... Am I correct?

You see in between my 15 years of actual class time time I spent some time off, no doubt but I've spent much time teaching and training. My time in the arts spans over the last 30 years and my time teaching and training on my own adds up!

I said early on that I had no first hand knowledge of what your technique was like, and I remember saying that it may well be of high quality - bottom line, until I see it in person I won't know. I have no problem with someone learning a great deal during their own practice... Sensei Sherm Harrill (may he rest in peace) trained directly under Shimabuku in Okinawa for only a few years. Shimabuku told him "go and train for 25 years. Then teach." He did, and he was awesome. No problem with that. But he was trained in, and graded in, Isshin-ryu. Not Goju or Shuri, but Isshin-ryu. I was trained in, and graded in, Yili. Nothing else.

Nice post and nice examination of my training time. Very objective.

Gambarimasu.

Latest Discussions

Back