Would you recommend training if...

The_Fish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
...you are aching? Might sound like a silly question, but do read on.

As a relatively unfit person who has just really started getting into MA, I’m finding kickboxing to be quite a challenging workout. Not so much whilst I’m there, but the aftermath for 4-5 days where I am aching all over (namely the wrists/forearms from holding up pads to get punched hard). I’m wondering how many of you feel this after a hard training session and work through it? I’m not injured in anyway, and I know that if I was injured that I should take a break and wait until recovery – but these aches are part and parcel of working myself more than I have been used to (which was little to no workout/exercise at all :D). Is it fine to work through these aches? I feel fine at the moment to go tonight and give it my all.. but I don’t want to if afterwards is going to leave me even worse, and it will continue like that.

All I’m thinking is, if I am going 2 or 3 times a week, I don’t want these aches to be cumulative and start giving me serious problems. If that’s the case, I’m going to have to go once a week. Is it something I will get used to in time, something that’s just natural with these sorts of hard contact martial arts that I shouldn’t worry about? Just for the record, I am a young, lean, limber person who simply up until recently, hasn’t done himself any favours in trying to keep fit, both from an exercise and nutritional POV.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score

As a relatively unfit person who has just really started getting into MA, I’m finding kickboxing to be quite a challenging workout. Not so much whilst I’m there, but the aftermath for 4-5 days where I am aching all over (namely the wrists/forearms from holding up pads to get punched hard). I’m wondering how many of you feel this after a hard training session and work through it? I’m not injured in anyway, and I know that if I was injured that I should take a break and wait until recovery – but these aches are part and parcel of working myself more than I have been used to (which was little to no workout/exercise at all :D). Is it fine to work through these aches? I feel fine at the moment to go tonight and give it my all.. but I don’t want to if afterwards is going to leave me even worse, and it will continue like that.

All I’m thinking is, if I am going 2 or 3 times a week, I don’t want these aches to be cumulative and start giving me serious problems. If that’s the case, I’m going to have to go once a week. Is it something I will get used to in time, something that’s just natural with these sorts of hard contact martial arts that I shouldn’t worry about? Just for the record, I am a young, lean, limber person who simply up until recently, hasn’t done himself any favours in trying to keep fit, both from an exercise and nutritional POV.

Don't overdue it either, don't hurt yourself, listen to those aches and pains, serious damage can occur if you don't listen to them. If you find the pain unbearable, listen to it and give it a week or so and see if it calms down, then slowly work those muscles back up, you can't just jump from being a couch potato to a athlete and not expect alot of pain in it, that's not how it works.

Your body has to be worked up to giving it's all to it, not from 0 to 10 in a few weeks.

My advice and that all this is, is take your time and work into it.

MahaKaal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The issue with constantly hitting bags and holding up pads is the impact that it has on your joints, namely your wrists, shoulders and neck. A thing to remember is force is not always the important factor, if you can concetrate on the engagement of your opponent, breaking down the distance and having the co-ordination to flow from one technique to another without transmitting your intentions, you will improve much quicker then just hitting the bag as hard as you can. The better you become, you can dedicate a class to judge your punching power, reducing your chances of long term injury.

Listen to your body and respond accordingly, if your in pain your body is telling you something, let it rest or take it easy.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you can't just jump from being a couch potato to a athlete and not expect alot of pain in it, that's not how it works.

You should expect some soreness, but you do need to work up to that level of intensity. It's good to push yourself, but don't overdo it. Talk to your instructor so you can reduce the amount of time in areas above your level of fitness and start working up to it in ways that won't cause injury.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you might need to spend a little more time stretching before and/or after your workout. It wont end your soreness, but it will reduce it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Muscle pain and/or stiffness or Joint pain?

To quote my last Xingyiquan teacher when he was talking about Santi

"If it is muscle soreness I don't want to hear about it be quiet. If it is joint pain we need to do something about it"... actually he said "shut up and stand I don't want to hear it" not be quiet

With training MA you will work muscles you have not worked before or in a while and this will cause muscles to be sore and stiff. You do need to take a break in between workouts if you are not use to them to recover. But some soreness and stiffness is to be expected. But with time stretching and training (as has already been suggested here by those that posted before me) it will go away.

If it is deeper like joint pain or even bone type pain then I suggest you talk with your teacher and/or see a doctor.

But regardless if this is of concern to you it might be best to see a doctor in the first place than listen to an old busted up MA guy like me.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I trained in compeitive kickboxing, I'd train 3 days a week at the gym. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't be like the 5-6 day a week maniacs (sorry, much better fighters) that did so. I would run 2 days a week on the "off days."

What are you fitnes goals? If it's to get into shape & have fun, than 3 days a week is excellent. If it's to compete.....revist that when 3 days a week is very do-able. Don't put a head-trip on yourself trying to keep up with anyone else. Take your time & enjoy it.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You aren't going to help by training less. The way it works is that you become conditioned at a certain point.
Sean

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
As many on here have already said. There is a big diffrence between muscle soreness and joint soreness.

For joints you talk to your Sensai, it may be a matter of your mechanics being wrong, or if your holding pads, your holding them wrong and not allowing you joints to bend natural to absorb the shock of the other students blows.

If it is muscle soreness. Rub some tiger baum on it, and work through it. As it is basically the same thing as DOMS in weight lifting (delayed onset muscel soreness).

For example, when I decided to start working out again, after many years of being a lazy bum. I hurt badly. Afternoon of my first workout and the next day, I honestly could barely move my arms to even drink water. even something as basic as brushing my teeth that next morning caused a horrible cramp in my bicep.

Thing is that your muscles learn and adapt. Same workout a week later barely even caused any soreness at all. Two weeks later after that workout, I couldn't even tell I had lifted at all. And incresing weight now, just brings about minor soreness.

Any new activity that causes muscle exertion is going to be a shock to your body, as your nerves, muscles, connective tissues have to learn to adapt to the new movement of that usage.

*Obviously this comes with the warning of only you can know your body. So you have to decide, if it is just soreness, and not a muscle pull, strain, tear or somethng else. *

Good luck to you!

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score

when i first started i was like you. but you get used to it and the more you do the more you'll be able to handle it. some days it will feel like nothing. no matter how i feel (since classes are scheduled) i will go to every one of my classes which for me is about three to five days a week. some are repeats but if im injured depending on what it is i might not go but you said you weren't so unless your aches are extremly/unbearably painful, i would just go. unless you seriously don't think that's the right course of action then just go with your gut. go once a week if you feel you need to. it will still be waiting for you when you feel better.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't overdue it either, don't hurt yourself, listen to those aches and pains, serious damage can occur if you don't listen to them. If you find the pain unbearable, listen to it and give it a week or so and see if it calms down, then slowly work those muscles back up, you can't just jump from being a couch potato to a athlete and not expect alot of pain in it, that's not how it works.

Your body has to be worked up to giving it's all to it, not from 0 to 10 in a few weeks.

My advice and that all this is, is take your time and work into it.

I can only echo what other have said.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to decide if it's pain, meaning injury, or discomfort, meaning growth.

You won't expand your capability without some discomfort and soreness. But if you push through an actual injury, you'll do nothing but get hurt worse.

Some things I look at to distinguish discomfort from pain are whether it fades or worsens as I warm up and move, the onset (sudden -- injury, delayed -- probably soreness), and the severity.

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
I beleive the pain in your joints is that the muscle around them are weak and you are doing an impact kind of martial art. Build up the muscles all around the joints using high reps with little weight. But I may be wrong.

OP
T

The_Fish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses.

It's not joint pain, it's just from the muscles - namely around my forearms, shoulders and calves.

I went last night. My right wrist (the joint) was aching a little too, but I got hold of some wraps for my hands to help support the wrist, and took it very easy. Made sure my stretches were done properly both before and after too. Felt completely fine throughout.

Feel pretty good this morning too. Still aching but nowhere near as much, and the wrist feels fine. It makes sense that I'm going to feel a bit of an ache in the muscles after something like this!

Again, thanks for your help.

P.S - I had my first injury last night. A rogue knee from somebody else didn't hit it's intended target, and hit me in a place where no man should ever be hit. Dropped me to the ground, I almost vomited, and I urinated blood last night. Fine this morning apart from being a really little bit sore. No pain no gain! :D

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses.

It's not joint pain, it's just from the muscles - namely around my forearms, shoulders and calves.

I went last night. My right wrist (the joint) was aching a little too, but I got hold of some wraps for my hands to help support the wrist, and took it very easy. Made sure my stretches were done properly both before and after too. Felt completely fine throughout.

Feel pretty good this morning too. Still aching but nowhere near as much, and the wrist feels fine. It makes sense that I'm going to feel a bit of an ache in the muscles after something like this!

Again, thanks for your help.

P.S - I had my first injury last night. A rogue knee from somebody else didn't hit it's intended target, and hit me in a place where no man should ever be hit. Dropped me to the ground, I almost vomited, and I urinated blood last night. Fine this morning apart from being a really little bit sore. No pain no gain! :D

Some bumps and bruises and accidental shots are inevitable in good martial arts training. However, you're describing injury here. I would at a very minimum discuss this with your doctor, especially if you continue to piss blood. I'm slightly concerned that you got struck hard enough to drop you, and weren't advised about injury concerns.

"No pain, no gain" is not a good philosophy, and I hope you didn't take that from my prior post. Discomfort and soreness is normal; it's the result of several different factors ranging from stress on muscles that leads to growth to lactic acid build-up in your muscles. Actual injury is a different concern -- and needs to be handled differently.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Being sore is natural. I've taken time off from lifting weights, and when I come back, even though I lift light to build myself back up, I'm sore the next day. Over time, you'll notice that while you'll get sore, you'll recover faster. By all means, if you feel like you need to take a rest, take it. If you don't want to do that, then pace yourself more during class. In other words, instead of giving 100%, drop back to 50%.

As I said, the more you train, the more your body will adapt. You're using muscles that you've probably never used before, so its a shock to your system.

OP
T

The_Fish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Some bumps and bruises and accidental shots are inevitable in good martial arts training. However, you're describing injury here. I would at a very minimum discuss this with your doctor, especially if you continue to piss blood. I'm slightly concerned that you got struck hard enough to drop you, and weren't advised about injury concerns.

"No pain, no gain" is not a good philosophy, and I hope you didn't take that from my prior post. Discomfort and soreness is normal; it's the result of several different factors ranging from stress on muscles that leads to growth to lactic acid build-up in your muscles. Actual injury is a different concern -- and needs to be handled differently.

Sorry, the no pain no gain comment was a joke, I should have made that obvious! :D

What I explained to the instructors was that it was the initial shock and pain from being hit in such a sensitive area that dropped me (as it's happened to me before), and that I was feeling a little better after sitting down. I myself just thought it was like your standard blow to the groin region, it hurts for a little while but nothing major. I was recommended to sit out - which I did, but it wasn't until after the class that I realised I was a little bruised and was urinating blood.

I did make an appointment this morning to see the doctor this afternoon. It feels fine albeit the slight soreness, but I know from experience that that doesn't neccessarily mean all is well.

Latest Discussions