Dan rank in another system - your input...

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Kirk
What about JKD?

I didn't include JKD for several reasosns.

1) JKD is not really that new.

2) JKD was founded by somone that had plenty of training prior to founding JKD.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
I didn't include JKD for several reasosns.

1) JKD is not really that new.

2) JKD was founded by somone that had plenty of training prior to founding JKD.

Actually, he didn't have a lot of training prior to founding JKD ... not by some standards, anyway. He was only 33 when he died.

He'd only had 7 years of formal Wing Chun training and a couple of years of personal exploration when he began teaching Jun Fan. It was only a few years later that Jun Fan evolved into "JKD". Though he did have a good amount of experience in Hong Kong street fights.

Mike

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by pesilat
Actually, he didn't have a lot of training prior to founding JKD ... not by some standards, anyway. He was only 33 when he died.

I and most other people are very aware of Bruce Lee's training background. I wasn't as good as him after 14 years of training let alone 7.
Different time frames for different folks.
That doesn't change the fact that he had very good training and was skilled not to mention JKD was founded on pretty sound concepts.
I don't consider Bruce Lee to be one of those people that just woke up one morning and decided to pull a new martial arts style out of his backside.

What I am talking about are the people that hop from one dojo to another then think they have "Got it", then declare themselves founder Grand Poobah Soke-doke.
99.99% of the time these guys technique is far substandard in one art.

A few years back I met a guy that said he had made a new art that combined Karate and Aikido. (I forget the name he used)
I asked him why he did that, and he said because karate doesn't have any of the restraining and lock techniques like Aikido does.
Little did he know that there is a thing called tuite that is within karate which describes the very thing he was looking for in Aikido.

I had someone from New Zealand that wanted to study with me while they were in Tokyo.
They said there teacher had lived here for two years and mastered two styles of Karate while he was here.
Needless to say the rad flag meter popped up and the BS dector was warming up too.
I asked which arts did he master..........they said Shotokan and Goju and said their teacher had founded a new style called Gokkan Ryu since it was half Goju and half Shotokan.
For those of you that don't speak Japanese Gokkan is the way you say rape in Japanese.
I had a look at this guys kata and his technique...........not good.

There is a guy at Yokosuka Naval Base, just down the road from your's truly, that is 23 years old and claims to be a Soke. He has supposedly mixed Aikido with TKD and JKD and some other stuff I had never heard of but sounded like a made up name. This guy not only sucked but sucked big time.

There is another Japanese guy teaching on Yokosuka that claims to have developed his own style and claims it is sanctioned by the Emperor of Japan as well.
First off the Emperor of Japan has no training in martial arts.
Also, this guys style he claims to have "invented" is straight out of the box Wado Ryu with no changes.

These are the kind of guys I am talking about.

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know the kind of people you're talking about, Ryu. They disgust me the same as they disgust you.

But while Bruce was an exception, there were many people at the time who said the same things about him. He's too young. He doesn't have a foundation. blah blah blah

People like him are rare, but I'm sure there will be others like him. Consequently, it's really only possible to make judgments on an individual basis. Without having met someone and felt their energy, it's really difficult to accurately assess their ability. Never know, they may, in fact, be the next Bruce Lee -- as unlikely as that is :)

As for "Gokkan" ... maybe the "founder" knew exactly what it meant and fully intended to "rape" his students (at least figuratively/financially).

But it's more likely that he was just an idiot. I heard about a guy here who combined boxing and jujitsu and called it "Bo-Jitsu." When I heard this, I said, "Does he realize that Bo-Jitsu is already the name of an art?" Of course he didn't.

Mike

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
I'm baaack!

I wanted to reply to akja's comment above -

Once you posted your training, with dates and such, I felt there was no longer a really valid issue in haranguing you any further. You have a good amount of training under your belt, supervised by instructors. The only thing I take any exception to is still the whole ranking from outside your system thing. It has been shown here and elsewhere that a lot of the big names in the past had the same thing done to/for them. Some of them used it to validate what they did, most appear not to have given a damn.

If you feel you have enough information to start teaching something, so be it. You admitted that the real test of whether you know/knew what you are/were talking about is time, so in 25 years we'll see if anybody is still practicing what you taught them.

Yiliquan turns 21 this year. We have made it that far, and we are still growing and evolving (though it is likely we are nearing the end of the evolution phase). I hope your Kempo Jujutsu lasts as long.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

I pretty much guarantee you Kempo Jujitsu will be tauht 20 years from now. The question is whose. Thats part of the reason I had to put a name in front of it. As words Atemi to me, just fits well with Kempo and nerve training is something that is a part of Jujitsu. BJJ claims to be effective as self defense but in my opinion it is more effective as self defense if you add the neverve centers and small joints as targets. Thats the kind of adding I see. Nothing really new, just more like overlooked.

There are good reasons to blend. The right blend is what makes the differance. Most of my years are Karate. So now I have two Karate instructors. I am ready to teach and I do teach. The fact that I am practicing Karate is my way of going back to finish what I started.

And something I did not mention is that I have actually been looking for my last Kajukenbo instructor who is in the Bay Area somewhere, just hard to find. I do know that I will never train under my brother-in-law again.

GaryM

Green Belt
Reaction score
AKJA, Just a thought. Not being antagonistic. Why not call what you teach "James Kovacick martial art" . That way you aren't claiming to re-invent the wheel, and you are truly seperating yourself from the 'traditional'. Of course you would still show the traditional roots in the training that you have but you would basicly be saying, "I'll teach you to fight like me". I don't see how anyone would have a problem with that. I tend to feel that if you really think that the traditional martial arts systems are outdated usung a name like Kempo Jujitsu even though it is 'generic' seems a bit hippocritical.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by akja
As words Atemi to me, just fits well with Kempo and nerve training is something that is a part of Jujitsu. BJJ claims to be effective as self defense but in my opinion it is more effective as self defense if you add the neverve centers and small joints as targets. Thats the kind of adding I see. Nothing really new, just more like overlooked.

Calling your art Atemi Kenpo is like calling boxing "Punching Boxing".
Both Kenpo and Jujutsu have used Atemi long before you and I were born..........you haven't made anything "new" by adding or practicing Atemi in either art.

Originally posted by akja
There are good reasons to blend. The right blend is what makes the differance. Most of my years are Karate. So now I have two Karate instructors. I am ready to teach and I do teach. The fact that I am practicing Karate is my way of going back to finish what I started..

Here again, Karate has Atemi as well as kansetsuwaza...........you still haven't added or blended anything new or different.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The blend I was referring to was adding elements to BJJ groundgrappling from Trad. Jujitsu. BJJ is great for controlling and finishing while in those positions but theres a lot that is not addressed that could be used from a self defense perspective while in those same controlling positions.

It is not new, just differant from the way it is taught. BJJ comes from japan originally but its changed and it is good and it is effective. I just think they spend too much time in positions that are vunerable. To learn those postions you do have practice that way. But when rolling or randori or whatever you want to call it, I feel you should learn ways that not everybody else is practicing. I didn't say knowbody is practicing that way, I said not practiced by the majority.

BJJ is all over the place now. When we were first exposed here they were one up on us. Now we've been exposed and the pressure is on them because everybody is practicing BJJ.

Thats what I mean of differant. There are no new techniques, just the way we practice them.

So is there a proper use of those 2 words together?

OP
S

sweeper

was his name (Musashi's student) Tero Magonojo?

Kinda wonder what happened to the line..

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by sweeper
was his name (Musashi's student) Tero Magonojo?

Kinda wonder what happened to the line..

I think it was Makanojo.....with a "k"....the line still exists.

The school still does demonstrations at the Kubudo Taikai every time.

Latest Discussions