Picking Martial Arts

Dolev

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a background to Martial arts, I've been on mountain training trips but I've never taken Martial arts very seriously and I'd like to change that. I have no financial problems as to paying for classes the problem is finding arts that suit me. I'm currently sure of taking Muay Boran but i'd also like to add 2-3 more Martial arts. I don't have many time constrictions unless its project from school and such but i'm sure i can make time.

I'm 6'0 or 182 cm tall, wide (Above average) shoulders, 16 years old and i'm pretty quick. I was thinking of taking Aikikai or Shaolin Kung fu or Bujikan or Sanda. I'm looking for some advice as what MA's to take, Dojo's aren't hard to find since i live in Asia.

Thanks for any help,
Dolev :ultracool

Aurum

White Belt
Reaction score
"I fear more the man who practices the same kick 1000 times, than the man who practices 1000 types of kicks 1 time." -Bruce Lee

I'm not very knowledgeable in what comes to MAs, but I think I know enough to be able to tell one can't just practice several martial arts at the same time. It's too many techniques to practice and too many things to focus on. One is already hard at some point, imagine 3 or 4. Unless you're planing to pay your way to black belt or something of the sort.

Anyway onto your main goal, if you want to find the right style for you, first you must ask yourself why do you want to learn it, then what for, and if you'll like it and how you like it. Then you can look around for what dojos are close to you, make a list, research each style, and make your choice.

As simple as that. What style to go with will always depend on your personal preference, because no style is superior, It's about the fighter, not the style. :)

Cheers.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"I fear more the man who practices the same kick 1000 times, than the man who practices 1000 types of kicks 1 time." -Bruce Lee

I'm not very knowledgeable in what comes to MAs, but I think I know enough to be able to tell one can't just practice several martial arts at the same time. It's too many techniques to practice and too many things to focus on. One is already hard at some point, imagine 3 or 4. Unless you're planing to pay your way to black belt or something of the sort.

Anyway onto your main goal, if you want to find the right style for you, first you must ask yourself why do you want to learn it, then what for, and if you'll like it and how you like it. Then you can look around for what dojos are close to you, make a list, research each style, and make your choice.

As simple as that. What style to go with will always depend on your personal preference, because no style is superior, It's about the fighter, not the style. :)

Cheers.

That is about as well as it can be put. Go around and watch a few classes. Pay attention to how the instructor interacts with students. My style is Tae Kwon Do. However, if the instructors had not been good, hadn't shown a serious interest in their students advancement, I would not have stayed with it. I may love TKD, but I'll have great respect for any instructor of any art that shows me they care about their students and not just the money fees.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
First question...

Are you a striker; whom prefers distance and for the most part likes to stay upright?

or are you a grappler; whom likes to get in close and remain attached to your opponent even if it goes to the ground?

Many like to be both; but as a beginner it is better to concentrate on one to get the base down for your first preference...

Question #2 to follow :)

OP
D

Dolev

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Every Martial art that you can possibly think of is in a 20km radius from my house, and public transportation is extremely cheap. I realize that it's about the fighter not the martial art, I've sparred with a friend of mine who has his first dan in judo and "won" even though i hadn't taken any martial art but on the other hand i could land a clean hit on a short kid who took karate. I'm more of a striking type of guy even though i'm good at grappling, I did notice that in street fights without knives most people go for locks, about the whole buying my way through, i'm not intrested in my rank but what i gain from it.

I've seen all the teachers of the dojo's I've considered joining, i did kung fu and muay thai for a few years before i moved (I constantly move from place to place) to asia so i'm not really worried about getting things in a jumble ( I can always drop them), although i'm considering taking aikikai if i don't get accepted to bujinkan due to the spiritual aspect of the two arts. I'm trying to take 2 or 3 martial arts so i have the grappling and ground work aspect that you won't get from Muay Boran. I still have time before i'm going to dive into taking classes because it's kinda hard to choose; a week or so.

I want to improve myself so if you guys think that i should limit myself to one Martial art please could you try to give me an example because i'm kinda confused.

I'm looking for something that works for me, and from what I've seen it looks like Shaolin Kung fu is pretty good but i'm not so sure about the teachers. Whatever comes i'm going to try and work out whatever i can, if it does get jumbled i'll drop whatever i enjoy the least. Thanks for your input, if you have any constructive criticism it's welcome.

OP
D

Dolev

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That is about as well as it can be put. Go around and watch a few classes. Pay attention to how the instructor interacts with students. My style is Tae Kwon Do. However, if the instructors had not been good, hadn't shown a serious interest in their students advancement, I would not have stayed with it. I may love TKD, but I'll have great respect for any instructor of any art that shows me they care about their students and not just the money fees.
All the dojo's i went to seem pretty promising, it seems like Kung fu and jujitsu are really good but i'm still waiting for an answer from a private dojo as to whether or not i can come.

Aurum

White Belt
Reaction score
You seem eager and careless which I would say is common for your age. If you truly feel this comfortable on trying different martial arts and jumping around, then you have the perfect opportunity to try as many as you can before you really dedicate yourself to the one you'd like. I've always been told we should only focus on one MA at a time. If we want to learn more than one MA, we should first master one, and then start with the next, and incorporate it into our fighting style.

For example, some people learn Tae Kwon Do or Kick Boxing or so, and then when they master it, they start learning Judo, because their style lacks grappling technique. Or the other way around, they learn Judo but they want to land stronger, quicker strikes and keep their distance, so they go to learn Boxing or something of the sort.

If you're so comfortable with trying them all out, then do so, give them all a try, but focus on each of them on each class. Try to sink into the discipline, be the discipline and think about if that style matches your taste and your personality. We'll never fight decently if the style we mastered isn't one we like very much. We won't feel comfortable and It'll be harder to focus and slower to learn.

So again, if you'd like to master several MAs, master ONE at a time, and have the next MAs fill in the gaps and flaws of your previous art. Also, be aware that this process of learning several MAs will take years, so take your time and pay attention to the present. That's about the best advice I can give you as an amateur.

OP
D

Dolev

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, your input was very helpful. Tomorrow I'm goung to visit 3 dojos and decide between mauy boran, kung fu and bujinkan. I hope all goes well for me.Ill go with striking since its my weaker suit and I have a size advantage so most people won't go for grappling and I'm pretty good at locks etc.Once again I can't thank you enough for your input, have a great sunday!

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment, your input was very helpful. Tomorrow I'm goung to visit 3 dojos and decide between mauy boran, kung fu and bujinkan. I hope all goes well for me.Ill go with striking since its my weaker suit and I have a size advantage so most people won't go for grappling and I'm pretty good at locks etc.Once again I can't thank you enough for your input, have a great sunday!
Grappling can occur incidental of contact - Standing grappling, that is.

Good luck finding what Youre looking for :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a background to Martial arts, I've been on mountain training trips but I've never taken Martial arts very seriously and I'd like to change that. I have no financial problems as to paying for classes the problem is finding arts that suit me. I'm currently sure of taking Muay Boran but i'd also like to add 2-3 more Martial arts. I don't have many time constrictions unless its project from school and such but i'm sure i can make time.

I'm 6'0 or 182 cm tall, wide (Above average) shoulders, 16 years old and i'm pretty quick. I was thinking of taking Aikikai or Shaolin Kung fu or Bujikan or Sanda. I'm looking for some advice as what MA's to take, Dojo's aren't hard to find since i live in Asia.

Thanks for any help,
Dolev :ultracool

Let me ask you this - what do you hope to gain from taking martial arts training? The answer to that question may help to guide you to choosing an art.

I would also like to say that 'adding 2-3 martial arts' may not be the best choice you can make. Although many martial artists cross-train, for the most dedicated, a lot of that training comes later, after they are well on their way to mastery in their chosen art. Dabbling in martial arts does not make you a martial artist; but it could make you a dilettante. We have enough of those already. :)

What is more important than the art you choose (in my opinion) is that you begin training and work hard and persevere. We have become a short-attention-span world. Our societies want gratification immediately, or we move on to the next shiny thing. This is not something that lends itself to that kind of thinking or behaving. If you are not planning to devote a significant portion of your life to training, you are getting good exercise, but otherwise wasting your time; might as well go to a gym and ride the stationary bicycle.

Good luck to you - keep us informed - we'll help keep you motivated. In 20 years, you'll have a new perspective. A martial artist's life is shaped by martial arts. Is that what you want? If so, pick an art and begin.

OP
D

Dolev

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I want to gain the discipline from the martial art, I like to procrastinate and this is what seemed to help me. I used to be a varsity swimmer and stopped because I moved to Europe, swimming isn't exactly an entertaining sport and the only reason I would go back to swimming is to become popular, instead of that I've decided to take up martial arts I usually focus on one thing at a time but since I'm inexperienced I'm looking for guidance, MT seemed pretty promising and it's currently working out. I'm much less interested in rank than what I'm able to accomplish, martial arts is something I'm talented at, I pick up things fast but it's the hard work that pushes you past your boundaries and that is something I need to succeed as a student as an athlete and hopefully a martial artist.

OP
D

Dolev

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I forgot to ask, what's the optimum class length and the optimum amount of times per week. I can't go all week since no dojo offers that kinda thing.

Thanks for any and all your help!

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pick one art and train the heck out of it until the body mechanics become ingrained and you really understand the concpets and principles that support that particular art. The trick is finding and instructor who can train you in a manner that will give you those things in a way you will be comfortable with. No martial art is so simple that a beginner can get those things in one art and train in another art without confusing the two. That actually retards growth in both arts. Yes, cross training in arts can be helpful. I've done it myself. However, not until you have a solid base underneath you in one art.

Look for an instructor you like and respect in a school that trains in a manner that makes sense to you.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I forgot to ask, what's the optimum class length and the optimum amount of times per week. I can't go all week since no dojo offers that kinda thing.

Thanks for any and all your help!
It differs from place to place. As far as I know, 2-4 classes a week 2 hours long is standard.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
cant say anything Aurum hasnt already said really. he's summed it up rather well.

cross training is difficult, a lot of people do it but it has to be carefully managed, especially similar arts. you can get very confused very easily if one art does a kick one way but another art does the same kick a slightly different way for example.

i cross train karate and aikido. i am quite advanced in karate whereas i have only been doing aikido for a little over a year. i wouldnt want to start both at the same time, would be too much to handle. in my case my karate is so ingrained into me i can separate the stances/techniques for the most part, although i sometimes have been known to meet force with force in aikido when i wasnt expecting the attack ala karate whereas i should have moved and blended with the attack.

my karate instructors have said multiple times i should stop aikido and concentrate on karate and i continuously have to assure them it doesnt interfere. (other instructors dont mind, its just a couple of them that are concerned. - that said i have never confused a technique in karate so im not entirely sure where this thought comes from).

and this is coming from 2 arts that are completely different! karate with its various punches, kicks and blocks and aikido with wrist locks, controls and throws.

personally i have found practising them both has been really useful for me. due to aikido i understand a lot more about my core, using power from my hips and various joint controls and locks that when doing bunkai (applications) to movements in karate i can apply some of this knowledge to apply and effective technique.

however, i dont believe this would be the case if i started doing them both from scratch. its hard enough learning the basics of one art let alone two so i would never recommend doing 2 or even more at the same time from scratch but doing one for a few years to be confident with the art, THEN start learning another.. yeh sure. this of course can depend on the type of art. doing karate and TKD for example i would imagine would be hugely difficult due to both being striking arts but with very different methods of applying those techniques.

as people have said above, if you want to experience other martial arts then go for it. try out as many as you can and find the ones that suits you the best and stick with that :)

as for training, it depends on school and availability really. aikido i do 1, 1.5hr lesson a week whereas karate i do an average of 3, 1-1.5hr lessons a week. with work and other commitments i cant really do much more although i do step up karate a bit more when im getting close to a grading. with my aikido im happy just doing it once a week at the moment, im not really pushing my training with that. not yet anyway.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I want to gain the discipline from the martial art, I like to procrastinate and this is what seemed to help me. I used to be a varsity swimmer and stopped because I moved to Europe, swimming isn't exactly an entertaining sport and the only reason I would go back to swimming is to become popular, instead of that I've decided to take up martial arts I usually focus on one thing at a time but since I'm inexperienced I'm looking for guidance, MT seemed pretty promising and it's currently working out. I'm much less interested in rank than what I'm able to accomplish, martial arts is something I'm talented at, I pick up things fast but it's the hard work that pushes you past your boundaries and that is something I need to succeed as a student as an athlete and hopefully a martial artist.

Here's a question... if you are after "discipline" from martial arts, how do you expect to achieve that from multiple arts with different approaches, different concepts of movement, different ideas of what works and what doesn't, and so on? Honestly, the idea of a student training multiple styles tells me that there's an issue with their discipline that martial art training won't do anything for... mainly as you're not following what needs to be done in order to actually get that benefit. You want discipline? Have the discipline to pick ONE system, and devote your time to that. That's discipline. The rest is either fear or ego, frankly.

OP
D

Dolev

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can stay with a single instructor for 2 years before moving for university where i will resume my training.
The kung fu facility i went to offer classes twice a week for 75 minutes, although i think there are more kung fu sifus in bangkok i cant seem to find any on the internet.
I went to the this kung fu facility (http://www.shaolinkungfuthailand.com/index Eng.htm) if you guys could give me anymore places that offer Kung fu in bangkok i would be very thankful.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dolev

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here's a question... if you are after "discipline" from martial arts, how do you expect to achieve that from multiple arts with different approaches, different concepts of movement, different ideas of what works and what doesn't, and so on? Honestly, the idea of a student training multiple styles tells me that there's an issue with their discipline that martial art training won't do anything for... mainly as you're not following what needs to be done in order to actually get that benefit. You want discipline? Have the discipline to pick ONE system, and devote your time to that. That's discipline. The rest is either fear or ego, frankly.
If you would've bothered to read the entire thread you might have noticed that i said i'll look into one art, and quite frankly your comment wasn't very constructive. It was dickish, you might not be a dick but you sure do seem like one when you use forceful language and that you tell me that you see issues within me and my ideas; I am flawed but you can't tell whats flawed about me from a single post.

You could, as others have, politely come up with a suggestion or advice.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Son, that was phrased politely. Your comments are in contrast with your claimed aims, and I was pointing out the inconsistencies there. And yes, I have read the entire thread, and have experience in quite a number of the things you're asking about, so my comments (and questions) come from actually knowing what I'm talking about. You haven't answered why you think you'd be gaining discipline by dabbling in bits and pieces rather than dedicating yourself to a particular art, though.

OP
D

Dolev

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Quoting myself I said that I'm confused and that I'll stick to striking techniques thus giving up my point of filling inconsistencies, thus rendering my multiple martial arts choice moot.

"Thanks for the compliment, your input was very helpful. Tomorrow I'm goung to visit 3 dojos and decide between mauy boran, kung fu and bujinkan. I hope all goes well for me.Ill go with striking since its my weaker suit and I have a size advantage so most people won't go for grappling and I'm pretty good at locks etc.Once again I can't thank you enough for your input, have a great sunday!" (posted third)

"I want to improve myself so if you guys think that i should limit myself to one Martial art please could you try to give me an example because i'm kinda confused" (Posted Second)

"I'm not really worried about getting things in a jumble ( I can always drop them), although i'm considering taking aikikai if i don't get accepted to bujinkan due to the spiritual aspect of the two arts. I'm trying to take 2 or 3 martial arts so i have the grappling and ground work aspect that you won't get from Muay Boran. I still have time before i'm going to dive into taking classes because it's kinda hard to choose; a week or so." (posted First)

Discipline is taught by teachers not by the art, respecting ones teacher shall eventually lead me to enlightenment since the teacher gives me guidance. Once enlightened the way of the martial artist spreads to all aspects of life. Dabbling is a way of finding something i like. Muay Boran courses are inconsistent due to the vast amount of seminar grandmasters go to.

Latest Discussions