Opinions on XMA

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can't take a TKD blackbelt and have them perform Choong-Moo right after somebody from XMA has just gotten off the floor from flipping around like Yoda on Redbull. It doesn't matter how deep the TKD'ists stances are, or how perfect the kicks and punches are, the flipping is going to be more appealing to a judge, and the XMA competitor will win.

Not true. 2 years ago at the AKA Grand Nationals there were at least 2 instances where a traditional weapons form beat extreme weapons form and the traditional empty hand forms beat the extreme empty hands forms. Both were during the night time finals for the Warrior Cup. Bottom line is that it depends on the execution of the form from the performer.

Now, this does bring up the point of going into a tournement with a freestyle form, but even then, we don't train to do handstand-splits, so no matter what type of form I put together, unless I'm flying through the air, I'm not going to place.

You need to get out to more open tournaments.

If the tournement is supposed to be a traditional style tournement, then why are the XMA guys allowed to compete? In other words, I certainly wouldn't try to go to the Olympics and compete in the gymnastics floor competition with Hwa-Rang...that form would have no place there, and I feel that this relates to the other side of that coin.

There is a difference between an open tournament and a traditional tournament. A traditional tournament would not have open divisions which would allow XMA people to compete. Open tournaments are just that...open.

And besides, I know there are other arts out there that resemble performance arts...the difference is that I actually have sparred a Tai Chi practitioner before in a tournement. Sure, their forms look cool, but the thing is that they understand the SD aspect of their forms. These XMA guys show no concept of SD at all...and most of the time, they're just throwing arms and legs out like they know what they're doing, but all they're really doing is basic gymnastics.

There isn't any SD aspects to their forms. They are not meant to be traditional forms or fighting forms. They are for performance only.

It's not that I don't appreciate what these guys do...I certainly couldn't do what they do...but XMA has its place, and, in my honest opinion, it shouldn't be with TMA's.

And in regards to the description of XMA, I fail to see how it's even close to having all the martial arts rolled into one, as the description implies. I don't see anything that could resemble a single martial art, let alone multiple arts....the only thing they can use to consider as being a part of a martial art is the fact that they stick their hands and feet in the air and call it punching and kicking.

And KickFest hit the nail on the head for me: How is it that XMA gets to be called a martial art, but TKD is considered a sport?

Now, I'm not trying to rip on XMA, I'm really not. But like I said before, it has its place. And much respect to those guys who actually can do the flipping and acrobatics. It does take a lot of hard work and dedication, but that doesn't make it a martial art.[/quote]

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On that note..

I don't think Mike Chat should be able to take credit for creating XMA... In my eyes.. the creation of XMA started back in the 80s.. by a man known only as Kurt Thomas.

Actually Mike Chat did create XMA. Remember, XMA is a program which was developed by him. Though I'm sure Kurt Thomas did help inspire it along with people like George Chung, Jon Velera, etc.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A litte more data on that was that whole US Open part of the XMA special was a last minute decision that the producers wanted to do. Prior to that Matt was pretty much retired from competition and working on his acting carreer. So that whole "comeback" angle they were going for was really a farce. Matt in no way was seeking to comeback into sport karate. But I digress.

Interesting...

... and not really a digression. It's a nice illustration of how production agendas can distort just about everything that the media touch. The strong impression from the video is that the whole thing was about MM wanting to get back into competitive TKD, wandering the world in search of guidance for his comeback, going to Demura, going to that much older CMA chap for guidance on balance, working on his kama kata to ramp up the 'excitement', etc. etc., all in the interests of reactivating his tournament career. And in the end it was all scripted blather... you just cannot believe what these guys tell you, is the moral here, I guess.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting...

... and not really a digression. It's a nice illustration of how production agendas can distort just about everything that the media touch. The strong impression from the video is that the whole thing was about MM wanting to get back into competitive TKD, wandering the world in search of guidance for his comeback, going to Demura, going to that much older CMA chap for guidance on balance, working on his kama kata to ramp up the 'excitement', etc. etc., all in the interests of reactivating his tournament career. And in the end it was all scripted blather... you just cannot believe what these guys tell you, is the moral here, I guess.

Sensei Sharkey was trying to disuade them from doing it that way because it wasn't what they originally was telling Matt and him. Originally the concept was Matt was to be visiting different schools and train with them, then they were going to show the science part of it like they did in XMA. They went down a whole different path. The concept they had for Matt's show became Fight Quest instead.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sensei Sharkey was trying to disuade them from doing it that way because it wasn't what they originally was telling Matt and him. Originally the concept was Matt was to be visiting different schools and train with them, then they were going to show the science part of it like they did in XMA. They went down a whole different path. The concept they had for Matt's show became Fight Quest instead.

That would have been a much more productive route to go, IMO, if they wound up actually getting some real engineering analysis of the techs into the final product, the way university sports labs study athletic performance in minute detail to figure out just what the dynamics of the actions involved are—and how to tweak those actions to achieve small but crucial improvements in the output....

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That would have been a much more productive route to go, IMO, if they wound up actually getting some real engineering analysis of the techs into the final product, the way university sports labs study athletic performance in minute detail to figure out just what the dynamics of the actions involved are—and how to tweak those actions to achieve small but crucial improvements in the output....

I agree. It would have a lot more interesting.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I saw something like that before, interesting stuff.

I was under the impression XMA was something like those dude who punch through a 4x4. I am sure it comes in handy should you ever be attacked by one...I did kinda question the Combat Chi thing tho, or this guy who let himself get beat up by his Sensei, all while holding a couple heavy dumbelts...

midnightfox00

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well all this blatant hostility towards XMA is sure giving me no doubts on what I want to accomplish now.

I am going to begin training in Bujinkan in January, along side XMA. I will be starting both MA's simultaneously...so perhaps I could be doing an unwise thing mixing the two...but I will see how this works out I guess...I do suggest that anyone wanting to see above average XMA/XSD participants to check out Team Ryuoko. They are the ones that brought me back to Martial Talk and wanting to get back into the Arts...regardless of what form I chose...they inspired me to return....Cheers to Chris Mark!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well all this blatant hostility towards XMA is sure giving me no doubts on what I want to accomplish now.

I am going to begin training in Bujinkan in January, along side XMA. I will be starting both MA's simultaneously...so perhaps I could be doing an unwise thing mixing the two...but I will see how this works out I guess...I do suggest that anyone wanting to see above average XMA/XSD participants to check out Team Ryuoko. They are the ones that brought me back to Martial Talk and wanting to get back into the Arts...regardless of what form I chose...they inspired me to return....Cheers to Chris Mark!

Keep in mind that everyone practices MA for their own reasons and goals. As long as your goals are right for you and your practice moves you toward your goals (and you know where your goals are *not* taking you) you'll do fine

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I suspect that you'll find some significant and problematic incompatability in training both at once. You may want to focus on one at least until you have achieved a significant level of skill.

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Midnightfox, If you begin Bujinkan and XMA you will not be starting to martial arts, you will only training in one martial art and one extra curriculum class in a martial arat school. XMA is not a martial art it is just a class. If you have no martial art background I would strongly recommend holding off on your XMA until you have a firm grasp of the basics. If you do have a experience then once you get some time in on learning some XMA basics then start throwing in your bujinkan training. That is where it gets fun as you can use your creativity. Enjoy.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I suspect that you'll find some significant and problematic incompatability in training both at once. You may want to focus on one at least until you have achieved a significant level of skill.

I agree to a point. You must have a firm grasp of your basics before starting XMA. However you don't have to be a black bet or even a high ranking belt.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree to a point. You must have a firm grasp of your basics before starting XMA. However you don't have to be a black bet or even a high ranking belt.
I specifically didn't mention a belt level; there's too much variation in what a given belt means and is. That's why I said "significant level of skill." You have to be beyond a beginner, into something like a journeyman level of skill before you can branch out, in my opinion. I'm not even going to try to compare belt levels or even time in training.

midnightfox00

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well thank you for your responses and intake on the subject at hand.

Now I know I said bunjinkan but I doubt I will be able to get into the class now as the classes are highly conflicting with my work schedule...Do anyone of you suggest Wushu or Shaolin Kung Fu instead...or should I start with something a little simpler first then work my way to those arts?

It would probably be best to PM me regarding this, as this is not anymore related to the original post...Thanks again

Fox

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I HATE XMA! Flashy uniforms, acrobatic moves, music,etc....Actually, I don't have a problem with XMA,just the fact that they call it martial arts when clearly it is not.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suppose they could call it Xtreme Video Game Bad Guy Style or something more fitting but it does not quite have the ring of Xtreme Martial Arts does it?

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I suppose they could call it Xtreme Video Game Bad Guy Style or something more fitting but it does not quite have the ring of Xtreme Martial Arts does it?

No, but calling it maretial arts really messes things up publically for those of us who actually do martial arts,lol.

Would you like boxing if they had guys dressed in sparkling silver doing flips off the ropes to punch eachother in the face to techno music and they called it XTREME BOXING!!!?

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would you like boxing if they had guys dressed in sparkling silver doing flips off the ropes to punch eachother in the face to techno music and they called it XTREME BOXING!!!?

That actually got me laughing just thinking about it.. I can picture it with glowing boxing gloves, light show sunchronized with the punches and all.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
XMA has no place in the Martial Art world, it belongs to stunts and the movies.

Latest Discussions