One punch and knock your opponent out

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you walk away from someone trying to punch you, you tend to get punched in the back of the head, running away can be a safer option, provided you can out run them, otherwise you get tripped and kicked
If they stop trying the second your back is turned I guess. Otherwise you just made it easier for them

A slight misspeak on my part. You can walk/back away, but don’t turn your back on them.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It’s amazing the level of stoopid on the internet. I’m actually all for it. I want those F*****s from January 6 to be prosecuted to the hilt for what they did. But I am constantly amazed at how helpful the idiots can be, in showing the world the evidence.
Yeah I'm not happy about January 6th either. I'm still trying to decide which is worst. The fact that it happened or the fact that only one side wants to investigate. I always say the worst decisions are often made from uncontrolled emotions.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
agree to a point but sometimes you can´t walk away. I mean when i was a kid you would get jumped from the back, grabbed by the hair pulled to the ground & given a good kicking. dirty fighting. No Queensberry boxing rules on the streets.. also as a kid we fought with other guys from towns near us so they got to know you if you were game or not. if they came looking for you, you had to have a square go with them(a fight), anything else was seen as cowardice. just the way it was.

Well that's my point; You weren't really screwed until someone put their hands on you and started dragging you around (aka grappling with you). If you're trained in a grappling art, you honestly have an advantage, because even trained strikers want to get a hold of you in order to land more significant blows.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not happy about January 6th either. I'm still trying to decide which is worst. The fact that it happened or the fact that only one side wants to investigate. I always say the worst decisions are often made from uncontrolled emotions.
Yeah, pretty despicable. But we are probably straying into politics now...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, if this were true, there would be MMA fighters who don't do grappling at all. Obviously, most high level fighters can knock out an opponent with one punch or kick, but not all the time.

Or basically mark hunt.

But we are dealing with a specific body type.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Absolutely. The best way to handle multiple opponents is just to knock everyone out with single punches.
If your opponents can move in one line, you punch on the 1st opponent's face, the back of the1st opponent's head hits on the 2nd opponent's face, the back of the 2nd opponent's head hits on the 3rd opponent's face, ..., you may be able to knock all of them out by just 1 punch.

On the other extreme, let's use the machine gun approach. If you can throw

- right jab,
- left cross,
- right hook,
- left hook,
- right uppercut,
- left uppercut,
- right back fist,
- left overhand,
- right overhand,

fast enough like a mad man, do you think you can knock your opponent out by at least one of your 9 punches?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your opponents can move in one line, you punch on the 1st opponent's face, the back of the1st opponent's head hits on the 2nd opponent's face, the back of the 2nd opponent's head hits on the 3rd opponent's face, ..., you may be able to knock all of them out by just 1 punch.

On the other extreme, let's use the machine gun approach. If you can throw

- right jab,
- left cross,
- right hook,
- left hook,
- right uppercut,
- left uppercut,
- right back fist,
- left overhand,
- right overhand,

fast enough like a mad man, do you think you can knock your opponent out by at least one of your 9 punches?

Wait. Are we now using 9 punches to knock one guy out?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you can knock your opponent out with one punch, you don't need to train any grappling art. What can be more important than this in your MA training?

Your thought?
Depends on how good you are and how good the opponent is. People don't just stand there and let you aim, ready and punch, they move around. A knock out punch requires to hit at the very point, at the maximum power point of the punch(meaning at the perfect distance). If it is off, you won't knock the opponent out. It is easy to talk than to do. You might be able to punch very hard on a heavy bag or break a lot of boards, but people are not a punching bag, they move, they fight back.

Just look at UFC fights, it's not often people gets knock out in one punch. Also, this is not like UFC in the early 90s that grappler only know grappling, kick boxer only know kick boxing. You see those grapplers actually kick box with you and then tackle you when you are not paying attention.

Don't think I am happy with all the grappling, I am actually very bitter about it. I trained in Tae Kwon Do and kick boxing type long time ago, when UFC came onto the scene, I was already too old to get into it. I am still working out at home, but I only call my training aerobics, don't even want to call it MA. Only thing I can think of and am practicing now is stick fight with a walking cane. That create a lot of distance and much harder for a grappler to get hold of me. AND of cause, the cane hits a whole lot harder than a punch. I likely to get a couple of wacks on the guy before he can reach me!!! :))

If all else fails, poke the eyes and bite.

Last edited:

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
If there is a mediator, it's not a real fight.
they are pretty much real fights. fist fights or do you consider it too soft because there is no pokes to the eyeballs? most of them are fat pikey Gypsies but still got to give them some respect.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
OK i am a straight talker .. i think you have a very high opinion of yourself.
I also believe it will be your downfall.
End of conversation.
This is not uncommon in TMA at all. Some Sheldon Cooper type goes to a dojo/dojang for a couple years, they get their black belt, yet they've never been in a real fight. But they think they could beat Kimbo Slice in his backyard fighting days.

Truthfully, there are very few TMA'ist that I'd even put over the men that Kimbo Slice has beaten in the backyards.

If these backyard fighters can take several punches from Kimbo Slice, and have the ability to tell you about it... one punch from any of us on here ain't ****.

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is not uncommon in TMA at all. Someone goes to a dojo/dojang for a couple years, they get their black belt, yet they've never been in a real fight. But they think they could beat Kimbo Slice in his backyard fighting days.

Truthfully, there are very few TMA'ist that I'd even put over the men that Kimbo Slice has beaten in the backyards.

If these backyard fighters can take several punches from Kimbo Slice, and have the ability to tell you about it... one punch from any of us on here ain't ****.
reminds me of a good friend i had in the Army. He was from Fiji, was hard as f-ck. Drunk Bacardi like water, ate pizza but was muscular ripped to the bone. I saw him take on like 3 guys. we got into trouble but was a great guy very Loyal. went Airborne later.

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
reminds me of a good friend i had in the Army. He was from Fiji, was hard as f-ck. Drunk Bacardi like water, ate pizza but was muscular ripped to the bone. I saw him take on like 3 guys. we got into trouble but was a great guy very Loyal. went Airborne later.
Yeah, what's funny is that I'm thinking about the Karate Kid Part III.

What was Terry Silver doing the whole time? Building Danny's confidence up so that he would believe that he could beat Mike Barnes, but really couldn't.

Granted, Danny did win the tournament according to the rules, but Mike Barnes clearly demonstrated during the tournament that he would have murdered Danny on the streets.

But what Terry Silver was doing to Danny the whole time: is it really much different from what's happening in real life? I don't think so. When people who've never been in a real fight are claiming that they can kill a young healthy adult with one punch, we need to start asking questions.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is not uncommon in TMA at all. Some Sheldon Cooper type goes to a dojo/dojang for a couple years, they get their black belt, yet they've never been in a real fight. But they think they could beat Kimbo Slice in his backyard fighting days.

no idea who kimbo is or why he was fighting in his back yard

but its rather dodging the issue, as it seems unlikely il ever get to go to his back yard,

on the actual topic, IF you get a free punch, then you should exspect that to be the end of the matter, knocked out, knocked over or at least very wobberly , if that doesnt occur then your punching is woefully inadequate or you've run into mr slice,which would be unlucky in the extreme

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Something else: from what I hear, the average punch of an MMA fighter is mid 700's lbs. The average punch of the average man is low 600's.

I average average around 960'ish.

Even with that, I've only achieved the one-punch knockout once in my life. I've still had to earn every victory, and I've even lost with that.

RagingBull

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, what's funny is that I'm thinking about the Karate Kid Part III.

What was Terry Silver doing the whole time? Building Danny's confidence up so that he would believe that he could beat Mike Barnes, but really couldn't.

Granted, Danny did win the tournament according to the rules, but Mike Barnes clearly demonstrated during the tournament that he would have murdered Danny on the streets.

But what Terry Silver was doing to Danny the whole time: is it really much different from what's happening in real life? I don't think so. When people who've never been in a real fight are claiming that they can kill a young healthy adult with one punch, we need to start asking questions.
Karate Kid....LOL but yeah a good boxer can KO someone but most people are not Good pro Boxers or Ametuer Boxers. some people are just more aggressive & savage than others. can´t teach this in a dojo. no black belt will give you the will to survive in a savage fight.
i know people who are nice but when in a fight they turn into Lunatics.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Something else: from what I hear, the average punch of an MMA fighter is mid 700's lbs. The average punch of the average man is low 600's.

Even with that, I've only achieved the one-punch knockout once in my life. I've still had to earn every victory, and I've even lost with that

Even with that, I've only achieved the one-punch knockout once in my life. I've still had to earn every victory, and I've even lost with that.

that would be possibly impressive if force was indeed measured in lbs, but it's not, so rather meaningless,

how 4exactly have you arrived at this figure of 960 clearly not by measurement or youd know that

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
that would be possibly impressive if force was indeed measured in lbs, but it's not, so rather meaningless,

how 4exactly have you arrived at this figure of 960 clearly not by measurement or youd know that
LOL, I've learned to be patient with you because, well, you're just different.

But there are machines for this. County fairs typically have them, and many sports bars have them. If you go to Dave & Buster's, or places similar to that (I don't know what you have in the UK), you'll definitely find them there.

Anyhow, the machine has a padded scale that you punch, and it measures the force.

Latest Discussions