Use circular punch to deal with straight puch

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is no part one part two here. If you are going to try to use a circular action against straight punching you need to be off line in some manner.

Or he will get inside your arms and you're gonna have a bad time.

When you see your opponent's punch is coming toward your face, if you also jump in at the same time, will his punch land on your face 1st, or will your circular arm interrupt his straight punch 1st?

In the following picture, if A and B have the same speed. B's hand only has to travel 1/2 the distance than A's hand has to travel. Before A's punch can land on B's face, B's arm should hit on A's arm already.
circle-straight.jpg

If you stab me with your spear, my spear only need to move a small circle to deflect your straight line attack.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the following clip, his sword may have difficult time to reach to his opponent's body (because the sword length), but to use his sword to deflect his opponent's spear stab, the successful rate is high.

The circular knife movement intersect the straight spear movement is also high in this clip.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you see your opponent's punch is coming toward your face, if you also jump in at the same time, will his punch land on your face 1st, or will your circular arm interrupt his straight punch 1st?

In the following picture, if A and B have the same speed. B's hand only has to travel 1/2 the distance than A's hand has to travel. Before A's punch can land on B's face, B's arm should hit on A's arm already.
circle-straight.jpg

If you stab me with your spear, my spear only need to move a small circle to deflect your straight line attack.

I love the stick figures! This is a perfect example of how timing is everything. If B's timing is off at ALL he will get smashed in the face. I agree with your explanation BUT it can easily be rendered less than or completely ineffective.
Other than doing enough repetition to be more than proficient at the block, what else do suggest to make the block effective and reliable?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is no part one part two here. If you are going to try to use a circular action against straight punching you need to be off line in some manner.

Or he will get inside your arms and you're gonna have a bad time.

Yeah but that when you are talking about application and how to successfully apply it. If you are talking the concept of it then there's no need to go beyond circular movements with the arms.

If you are going to talk about the application and how to successfully do it they that discussion of footwork, timing, distance and the ability to move off center on both the left and right sides become critical to applying it successfully. Go ahead and start that conversation about the other things required.

I'll help you get started. You can actually use similar circular arm movements to stay on the center line, but it requires that you move forward or backwards to prevent that knuckle sandwich from being served. There's clockwise and counter clockwise circular am movements .

I personally like cutting the angle but I've maintained the centerline before and its something that was too aggressive for the way I spar.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The difference between a block and circular punch is the angle.

- Sometime a block can be vertically.
- A circular punch is always between 30 degree to 45 degree forward angle. Since the angle is small, your arm can extend forward farther, the contact point can be away from your own head and close to your opponent's head.

IMO, it's very important to keep your hands close to your opponent's face. Force your opponent to play the defense. Let your opponent to guard his head.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, the idea of "block then punch" is absurd; they should be simultaneous. And a straight punch answer to an opponent's roundhouse works as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah but that when you are talking about application and how to successfully apply it. If you are talking the concept of it then there's no need to go beyond circular movements with the arms.

If you are going to talk about the application and how to successfully do it they that discussion of footwork, timing, distance and the ability to move off center on both the left and right sides become critical to applying it successfully. Go ahead and start that conversation about the other things required.

I'll help you get started. You can actually use similar circular arm movements to stay on the center line, but it requires that you move forward or backwards to prevent that knuckle sandwich from being served. There's clockwise and counter clockwise circular am movements .

I personally like cutting the angle but I've maintained the centerline before and its something that was too aggressive for the way I spar.

You basically can't stand in the path of oncoming punches and expect to stop them.

To successfully go around you have to be off line from those straight punches.

E.g. coach polaxing me because he timed my jab

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don't want to try to stop it, you want to redirect. If you want to stay on that center line then you'll need to redirect those jabs. The only thing I've ever stopped a jab with was my face or my chest. I've redirected plenty of them but I don't ever remember stopping one. By the way I'm not say that it's not a good idea to move off center. I'm just saying that if someone wanted to stay on center then they will need to redirect the jab. If a hook is thrown then they need to cover the hook for the hook and send a jab straight down the middle. Block Punch at the same time. Sometimes people will allow you to move on the centerline and when they do that just cover for the hook and ram them in the face while moving forward. But if they jab then you'll either have to move off line or redirect. Which ever you don't better.

Man you look tired. Must have been a good workout that day. Thanks for the video.

Latest Discussions