On Being a Cop

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats good for me. I'm already pretty much First Aid Certified. I have taken the actual test and passed, but the tester was my JROTC instructor, and thus not qualified to hand out such qualifications. Are there any other emergency skills (like First Aid) that would be of equal use?

Any and all training will look good on a resume...The whole department recently had to take First Responder training..

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any and all training will look good on a resume...The whole department recently had to take First Responder training..

Thats like, a step abouve First Aid right? I have a freind who wants to be a nurse, so I'm semi-familiar with some of the emergency skills names. Is there anything you can think of specificly?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats good for me. I'm already pretty much First Aid Certified. I have taken the actual test and passed, but the tester was my JROTC instructor, and thus not qualified to hand out such qualifications. Are there any other emergency skills (like First Aid) that would be of equal use?

I'm certified too..............

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't suppose any one has anything else I could look into?

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
For those who haven't read my post in "responsibities of a citizens" thread, I believe very highly in serving ones country and community. I had also decided that (to serve my country and community) I would join the Military. I had decided i would join the Marine Corps (hardest to get into, and MCMAP has it's appeal). But, I decided that might not be a good idea, the war has nothing to do with it. I was planning on going into computers (and fighting tooth and nail to go to college and get commissioned). It's more the way the Military has been treating it's Soldiers lately. I'm sure they will figure themselves out, sooner or later, I just don't want to be in while they're getting it right.
So, I decided that the Police would be a viable option. I would still be serving my community (and a little more directly), but I don't have to worry about being fined when I get out. So, as for the actual question. Does anyone know what I should do NOW while I'm still in high school. Like classes I should take, any out-of-school organizations I should join, community service, that kind of thing. Also, do I need to college to be a Cop in most mid-large cities? Or, would the police help to pay for my going to College?

I'm a former Marine and am now considering the police force. But if I could do it all over again, I would do something like this:
1) graduate HS 2) take a full load of college (gen.ed classes) for at least one semester - if you join the military with college credits earned, there are cash and rank bonuse straight out of basic training 3) research ALL branches for the field of study of interest - if computer information systems is your interest, then I suggest looking into the Navy and the Military Intelligence - use your computer programming experience to play with satelites while sitting at the Pentagon or on an air craft carrier 4) use your interest/experience as a MA and try out for the Navy Seals after you get into the intelligence field 5) while in the military, continue with college classes via correspondance if you're out of country. Either military or police, get in the habit of running as one part of your physical conditioning. Just my 2 cents. Cheers

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm thinking, because of the point about being 21, I'll get a 4 year degree then join (or atleast try). My only real problem with this is my family can afford to help me with 2 years of college, and I don't think I would qualify too many scholarships. So, I might have a bit of a finicail problem. I dont suppose a Police Department might help pay student loans?

Many municipal governments will, with some strings, reimburse you for education while you're employed, but not before you got hired. But you're painting an inappropriately dismal picture of your financial aid situation. There's lots of aid out there, in lots of different ways, from grants to loans. Now is the time to start learning how the systems work, so that you can position yourself when you start school. You might also want to research the Police Corps program. If it's still in existence, it's basically ROTC for cops. They'll pay for school, guarantee you a job (assuming you meet the basic qualifications) when you graduate, and provide training. I don't know if it's been maintained or not.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you given any thought to being a Correction Officer?

Your MA training will come in real handy on a daily basis..A buddy of mine was a CO and he said it was the ROUGHEST job he ever held..Now he's a copper...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your MA training will come in real handy on a daily basis..A buddy of mine was a CO and he said it was the ROUGHEST job he ever held..Now he's a copper...

Yes, I second that! I did that for a while. CT has 3 jails, the rest are prisons. I worked in one of the jails. Basically, they're all pre-sentence there, so the turn-over is amazing. New faces all the time, and certainly some of the biggest PITAs that I've ever seen. LOL!

State jobs are good though. The benes are great! :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, I second that! I did that for a while. CT has 3 jails, the rest are prisons. I worked in one of the jails. Basically, they're all pre-sentence there, so the turn-over is amazing. New faces all the time, and certainly some of the biggest PITAs that I've ever seen. LOL!

State jobs are good though. The benes are great! :)

The benes would be the ONLY attraction for me..I did fancy a position on the cell extraction team, but the rest of the time you have to deal with the scumbags in general population....

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The benes would be the ONLY attraction for me..I did fancy a position on the cell extraction team, but the rest of the time you have to deal with the scumbags in general population....

Its funny because there were a few times when I was the lucky one to get held over for mids. Once everyone was locked up for the night and the count was done, 2 guys were allowed out to clean the hallways, dayrooms, showers, etc. I almost **** when I discovered that the 2 guys that were designated to clean were facing murder charges!! Whats funny, is that you'd think these would be the ones to give the most trouble. Nope, not them. Two guys that probably wouldn't think twice about killing me and they never gave me a headache!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its funny because there were a few times when I was the lucky one to get held over for mids. Once everyone was locked up for the night and the count was done, 2 guys were allowed out to clean the hallways, dayrooms, showers, etc. I almost **** when I discovered that the 2 guys that were designated to clean were facing murder charges!! Whats funny, is that you'd think these would be the ones to give the most trouble. Nope, not them. Two guys that probably wouldn't think twice about killing me and they never gave me a headache!

It's a puzzler...

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two guys that probably wouldn't think twice about killing me and they never gave me a headache!

Maybe they didn't want extra charges? Anyways, I might look into being a corrections officer. One of my training partners is married to a gentleman in corrections. I might have to talk to him next time I see him...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't want extra charges? Anyways, I might look into being a corrections officer

If they are facing life one more charge won't make a bit of difference...

CuongNhuka said:
One of my training partners is married to a gentleman in corrections. I might have to talk to him next time I see him...

Not a bad idea...Keep us posted...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't want extra charges? ...

If they are facing life one more charge won't make a bit of difference...

Yes, Drac is correct, and I had someone say that to me. Taking away phone priviledges for a week, taking away visits, etc didnt make a difference. This person was also facing life behind bars, so having some disciplinary action against him meant nothing.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe they didn't want extra charges? Anyways, I might look into being a corrections officer. One of my training partners is married to a gentleman in corrections. I might have to talk to him next time I see him...
I respect correctional officers -- but wouldn't do their job. They do 20 years inside, just like the prisoners. I think that's one of the reasons (along with low pay, crappy treatment, and little respect) that there seems to be more corruption in the ranks of COs than cops...

Latest Discussions