On Being a Cop

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
For those who haven't read my post in "responsibities of a citizens" thread, I believe very highly in serving ones country and community. I had also decided that (to serve my country and community) I would join the Military. I had decided i would join the Marine Corps (hardest to get into, and MCMAP has it's appeal). But, I decided that might not be a good idea, the war has nothing to do with it. I was planning on going into computers (and fighting tooth and nail to go to college and get commissioned). It's more the way the Military has been treating it's Soldiers lately. I'm sure they will figure themselves out, sooner or later, I just don't want to be in while they're getting it right.
So, I decided that the Police would be a viable option. I would still be serving my community (and a little more directly), but I don't have to worry about being fined when I get out. So, as for the actual question. Does anyone know what I should do NOW while I'm still in high school. Like classes I should take, any out-of-school organizations I should join, community service, that kind of thing. Also, do I need to college to be a Cop in most mid-large cities? Or, would the police help to pay for my going to College?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who haven't read my post in "responsibities of a citizens" thread, I believe very highly in serving ones country and community. I had also decided that (to serve my country and community) I would join the Military. I had decided i would join the Marine Corps (hardest to get into, and MCMAP has it's appeal). But, I decided that might not be a good idea, the war has nothing to do with it. I was planning on going into computers (and fighting tooth and nail to go to college and get commissioned). It's more the way the Military has been treating it's Soldiers lately. I'm sure they will figure themselves out, sooner or later, I just don't want to be in while they're getting it right.
So, I decided that the Police would be a viable option. I would still be serving my community (and a little more directly), but I don't have to worry about being fined when I get out. So, as for the actual question. Does anyone know what I should do NOW while I'm still in high school. Like classes I should take, any out-of-school organizations I should join, community service, that kind of thing. Also, do I need to college to be a Cop in most mid-large cities? Or, would the police help to pay for my going to College?

Some PDs have an Explorer Program. Basically, its for young people who are interested in becoming LEOs. The PD that I dispatch for has one. They have the chance to learn what the duties of a LEO are, in addition to helping out at events in the city/town, going on ride alongs etc. They do not have Police powers, can't arrest anyone, can't carry a gun, etc., but as I said, it gives them a basic idea. In a nutshell, they fall into the Community Service field that you mentioned.

As for the classes: While you're still in high school, if you have the chance to take a language class, I'd highly suggest that. Spanish is, aside from English, the language that you'd probably end up using most, but any other language would be good too. The fact that you have a skill, is something that they like. College is definately another plus. Criminal Justice classes would be a good thing to focus on, but again, as long as you have a degree, its going to be a plus. Do you need any of that? Depends on the PD. Some PDs require a college degree. In any case, if it comes down to you and someone else, if you had the degree and they didn't, the odds will be more in your favor.

Once you start getting close to the point where you're actually going to be testing, I'd suggest preparing for the agility test. Running, sit-ups, push ups, etc. At the bookstore, you should find books with practice tests that will give you an idea as to what the written test will be like.

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of places require or at least strongly prefer at least a 2-year degree. But, it varies.

The suggestion of studying Spanish is an excellent one. Military experience, including the reserves, is a good way to enter the police force. Don't overlook federal LEO positions also (FBI, Marshals Service, Border Patrol, etc.).

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The suggestion of studying Spanish is an excellent one. Military experience, including the reserves, is a good way to enter the police force. Don't overlook federal LEO positions also (FBI, Marshals Service, Border Patrol, etc.).

Great points! I forgot about those. A guy that I work with took the State Police exam a while back. His Military background (reserves) gave him extra points, so basically he scored 100 on the written. The background check will be the next phase.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cuong-Nhuka,

Just a tip from someone that did study Spanish. :)

Personally, I'm not a cop, nor do I work with the public...although some of my work relates to law enforcement. Just speaking from experience, taking the Spanish I did was an excellent investment in my career. Its offered me opportunities and edges over other candidates that I simply would not have had, without the language. Even though my Spanish isn't perfect, it's still gotten a lot of use. :D

Good luck. Fingers crossed for you!

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some PDs have an Explorer Program. Basically, its for young people who are interested in becoming LEOs. The PD that I dispatch for has one. They have the chance to learn what the duties of a LEO are, in addition to helping out at events in the city/town, going on ride alongs etc. They do not have Police powers, can't arrest anyone, can't carry a gun, etc., but as I said, it gives them a basic idea. In a nutshell, they fall into the Community Service field that you mentioned.

As for the classes: While you're still in high school, if you have the chance to take a language class, I'd highly suggest that. Spanish is, aside from English, the language that you'd probably end up using most, but any other language would be good too. The fact that you have a skill, is something that they like. College is definately another plus. Criminal Justice classes would be a good thing to focus on, but again, as long as you have a degree, its going to be a plus. Do you need any of that? Depends on the PD. Some PDs require a college degree. In any case, if it comes down to you and someone else, if you had the degree and they didn't, the odds will be more in your favor.

Once you start getting close to the point where you're actually going to be testing, I'd suggest preparing for the agility test. Running, sit-ups, push ups, etc. At the bookstore, you should find books with practice tests that will give you an idea as to what the written test will be like.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I had not heard of the Explorer Program, but I will look into it. I would take Spanish at school, but I doubt that the program has inproved much in the last year and half (when i was insulted by my Spanish 1-2 teacher). I could, however, get one of the numerous Chicanos/Chicas at my school to tutor me I suppose.
Thanks for the info on College and PT/Written tests. What is kinda funny, my library has a book on the ASVAB. I don't suppose the two tests would be at all similar? Or for that matter the PT portion. I know the Military Pt test is on a slideing scale, like in high school test were perfect is 100%.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of places require or at least strongly prefer at least a 2-year degree. But, it varies.

Part of the reason I'm curious about the Police helping to pay for College, is because my family can pay for 2 years of college for me. I don't suppose the Police would be able to help me? You know, re-imburse me for A's, that kinda thing. I know some buisnesses do, so I thought it was worth asking.

I'm curious about Federal LEO positions. Would they require me to leave my area? It's something I'm kinda hopeing to avoid. I would deffintly be required to move to join the Border Patrol, so thats out of the question. I'm a bet of a fence rider on that issue anyways.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
The background check will be the next phase.

Would 3rd degree misdemeanor assault hold me back? It was a juvinile offense, if that matters at all.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I had not heard of the Explorer Program, but I will look into it. I would take Spanish at school, but I doubt that the program has inproved much in the last year and half (when i was insulted by my Spanish 1-2 teacher). I could, however, get one of the numerous Chicanos/Chicas at my school to tutor me I suppose.
Thanks for the info on College and PT/Written tests. What is kinda funny, my library has a book on the ASVAB. I don't suppose the two tests would be at all similar? Or for that matter the PT portion. I know the Military Pt test is on a slideing scale, like in high school test were perfect is 100%.

To give you an idea, here is a link for the CT State Police. On the sidebar, you'll see spots for what the selection process is like, the agility test and a few other things.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cuong-Nhuka,

Just a tip from someone that did study Spanish. :)

Personally, I'm not a cop, nor do I work with the public...although some of my work relates to law enforcement. Just speaking from experience, taking the Spanish I did was an excellent investment in my career. Its offered me opportunities and edges over other candidates that I simply would not have had, without the language. Even though my Spanish isn't perfect, it's still gotten a lot of use. :D

Good luck. Fingers crossed for you!

Thank you Carol.
Like I said to Mike, the Spanish program at my school kinda sucks. I'm thinking (since I'll probably have to go to college anyways) I could take alot of Spanish classes. What do you think?

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
To give you an idea, here is a link for the CT State Police. On the sidebar, you'll see spots for what the selection process is like, the agility test and a few other things.

Cool. Thanks man!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Part of the reason I'm curious about the Police helping to pay for College, is because my family can pay for 2 years of college for me. I don't suppose the Police would be able to help me? You know, re-imburse me for A's, that kinda thing. I know some buisnesses do, so I thought it was worth asking.

Its very possible, but your best bet would be to inqure with the dept. that you're looking into.

I'm curious about Federal LEO positions. Would they require me to leave my area? It's something I'm kinda hopeing to avoid. I would deffintly be required to move to join the Border Patrol, so thats out of the question. I'm a bet of a fence rider on that issue anyways.

Yes, most likely you would be required to move. One of the cops where I work is trying to become an ICE agent: Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He was telling me that if he gets the job, he will end up moving to NY. He was already in the Border Patrol, left that to become a cop where he is now. Has a college degree and speaks fluent Spanish. The odds are looking pretty good for him.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you Carol.
Like I said to Mike, the Spanish program at my school kinda sucks. I'm thinking (since I'll probably have to go to college anyways) I could take alot of Spanish classes. What do you think?

Well...if you can get started in HS, I would strongly recommend it. I can understand not wanting to work with an insulting teacher, but a language is something that takes years to build up. Having your Spanish speaking friends can also help but (in my experience) working with friends usually doesn't have anywhere near the rigor of coursework.

Just be careful not to sell yourself short, because you get points for what you are able to accomplish....not for what you weren't able to accomplish. You're thinking long term, and asking some interesting questions. If you make some very good decisions now, and over the next few years, you will have a very bright future. :)

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its very possible, but your best bet would be to inqure with the dept. that you're looking into.

Yes, most likely you would be required to move. One of the cops where I work is trying to become an ICE agent: Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He was telling me that if he gets the job, he will end up moving to NY. He was already in the Border Patrol, left that to become a cop where he is now. Has a college degree and speaks fluent Spanish. The odds are looking pretty good for him.

I'll make some calls tomorrow, see what the skinny is on, amoungst other things, college.

That does make me want to avoid joining any Federal LEO Positions. What about state? You know, joining the State Troopers, or the like.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I dont know. Its possible that could be erased from your background, over time. In the mean time, dont get into anymore fights! :)

No problem :)

The fight avoidence goes with out saying.

-note to self, put Mike in buddy list...-

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well...if you can get started in HS, I would strongly recommend it. I can understand not wanting to work with an insulting teacher, but a language is something that takes years to build up. Having your Spanish speaking friends can also help but (in my experience) working with friends usually doesn't have anywhere near the rigor of coursework.

Just be careful not to sell yourself short, because you get points for what you are able to accomplish....not for what you weren't able to accomplish. You're thinking long term, and asking some interesting questions. If you make some very good decisions now, and over the next few years, you will have a very bright future. :)

right, i understand. i wasn't thinking about going in and saying "i can speak spanish" more like "i can kinda speak some spanish" and explain i was taught by a freind of mine who is an El Salvidoria. since, i would probably get a female friend of mine who is from El Salvator to teach me.

THANKS CAROL! - note to self, add Carol to buddy list as well-

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about the following response, but I'm going to throw it out there with the following caveat: I am not necessarily recommending this course of action, just letting you know about the options.

Go talk to an armed forces recruiter. The Army will pay for college. Police forces love to hire military types. Many police forces will take your military time into consideration when figuring out your seniority for things like pay and vacation. Lots of armed forces skills feed right into police work: field medic, firearms, tactical response.

If you're really serious, you can even go for an MP assignment while you're in there.

On the downside, there's a war on.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about the following response, but I'm going to throw it out there with the following caveat: I am not necessarily recommending this course of action, just letting you know about the options.

Go talk to an armed forces recruiter. The Army will pay for college. Police forces love to hire military types. Many police forces will take your military time into consideration when figuring out your seniority for things like pay and vacation. Lots of armed forces skills feed right into police work: field medic, firearms, tactical response.

If you're really serious, you can even go for an MP assignment while you're in there.

Cannot anything more than what has already posted..Military is an excellent leg up to LE..As far as speaking Spanish goes there were a couple of departments I heard of where that skill was HIGHLY DESIRABLE and every effort was undertaken to get that person in..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for your law enforcement agencies of course but over here we look for maturity as much as anything else, if someone still in their teens applies they tend to be told go away and get some life experience for a couple of years then come back. It can be anything, volunteering on charity projects, working abroad, even back packing around Europe. anything that can show you can look after yourself, not in a martial arts context but that you have learned life skills.Ex service personal are ideal in that respect but can also make bad candidates in that they can be fixed in their military ways, depends on the candidate and also what corps they were in.