On Being a Cop

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ex service personal are ideal in that respect but can also make bad candidates in that they can be fixed in their military ways, depends on the candidate and also what corps they were in.

And how long they were in. Someone that did their four-and-out isn't going to be the same as someone that did the full 20.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All righty then...

You might check out this link... It's something I wrote sometime back about the application process.

Now...

You want to become a cop because you don't like how the military is treating soldiers. You really think cops, feds, or other LEOs get treated better?

Law enforcement is more than merely profession or career. It's a demanding calling; being a cop WILL change how you view yourself, your family, everyone you deal with... It's tremendously demanding, and tremendously stressful. It's also incredibly rewarding -- even if the financial rewards suck, and the brass drives you nuts. Others have mentioned Explorers; you can find Explorers or similar programs sponsored by many police departments. The program is similar to JROTC; it's career education and community service. There are also law enforcement programs in some high schools, that give students good exposure to what police work is really like.

As to feds... If you go fed, you pretty much WILL be expected to move as the agency demands. For some federal agencies, if you don't do sufficient time in various places, including a headquarters tour, you won't move up the ladder. To me, what most feds do is boring. It's mostly paper chases and paper work. Feds DO, with very few exceptions, require a 4-year degree. Most state police departments also will expect you to be willing to move to where they need you within the state.

Education-wise -- most police departments don't require college. Some require it for advancement, and the days of a police chief without at least a bachelor's (and often a master's or higher) are slipping by. Even in a 6 or 7 man department, there's just so much that the chief has to know beyond being a good cop... Some, but not all, forces will pay you more for a degree. That said -- few US agencies hire people as cops below age 21. You've got 3 basic choices about what to do with that time, because sitting on your *** and doing nothing is a non-starter. You can work, in some capacity, and get some decent life history and show responsibility. You'll find that almost any job has some usefulness in law enforcement... Or you can join the military. Cost/benefits there are covered well by others -- but there IS a war on, and you've got other concerns there. Finally, you can go to school... The bottom line here is simple: You can't spend 3 or 4 years going to parties, spinning your wheels, and doing nothing even in the current climate where agencies are fighting hard for a small talent pool.

Your background will be examined. That assault will come up; be ready to explain it. It's most likely that, with a decent and honest explanation, it won't be a problem. What they will want to know is that your judgement has improved; in today's world, the liability of hiring a cop who can't rein in their temper is not something that anyone can tolerate. Stay away from drugs, alcohol, and do your best to avoid "stupid kid stunts." You also need a good driving record.

Languages... Learn at least one. Start now. And learn it right, not what some of your buddies feel like teaching you. (For example... at least in my area, calling Latinos "Chicanos" would not go over especially well...) I don't know what happened between you and the Spanish teacher at your school; in all honesty, given some of your posts, I've got a feeling that the communication problem that led to you being insulted was probably 2-way. Spanish is very useful and may be required soon in at least some areas. Asian languages are also highly desired in many places. Middle Eastern languages are of special interest federally, for obvious reasons.

I'd also suggest looking at several of the police related forums on the internet. Be cautious; there are lots of posers and wannabes on the web who aren't half of what they claim to be. I personally suggestLaw Enforcement Forums simply because they make it clear who is and is not a real cop -- and they have a very stringent verification process. But, you've got to understand that particular site is run by cops, for cops, and it's got a certain feel because of that.

Right now -- this is what I'd suggest you do. Keep researching career options. If you don't go into the military, I encourage you to go to school. And to work. Getting out on your own after high school isn't a bad thing. But the main thing is to keep researching lots of careers. I bet your interests change at least once more before you graduate.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You want to become a cop because you don't like how the military is treating soldiers. You really think cops, feds, or other LEOs get treated better?

Worse at times...

jks9199 said:
Right now -- this is what I'd suggest you do. Keep researching career options. If you don't go into the military, I encourage you to go to school. And to work. Getting out on your own after high school isn't a bad thing. But the main thing is to keep researching lots of careers. I bet your interests change at least once more before you graduate.

At least once...

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about the following response, but I'm going to throw it out there with the following caveat: I am not necessarily recommending this course of action, just letting you know about the options.

Go talk to an armed forces recruiter. The Army will pay for college. Police forces love to hire military types. Many police forces will take your military time into consideration when figuring out your seniority for things like pay and vacation. Lots of armed forces skills feed right into police work: field medic, firearms, tactical response.

If you're really serious, you can even go for an MP assignment while you're in there.

On the downside, there's a war on.

I was planning on going into Military and going into computers, like I said. I decided against it because of how the Military is treating some of it's soldiers. I don't care about the war, cause like I said, I was going to go into computers.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cannot anything more than what has already posted..Military is an excellent leg up to LE..As far as speaking Spanish goes there were a couple of departments I heard of where that skill was HIGHLY DESIRABLE and every effort was undertaken to get that person in..

Which department? I might look into it.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't speak for your law enforcement agencies of course but over here we look for maturity as much as anything else, if someone still in their teens applies they tend to be told go away and get some life experience for a couple of years then come back. It can be anything, volunteering on charity projects, working abroad, even back packing around Europe. anything that can show you can look after yourself, not in a martial arts context but that you have learned life skills.Ex service personal are ideal in that respect but can also make bad candidates in that they can be fixed in their military ways, depends on the candidate and also what corps they were in.

Makes me want to look into volenteer work again... and backpacking around Europe.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, there is too much of JKS's post to quote, so I'll go with out it.

I'll check out those links here soon. And I'm atleast hopeing they are treated better. I know for a fact that the Fire Fighters in my area are going through a little bit of a fight with themselves (like fireing almost a third of the local force), so I'm going to avoid that as well.

I'm going to look into Explorer Programs little latter on, and Federal/State LEOs are not in the picture at the moment. Maybe if I get a steady job with a local LEO, I'll check out going up. But, I don't think it would be wise to go Federal with out haveing experience.

Right now I'm thinking, because of the point about being 21, I'll get a 4 year degree then join (or atleast try). My only real problem with this is my family can afford to help me with 2 years of college, and I don't think I would qualify too many scholarships. So, I might have a bit of a finicail problem. I dont suppose a Police Department might help pay student loans?

The part about my record, and staying out of trouble kinda goes with out saying. But I do understand why you would make sure to point it out.

Languages, I don't think there are too many people in my area who speak an Asian Language (expct the small community that's Vietnamese), so I don't think would be too mcuh of a problem. As for why I said Chicano/Chica, it's because everyone with blood south of the border (that I know) gets mad if DON'T use that term. Why they don't like any other term is beyond me. I'm just letting muscle memory take over with that.

I'll look into that forum, and I will look into other carrer options.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not really what you do with the time whether working, volunteering or backpacking, it more that you can show you can make decisions, have interacted with a wide range of people, travel is good as it shows independance, that sort of thing. Volunteering to work with a charity abroad cabnbe useful for the charity and for you as well as being good fun. It shows social awareness and that you can be practical as well. Just saying you want to help people is not enough, if you can demonstrate that you can put your money where your mouth is that's very acceptable.
Can I ask, when you say Spanish is that what we'd know as European Spanish (Castilian) or South American Spanish?

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
There are other options you can try right now without having to wait, , if you like, that will give you a feel on whether long term military service is right for you:

*28 states have a non-federalized, volunteer State Guard. You aren't paid, and you drill about one weekend a month, in my particular guard you have to maintain 50% attenddance to stay in good standing and 70% to get promoted plus FEMA courses on your own time.

One benefit is that State Guards, unlike the National Guard, cannot be federalized.(cannot be deployed outside their own state's borders). You will get to help serve your country without getting entangled in something that started out as a noble cause but was IMO perverted into something else. You would be Homeland Security. PERIOD.

Here's the site for the MA State Guard for info purposes ( www.mastateguard.com )

You can start in a State Guard at 17.

Another option you can consider as early as 16 is to check out the U.S. Civil Air Patrol ( www.cap.gov ). From 16 to 21 you'll be a cadet, after 21 you become a senior member, an adult officer.

Besides their cadet program, the CAP is known for search and rescue missions (fully 95% of all inland US search and rescue missions have some kind of CAP presence), and with the changing times CAP is also being used more and more on drug raids ( flying over and identifying areas they're grown and notifying law enforcement) Border patrol( self descriptive, maintain a flying watch over the borders), and disaster relief (during 9/11, The Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Connecticut wings flew blood and medical supplies into NYC).

If at anytime you need to leave your location to go to school, you can request release from either or both at any time unlike regular service where it's contractual for a number of years( the MA State Guard "default" term of service is 3 years but you can request release at anytime because you are an unpaid volunteer for personal or employment reasons).

Hope these have given you something to think about.

Andy Moynihan

Private, Alpha Team, 1st Regional Support Battalion, Massachusetts State Guard

Senior Member pending 2nd Lieutenant, Beverly Composite Squadron, Massachusetts Wing, U.S. Civil Air Patrol

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy M's suggestions are very sound whether it's the military or policing you want to go for. On policing what the interviwers look for is what they like to call '"well rounded" people! doesn't mean fat btw lol! Have to say both suggestions also look as they would be very interesting as well as useful. In these type of organisations you also tend to find good friends and a fair bit of fun as well as all the serious stuff! One should never too serious about life !!

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not really what you do with the time whether working, volunteering or backpacking, it more that you can show you can make decisions, have interacted with a wide range of people, travel is good as it shows independance, that sort of thing. Volunteering to work with a charity abroad cabnbe useful for the charity and for you as well as being good fun. It shows social awareness and that you can be practical as well. Just saying you want to help people is not enough, if you can demonstrate that you can put your money where your mouth is that's very acceptable.
Can I ask, when you say Spanish is that what we'd know as European Spanish (Castilian) or South American Spanish?

South American. And I know, I was trying to be funny.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cannot anything more than what has already posted..Military is an excellent leg up to LE..As far as speaking Spanish goes there were a couple of departments I heard of where that skill was HIGHLY DESIRABLE and every effort was undertaken to get that person in..

Many departments, including my city, give a higher salary to bilingual officers. Spanish for preference, but in a larger city korean, russian, french, japanese and chinese have big demand, too. If you want to go federal, Arabic is a good choice....

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are other options you can try right now without having to wait, , if you like, that will give you a feel on whether long term military service is right for you:

*28 states have a non-federalized, volunteer State Guard. You aren't paid, and you drill about one weekend a month, in my particular guard you have to maintain 50% attenddance to stay in good standing and 70% to get promoted plus FEMA courses on your own time.

I might check that out as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should say that one of the biggest assets a police officer or serviceman can have is a sense of humour!! Of course it's usually a fairly warped one in both cases lol!

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many departments, including my city, give a higher salary to bilingual officers. Spanish for preference, but in a larger city korean, russian, french, japanese and chinese have big demand, too. If you want to go federal, Arabic is a good choice....

Like I said, English and Spanish are the only major languases in my area. Next is Vietnamese (spoken by like 1% of the cities population).

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I should say that one of the biggest assets a police officer or serviceman can have is a sense of humour!! Of course it's usually a fairly warped one in both cases lol!

Geuss I'm set in that respect. It's almost a requirement of being moderartly-highly ranked in Cuong Nhu. The more we like you, the more we pick on you.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Would 3rd degree misdemeanor assault hold me back? It was a juvinile offense, if that matters at all.
If you look at alot of officers of today....yesterday alot of them were troubled teens that turned their life around...givin' another chance that worked well for them and their community...

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
YAY! I might have a chance!

I was thinking, would being certified in First Aid, CPR, and so on get me "points" towards being hired? IE, look good on an application, in a similar way as Military service?

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats good for me. I'm already pretty much First Aid Certified. I have taken the actual test and passed, but the tester was my JROTC instructor, and thus not qualified to hand out such qualifications. Are there any other emergency skills (like First Aid) that would be of equal use?

Latest Discussions