Olympic Dream is it real or just plain insanity!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or whether or not one has a successful career in blues, country, pop, rock, jazz, folk, metal, Broadway musicals, soul, or opera. Certain vocal characteristics are very desirable in some of these genres but not so much in others.

The degree of training and the type of training also differs.

Likewise, certain body types tend to lend themselves better to certain physical activities. Mine, for example, is not a desirable body type for sumo, NFL football, or horse racing.

Daniel
No this is not the case. Football has all shapes and sizes. You may not be a nose tackle but you may fit at the position of Wide Receiver. Even in Sumo you have all shapes and sizes. No you would not be a heavy weight but that is not all there is in Sumo. Actually Sumo has changed and more fit and muscled types are getting into the sport and winning over the same weight fat guys.

TKD in not limited to one size fits all. That is why there are different weight categories.

Even in horse racing. It just happens that that sport has a one size is best. But many sports don't. Plus in horse racing it is the horse, the jockey is just there to guide the thing and weight as less a possible for the horse. If the horse could get around the track and run full out without being whiped the jockey would not be needed.

Again I see this as limited thinking. TKD and most sports have categories that make the sport all inclusive. Even basketball. You don't have to be 7 foot tall to play the sport. Only the centers have to. There are point guards and shooting guards that can be as short as 5'5" Spud, Muggsy, and some others have proven that.

Also the singing analogy has been debunked by Daniel as well. Because if you cannot sing by standards of one genera then there are others. Can sing country then sing pop. Can't sing pop then rap. Can't rap the sing folk. You can still be successful in singing even if you can't sing.

Most singers today can really sing. Studios do wonders with your voice. And when on tour, anyone can sing to a track that over shadows your voice. Smoke and mirrors but it works. Millie Vanillie showed us that.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No this is not the case. Football has all shapes and sizes. You may not be a nose tackle but you may fit at the position of Wide Receiver. Even in Sumo you have all shapes and sizes. No you would not be a heavy weight but that is not all there is in Sumo. Actually Sumo has changed and more fit and muscled types are getting into the sport and winning over the same weight fat guys.

TKD in not limited to one size fits all. That is why there are different weight categories.

Even in horse racing. It just happens that that sport has a one size is best. But many sports don't. Plus in horse racing it is the horse, the jockey is just there to guide the thing and weight as less a possible for the horse. If the horse could get around the track and run full out without being whiped the jockey would not be needed.

Again I see this as limited thinking. TKD and most sports have categories that make the sport all inclusive. Even basketball. You don't have to be 7 foot tall to play the sport. Only the centers have to. There are point guards and shooting guards that can be as short as 5'5" Spud, Muggsy, and some others have proven that.
Absolutely agree. Just to clarify my post, when I say that certain body types lend themselves to given endeavors, I do not mean to say that they are required or that it is impossible for those with either different body types or different physical characteristics to excel.

As far as sumo goes, how about tall slim lanky guys?:D

Daniel

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Making the olympics through TKD in the usa? Based on the number of slots available, the politics, etc., it may be easier to switch sports. Watching the olympics there are plenty of other sports that are allowed to take bigger groups -- not the limited 2 + 2 that we have. Not fair buts its what we are left with being one of the latest additions.

Winning at such a level would be a great "wow" factor but you know what, it is all about trying and learning what it takes in life. If you never try because you are afraid of losing -- well then just crawl in that hole because everything in life is a test – school, work, relationships. If you don’t try you have guaranteed failure. If you try but don’t succeed to your expected level – what mistakes, if any, did you make? What can be done to improve your weak points, improve you score, etc.

For me TKD and having friends or family compete, its about supporting the ones who participate -- for them knowing that we will do our part, so focus on your part. It’s a learning experience and hopefully the kids who do it will learn something useful for those times when we are not there with them or eventually gone. The Olympics would be nice but you only think of that fool from cuba to remember that its not a measure of everything.
Well it may not be all about the Olympics. The World Championships is actually a higher accolade than the Olympics. All weight catagories are included and more athletes compete. Making it harder to win than the Olympics as you really have to fight all of the best, not just the so called top few. I say strive for the World Championships in your weight and let the Olympics work itself out.

Win Worlds and you may get picked for the Olympics. They don't pick the best fighter for the Olympics. They pick the fighter with the best chance to win. So they may pick you based on a weaker bracket in your division for the Olympics, that's all. Not that you are the best fighter.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. Just to clarify my post, when I say that certain body types lend themselves to given endeavors, I do not mean to say that they are required or that it is impossible for those with either different body types or different physical characteristics to excel.

As far as sumo goes, how about tall slim lanky guys?:D

Daniel
You got me there.:asian:

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im just curious (because I know nothing about olmpic style tkd) regarding the politics etc. If you beat everyone you come up against wouldnt you have to make the team or do the referees/umpires score the match so the favourite wins in qualifying? Id like to think that if my kid had never lost a tkd fight and proceeded to beat anyone they put him against then he would have to make the team no different from a tennis tournament, if you win all your games you win the comp. For instance, if I beat steven lopez in qualifying (not that that would ever happen) would they just pick him anyway because of his name? And if so, why have qualifying?

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Im just curious (because I know nothing about olmpic style tkd) regarding the politics etc. If you beat everyone you come up against wouldnt you have to make the team or do the referees/umpires score the match so the favourite wins in qualifying? Id like to think that if my kid had never lost a tkd fight and proceeded to beat anyone they put him against then he would have to make the team no different from a tennis tournament, if you win all your games you win the comp. For instance, if I beat steven lopez in qualifying (not that that would ever happen) would they just pick him anyway because of his name? And if so, why have qualifying?

It is vary dangerous to comment on a public forum in any detail about such matters.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is vary dangerous to comment on a public forum in any detail about such matters.
No worries, I understand where you are coming from. I coach junior sports and I am well aware of the politics. Unfortunately for me I coach team sports so even if a player is light years ahead of the others he could still be left out because they may be looking for a certain team structure and that player may not fit that structure. I would have thought in an individual sport it would be a lot easier because if no one can beat you then it seems obvious that you make the team.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know what its like to compete in the martial arts, or to do TKD, or even try for the Olympics. I do, however, know what it is like to be a talented teenager...my pursuit was music instead of MA. We are not robbed of anything by hours of practice. It is what we love to do. We aren't robbed of anything by not being with our school friends...going out to perform means we make new ones, or see friends we wouldn't normally see except when getting together to do our art. We aren't robbed by pressure or competition. The hours of practice should stand as a pretty good statement that we are driven people.

We get robbed from parents that want us to do what they (as parents) should be doing for themselves. The odds of financial success in the arts are worse than junk bonds. To push a teen in to the arts expecting that will pay your retirement or offer up a free ride through to college is irresponsible. What's that old office joke? "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Its also not responsible to think that arts or athletics will immunize a teen from bad judgment or trouble. The arts gives us an invaluable identity outside of school and home that makes it far easier to stay away from ordinary trouble....but when trouble finds us, it carries a flavor that adds to the temptation. I'd wager that an athlete's temptation to use diuretics to cut weight or other drugs enhance performance is about equal to a musicians temptation to take stimulants to stay up late and practice or other drugs to open one's mind to a new experience, like so many famous songwriters did.

Its natural for an enthusiastic teen to believe in "Rocky" and "Flashdance" stories of artistic pursuits being the answer that's all that's needed in your life. But its a job of the parents to make sure the teen is getting a proper education (without their grades slipping) and making sure they have a fallback plan that they can pursue....even if a bad injury or freak accident takes part of their physical talent away from them.

Pursuing the arts is kind of like voluntarily getting on a plane, and knowing that just about everyone on that plane is going to be pushed out the door...except the last person, who is going to win a big cash prize. Is it wise to skimp on skydiving classes? Is it wise to skimp on the quality of one's parachute? Is it wise to depend on being the lucky person that wins the cash prize?

For a talented teen...their academics are their skydiving classes and the fallback plan is the quality of their parachute. The ones that skimp on their classes can flounder dangerously in the air. The ones that skimp on the quality of their parachute may know what they have to do, but don't have the resources to do it. Luck is no substitute for preparation.

But the ones that are prepared? If they are prepared, then there is little difference between the students that are trying seriously for the prize, and the students that know they may not win the prize but are getting on board anyway. They won't be immune to turbulence, but they will have the skills to float as gracefully as they can to whatever their destination will be. Those skills will last a lifetime....with or without the gold medal, the record contract, or that big Hollywood deal. :)

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Also the singing analogy has been debunked by Daniel as well. Because if you cannot sing by standards of one genera then there are others. Can sing country then sing pop. Can't sing pop then rap. Can't rap the sing folk. You can still be successful in singing even if you can't sing.

Most singers today can really sing. Studios do wonders with your voice. And when on tour, anyone can sing to a track that over shadows your voice. Smoke and mirrors but it works. Millie Vanillie showed us that.

Sooooo, you have ridden a fit and tallented race horse on an open track? Nope, no skill needed there. :shrug:

Lori

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sooooo, you have ridden a fit and tallented race horse on an open track? Nope, no skill needed there. :shrug:

Lori
I've ridden horses. These light small people have less mass and are suited for the job, yes. However the horse still does the work not the person. Yes they have to be able to stay on the power fit and talented race horse, but that fit and talented race horse still is the one they workout, inject the steroids into, and train to run. Not the jockey.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know Arlene Limas I have been to Spain and Holland with her on AAU trips. She is a great inspiration to my daughter. If you hear her story and road to Olympic Gold you know that she had to get over many hurdles just to compete.

She knows my daughter and has expressed the she has the ability/ desire to make it.

Arlene said that you have to have the desire to not let anything get in the way!!! Arlene had to battle in the courts not just the ring!!!

Didn't have to read the book to know the story. I am from Chicago and was familiar with the Martial Art scene she was competing before sh was in TKD, and was a aware of what she was going thru as it was happening. As far as I was concerned the obstacles placed in her path was just more typical BS from the powers that be at the time.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
.______ sing ________ rap. .

These two words do not belong in the same sentance.

"We can't sing and we call rap;
You may think this is music but it's really cr*p"

See, that's how it got the name. Someone heard it and said it's the C word and the other poor shmo misunderstood and dropped the C.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Actulay I think the analogy prevails. It's more like your body makeup may not fit TKD at the elite level, but it may fit something else. An abundance of slow twitc fibers fits slow power based activities.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well it may not be all about the Olympics. The World Championships is actually a higher accolade than the Olympics. All weight catagories are included and more athletes compete. Making it harder to win than the Olympics as you really have to fight all of the best, not just the so called top few. I say strive for the World Championships in your weight and let the Olympics work itself out.

Win Worlds and you may get picked for the Olympics. They don't pick the best fighter for the Olympics. They pick the fighter with the best chance to win. So they may pick you based on a weaker bracket in your division for the Olympics, that's all. Not that you are the best fighter.
Agreed, but making it to the world championships does not enable you to 'make it' professionally. The olympics can net you the potential for much greater opportunity. And like mineral wealth, it is perceived as more valuable because it is less plentiful: fewer seats and only happens once every four years.

But aside from that, my point was that there is no pro league. You cannot 'make it' as a taekwondoist and earn a living as you can in football, baseball, basketball, or golf. Not unless you have some kind of sponsorship or go and open your school.

Daniel

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Didn't have to read the book to know the story. I am from Chicago and was familiar with the Martial Art scene she was competing before sh was in TKD, and was a aware of what she was going thru as it was happening. As far as I was concerned the obstacles placed in her path was just more typical BS from the powers that be at the time.

Lots of BS!!! Allot was going on in Chicago TKD during that time!!!!Some great!!! Some really bad!!!! A Master Landed in Jail for some pretty bad transgressions.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar(not the basketball player). The TKD trainer!!!!!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actulay I think the analogy prevails. It's more like your body makeup may not fit TKD at the elite level, but it may fit something else. An abundance of slow twitc fibers fits slow power based activities.
I have to disagree. if you have superior footwork and timing you can over come someone with more fast twitch muscle fibers. Most times speed is an illusion. I have seen some awesome fighters that many thought were fast but in reality it was all about footwork and timing.

Fast as lightning and bad footwork = telegraphed moves, which = bad timing.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
These two words do not belong in the same sentance.

"We can't sing and we call rap;
You may think this is music but it's really cr*p"

See, that's how it got the name. Someone heard it and said it's the C word and the other poor shmo misunderstood and dropped the C.
All subjective. To you yes. To others no.

Latest Discussions