long range/midle range/close quarters

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Giving my experience in TKD (the most compared with other MA) I rather prefer if need it to fight in long range using the feet to the lower part of the body. I don't feel confortable and even frigthen in CQB cause my grapling and throwing techs are poor.

What would be your confort zone?

Don't know right now but think I can benefit from taking some judo lessons cause I want to learn how to take an oponent down and perhaps finishing him there.

In some place I herd that almost all fights end in the floor.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Giving my experience in TKD (the most compared with other MA) I rather prefer if need it to fight in long range using the feet to the lower part of the body. I don't feel confortable and even frigthen in CQB cause my grapling and throwing techs are poor."

What do you consider long range? In my opinion, if you're close enough to kick someone in the leg or knee effectively without entering movement, you're actually in medium to short range already. After all, leg kicks are made at an angle, so your full leg length cannot come into play - this makes a difference in the distance from your opponent where the technique is a useful one.

"What would be your confort zone?"

It shouldn't matter. People from striking systems like TKD need to be able to hit hard with precision from the short, medium, and long ranges. You don't have to be a grappling expert who loves to roll around on the floor, but you do need to be able to use your knees and elbows and other short strikes AND BLOCKS effectively.

"Don't know right now but think I can benefit from taking some judo lessons cause I want to learn how to take an oponent down and perhaps finishing him there."

Not a bad idea, but if you're not comfortable fighting from a close range with the existing techniques you learned already from TKD, I would suggest that might be a good place to look at first before taking on judo.

"In some place I herd that almost all fights end in the floor."

This came from a study made of police arrests, I believe. Naturally, the police need to take a suspect to the ground in order to restrain and handcuff him. I suspect the # of person-to-person fights end with a much lower percentage of going to the ground.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Giving my experience in TKD (the most compared with other MA) I rather prefer if need it to fight in long range using the feet to the lower part of the body. I don't feel confortable and even frigthen in CQB cause my grapling and throwing techs are poor.

What would be your confort zone?

Don't know right now but think I can benefit from taking some judo lessons cause I want to learn how to take an oponent down and perhaps finishing him there.

In some place I herd that almost all fights end in the floor.

Manny

Judo is a great sport and was my first MA activity in 1971. But, as a sport it operates within narrow parameters. Many accomplished Judoka may also have a bacground in those things that are technicaly illegal in Judo but part of the regularcurriculum in Ju Jitsu.

I would suggest you shop around for a good Ju Jitsu school.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
People from striking systems like TKD need to be able to hit hard with precision from the short, medium, and long ranges.[/b] You don't have to be a grappling expert who loves to roll around on the floor, but you do need to be able to use your knees and elbows and other short strikes AND BLOCKS effectively.
This is great advice. We have all the techniques, we just have to shorten them and learn how to generate power from this close in situation. :asian:

rlp271

Orange Belt
Reaction score
With tons of practice, you'd be surprised how close someone can get with you still able to kick them.

Example: watch what top level female competitors do from the clinch in Olympic TKD. Half of them don't try to slide out at an angle and do a round kick, they try to axe kick around and over the top from the clinch. Takes flexibility and practice, but I've seen it done.

Another good one is a turn out front kick to the bottom of the jaw from the clinch. I know we're talking more self defense here, but those are examples of what you can do from an extremely close distance, where most people would throw you.

You should be able to kick someone from close and medium ranges. You can practice close range kick in sparring. Move way out of your comfort zone and practice there until it becomes more comfortable. That's the only way to work on that set of skills, and it's something you can do in your school. If anything, see if someone of equal rank will work with you before or after classes.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then of course there is always the foot stomp, also the knee kick to their body, while returning your foot to the ground through their knee.

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, we were practice close quarters kicking. We would stand with our front foot touching the base of the bag, and then perform a jump back kick, but the jump was away from the bag, instead of up.

According to our instructor, the jump and spin motion are hard to hold on to, and gives you the opportunity to create distance. And get in a good powerful kick.

Now I just need to do it a few thousand more times.

Rick

rlp271

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, any slide should be more or less a drag. There should be zero upward motion with the head. Everything should stay the same level. If you go up at all, it's wasted motion. It takes quite a bit of practice, but it's fun to use, especially in sparring from the clinch, once you have it down.

Latest Discussions