Olympic Dreams are not dead

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Have any Olympic dreams be smashed? The answer is, not at all. Let’s be honest about a few things; are you or the athlete you speak of World Class? Have you or this athlete ever been on a US Team that has competed at a real World/International event, gone to Team Trials or placed Nationals? If so, how many times? If you can answer yes to any of these questions then you might be affected by our new selection procedure. If you cannot answer yes then my advice is get back to training for your dream and follow the path; win at a qualifier, win at nationals, train at a camp (prove yourself), win FIRST at team trials, be a US team member and compete at a world event and do well. Welcome to WORLD SPORT people.
Does it cost $10,000 or $20,000? Probably more when you add up time, food, travel, etc. To compete at this level you must understand that for the athlete this is a full time job, not just a hobby. Not many individuals have what it takes to pursue this endeavor and that is OK. If you think that you can just walk on to a real US Team, think again. Would you want it to be easy? We are selecting the best possible person, physically and MENTALLY able to perform in the big show.
As for our coaches; although you may not look any different from them while you sit in the chair and regardless of what you might think of them personally they have experiences beyond most of us. They can answer yes to my opening questions and that gives them a very important perspective on high level competition. Basic question…If you have never been a World Class athlete then can you really help me get there? It can happen but finding someone who has this experience can increase my odds.
The selection procedure is also under scrutiny now because it is different. My response to that is simple; do some real research into how MANY other sports select their US Team this way. You have to remember what is going on here. If you think that politics has nothing to do with World Sport then you need to look into our other Olympic sports (Gymnastics for example) and you will see our problems are nothing compared to theirs.
If you do not like any of this then the answer is simple, you do not have to do it. If you have a dream then set some REAL goals to achieve it. ANY taekwondo athlete can win at nationals; nothing is stopping you from that. Try getting to that level first then you can tackle that next hurdle.

ron

p.s. Never lose that dream Zachary!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The item of the money is not if you are paying for your travel or your expenses to be at a tournament. This is a given if you do any sport of this nature. What is in question is if people will be forced to go to these "camps" in order to get a gold star by their name when it comes time to select a team. Are team selections being based on who is the best fighter or who goes to the camps and other extra curricular activities that puts money in the back pockets of the selectors?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
MUSTKD - First off they are doing away with team trials, so scratch that off your list. Second off the top coaches won't pick you based off your experience alone. They only want to pick who they know or take from you your fighter if they know them.

There will be no way of proving yourself in a fight off because they do not want that. They do not want you to fight their fighters anymore because their fighters are losing and they are blaming the losses on the judges, not the fact that there are always better fighters.

Once you understand this then you will see that what you stated is not true. They want you to pay 10 to 20K to go to their camp and then after that they will pick you to train and maybe take so you will be their fighter, only after you pay. This is not fair by any means.

As for coaching, it does not take anything special. I have Jean and Jaun both be out coached at many tournaments. They are just like anyother coach in this game. To make them the kings of the mountain with know way of being aloud near the mountain to knock them off is also not fair. How do you think some of these up and coming fighters beat their fighters, with inept coaching? I think not.

You are wrong my friend and things have to change and change soon.

Peace,

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Southwick Zachary is still training and he is very much still believing he can make it one day. I on the other hand am the one frustrated to the point that it appears to look like the USAT is only looking at those athletes that they want and forgetting about the process. Zachary went to Colorado Springs a few years ago for a fight off to make the Junior team at the age of 12 and did good enought o be recognized by Gregg Tubbs and Patierce Remack and Barbera Kunkle and Jason Poos. He was able to train with the AAU team when the came to Irving a few months ago. He has some talent but I do not see where I need to play a game to get him on a team, I believe a fight off to make the team is the best scenenio and not letting the USA two coaches pick. I understand about politics and *** kissing but lets be honest Jaun will pick from his people those that follow him Jean knows Zachary and has helped on occasions but for the most part I am his teacher and I am the one training him day in and day out. Why do I need to pay Jaun or Jean so Zachary will have a chance, you do know that the process is strickly up to the coaches of the team and not up to the fighters anymore, right? You also relize the referees was about to walk out over this in Austin, you also know the USAT will not even discuse this with anybody? All I want is a fair chance for those athletes that have that dream. Remember we all have dreams and sometimes they come true but for the most part they do not.

In closing Zachary says hello and hope to go to Michigan States when he graduates and be under your guidence, I too would love for that to happen. Zachary already has told the counslerat school that he is going the MSU, maybe this year we can make it up there to see you. Zachary is about 5'9" and wieghs about 130 lbs. He is growing everyday and training like there is no tomorrow.

Best to you
Terry Stoker

OP
MSUTKD

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The camps are designed for the athlete to prepare for World Class competition; MOST Olympic sports work this way. To get on a US Taekwondo Team costs a fraction of what it takes to get on a US Gymnastics team, equestrian team, soccer team, etc. Just pull out your Google-Fu and look at all of the REQUIRED developmental sports camps other US athletes must attend to be considered for team selection.

OP
MSUTKD

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
MUSTKD - First off they are doing away with team trials, so scratch that off your list.

Not all US sports have a team trial, nor are they required too.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not all US sports have a team trial, nor are they required too.
True but most do take the best athletes by some sort of face of in competition. I understand the camps and they most likely are needed but the selection process still needs to be made by competition, not just someone picking who they want.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
If there was a Competitive Poomsae camp that put out by World Class coach, you betcha I'll be there. I would take 1 week of unpaid from work, tell my husband to take care of the kids, and I am off to that camp.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to fight for team Jamaica and train with the bobsledding team. :uhyeah:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
If there was a Competitive Poomsae camp that put out by World Class coach, you betcha I'll be there. I would take 1 week of unpaid from work, tell my husband to take care of the kids, and I am off to that camp.
Then when those coaches don't pick you cause they only want competitors that they know and have coached before, make sure you come back and let us know that you realize what a conflict of interest means.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean "they are doing away with team trials". One of my students just took bronze in Austin (World Class) and was told he qualifies for 2010 team trials in January at OTC Colorado. He also gets a shot at TT for the next Pan Am. You need to get facts straight

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What do you mean "they are doing away with team trials". One of my students just took bronze in Austin (World Class) and was told he qualifies for 2010 team trials in January at OTC Colorado. He also gets a shot at TT for the next Pan Am. You need to get facts straight

You need to get the fact straight, they are getting rid of team trails and rplacing them with coaches making that decisssion.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok, as I am reading a memo from USAT doc. that was in the coach goody bag given to me when I pick up my coach credential. It stated:

OPPORTUNITY ABOUNDS FOR THE USAT ATHLETES IN 2009 AND BEYOND:

2009 AND 2010 JUNIORS:

1. The top four from the world class BB division in this year's JOs will fight off at a team trial in Colorado Springs in late August. That tema will compete in the 2009 PATU Junior Championship to take place in San Salvador, El Savador on November 19-22.

2. November 2009 will bring a Youth Olympic Games (YOG) qualifying tournament in Colorado Springs to be held in conjunciton with the Rocky Mountain Open. the 6 YOG qualifying winners will go to Tijuana in February 2010 to attempt to qualify the spots and represent the USA a the inaugural YOG in Singapore in September 2010.

3. December 2010 will feature a WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP qualifying event followed by a fight-off in Colorado Spring in January 2010. The twenty winners will represent the USA at the World Junior Championship in Tihuana, Mexico in February 2010.

4. A second 2010 Junior National Team will be selected at the 2010 Junior Olympic in Orlando next July and will represent USAT at an unknown event or camp to be determined. The 2010 exchange in Oklahoma City was a huge success.

2009 and 2010: SENIORS

1. The 2009 Senior National semi-finalists will join 2009 team members and 8 wild cards in a selection camp in January 2010. Medalists from October 2009 World Championship will not required to have attend the 2010 team camp. The reason for this is that the coaches want to look at different athletes in those weight classes.

We already know that they are at the top of their games. 2010 is a developmental year that we used to more closely examine up and coming athletes who are the future stars of USAT.

There will be both a 2010 PATU Championship in Equador and another event or foreign exchange for the senior team. Both will be immportant developmental tools as we prepare for the 2011 World Championship and 2012 London Olympics.

2. The new U-24 team will be selected in August 2009 and will attend an event or foreign exchange training opportunity in November 2009. We will look to make this team a permanent feature for USAT so we have a vehicle for those 16 athletes who have aged out of Juniors that are on the cusp of making the Senior National Team.

3. In late 2010 or early 2011 there will be Pan Am Games qualifying event. The next Pan Am Games will take place in October 2011 in Guadalajara, Mexico. We will again try and qualify 8 spots for this multi-sport event.

SO DON'T SIT ON THE SIDELINES. FIGHT YOUR WAY TO THE TOP.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
As I read this memo, I see it is a strategy or a new process or if you see it as a NEW DEVELOPMENTAL PROGRAM to prepared the kids that has been "qualifying and fight off" in the Junior division to the 2012 Olympic year.

It seems that the Juniors has plenty of fight offs to be in the US team and compete internationally.

Hopefully this little facts will explains more of what USTA has in mind for the BEST OF THE ATHLETES and not in the coaches pocket books, power..etc.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just wait and see. They have not announced anything yet. Hopefully there will be enough pressure to keep things as it should be, but as of now they have different plans.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, as I am reading a memo from USAT doc. that was in the coach goody bag given to me when I pick up my coach credential. It stated:

OPPORTUNITY ABOUNDS FOR THE USAT ATHLETES IN 2009 AND BEYOND:

2009 AND 2010 JUNIORS:

1. The top four from the world class BB division in this year's JOs will fight off at a team trial in Colorado Springs in late August. That tema will compete in the 2009 PATU Junior Championship to take place in San Salvador, El Savador on November 19-22.

2. November 2009 will bring a Youth Olympic Games (YOG) qualifying tournament in Colorado Springs to be held in conjunciton with the Rocky Mountain Open. the 6 YOG qualifying winners will go to Tijuana in February 2010 to attempt to qualify the spots and represent the USA a the inaugural YOG in Singapore in September 2010.

3. December 2010 will feature a WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP qualifying event followed by a fight-off in Colorado Spring in January 2010. The twenty winners will represent the USA at the World Junior Championship in Tihuana, Mexico in February 2010.

4. A second 2010 Junior National Team will be selected at the 2010 Junior Olympic in Orlando next July and will represent USAT at an unknown event or camp to be determined. The 2010 exchange in Oklahoma City was a huge success.

2009 and 2010: SENIORS

1. The 2009 Senior National semi-finalists will join 2009 team members and 8 wild cards in a selection camp in January 2010. Medalists from October 2009 World Championship will not required to have attend the 2010 team camp. The reason for this is that the coaches want to look at different athletes in those weight classes.

We already know that they are at the top of their games. 2010 is a developmental year that we used to more closely examine up and coming athletes who are the future stars of USAT.

There will be both a 2010 PATU Championship in Equador and another event or foreign exchange for the senior team. Both will be immportant developmental tools as we prepare for the 2011 World Championship and 2012 London Olympics.

2. The new U-24 team will be selected in August 2009 and will attend an event or foreign exchange training opportunity in November 2009. We will look to make this team a permanent feature for USAT so we have a vehicle for those 16 athletes who have aged out of Juniors that are on the cusp of making the Senior National Team.

3. In late 2010 or early 2011 there will be Pan Am Games qualifying event. The next Pan Am Games will take place in October 2011 in Guadalajara, Mexico. We will again try and qualify 8 spots for this multi-sport event.

SO DON'T SIT ON THE SIDELINES. FIGHT YOUR WAY TO THE TOP.
Like it has been stated the process is not the problem but who is making the decision during the process. It is not as cut and dry as you think, and this is a program for Jr. What about the Sr. that are not a part of this process. It is not as simple as fight your way to the top as you see it.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The top 4 world class finishers from senior nationals this year are
qualified to attend the National Team selection camp in Colorado Springs
in January/February 2010. The coaching staff (head coaches, assistants,
trainers, etc) will vote to decide which athletes are selected to the
national team to compete at the Pan Am Games in 2010.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The top 4 world class finishers from senior nationals this year are
qualified to attend the National Team selection camp in Colorado Springs
in January/February 2010. The coaching staff (head coaches, assistants,
trainers, etc) will vote to decide which athletes are selected to the
national team to compete at the Pan Am Games in 2010.
See, that is the issue. Why select this way? Most other sports have a competition and the winner goes. Swimming, Boxing, Track and Field, and so on. Only TKD now will have some selection process. Compete and may the best man win.

OP
MSUTKD

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
See, that is the issue. Why select this way? Most other sports have a competition and the winner goes. Swimming, Boxing, Track and Field, and so on. Only TKD now will have some selection process. Compete and may the best man win.

Wrong.

Latest Discussions