An Olympic NOBODY.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tez's thread Let's hear it for the oldies, on Nick Skelton (awesome, Nick!) prompted me to write this thread for anyone who appreciates Olympic competition.

Who is this?

original-7487441974f9f3354bba33308e8ed5c9.jpg

original-84ffa2552542feb949b721698651270c.jpg

Why, that's Kim Rhode. But you probably never heard of this person. Why? The American press doesn't really care about her. Because she's a woman, (we know that's bad) she shoots guns, (that's even worse) she's not petite like the gymnasts are, (shame on her,) she's never been involved in a scandal, and she's a Republican.(Oh, the horror)

But she won a Bronze Medal at the Rio games.....I know, not really that big a deal.
She also won a Gold Medal at the 2012 Olympics in London.
Then there was the time she won a Silver Medal at the 2008 Olympics in Bejing.
Of course that was after she won a Gold Medal in the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens.
Which was after she won a Bronze Medal in Sydney Australia in the 2000 Olympic Games.
Which was after she won a Gold Medal in the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta.

She's the only person, man or woman, to win Olympic Medals in six Summer Olympics in a row. (on five different continents).
I can't even wrap my mind around that.

1996 Olympics, Atlanta - Gold Medal
2000 Olympics, Sydney - Bronze Medal
2004 Olympics, Athens - Gold Medal
2008 Olympics, Bejing - Silver Medal
2012 Olympics, London - Gold Medal
2016 Olympics, Rio - Bronze Medal

An NBC story once noted that her medal record is arguably “far less impressive than, say, a gymnast or a swimmer” because shooting “requires fewer physical attributes.

Well, sure, see, winning Olympic medals is a piece of cake. Maybe I'll go do that on my day off.

Meet Kim Rhode, an Olympian.

Kim Rhode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We saw her win the Bronze, my husband likes his shooting and no, Olympic type shooting is not easy! Too often people like her are overlooked and only the 'sexy' events events are highlighted, especially if there's a photogenic personality involved.
GB won a bronze in the men's badminton doubles, not a 'sexy' sport sadly they were interviewed afterwards and said they weren't the most talented players going but they worked very hard to get where they are. That's an attitude that's worth cultivating among our youngsters, that to get where you want in life you work hard as the lady above has I know. :)
We had a chap who also won bronze in the shooting, he flew in, shot received his medal and flew back to the UK and was getting in the harvest the next day.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A whole bunch of Olympic nobodies.

images

And I am pretty sure Kurt furnley there is the most dominant guy in the sport.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until I read Ms. Rhode's wiki page, I would have said that those two words in a row were an oxymoron... but now I'm just embarrassed. How is it possible that we all don't know who Kim, and the other folks noted above, is/are?

Oh yeah, O/P correct.

But I personally don't know anyone who has ever even known anyone who has a family member win an Olympic medal that I'm aware of....

Hard to get, Olympic medals of any type.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wonder if we'd have heard about her if she looked like Anna Kournikova? Or less supermodel looking like Kerri Walsh-Jennings?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh, come one guys. This kind of thing drives me nuts. FALSE: Media Ignore Kim Rhode's Sixth Olympic Medal

She wasn't ignored because she shoots guns or loves trump or is a republican. She wasn't ignored by the media at all.

She was ignored because you guys didn't read the articles that were written about her, probably because you (along with almost everyone else) could care less about skeet shooting as a spectator sport.

They even televised it. I watched about 5 minutes of it before I deleted it off my TiVo because it's incredibly boring to watch.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But I personally don't know anyone who has ever even known anyone who has a family member win an Olympic medal that I'm aware of....

Hard to get, Olympic medals of any type.
Friend of mine's dad won a gold medal at the 1936 games in Berlin. That's as close as I am, that I know of.

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, come one guys. This kind of thing drives me nuts. FALSE: Media Ignore Kim Rhode's Sixth Olympic Medal

She wasn't ignored because she shoots guns or loves trump or is a republican. She wasn't ignored by the media at all.

She was ignored because you guys didn't read the articles that were written about her, probably because you (along with almost everyone else) could care less about skeet shooting as a spectator sport.

They even televised it. I watched about 5 minutes of it before I deleted it off my TiVo because it's incredibly boring to watch.

I couldn't disagree with more. Not even if I tried. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

And yes. I did know about the tinfoil hat aspect of this article as it has been the latest propoganda piece.

I was wondering when that aspect would come up.

Latest Discussions