Olympic Dream is it real or just plain insanity!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is coming from my perspective as a parent. Anyone who dreams of winning a Gold Medal at the Olympics at some point in their career with be told that they are crazy for pursuing that dream and that it will never happen. When I go to Nationals and I see all the Competition and the Politics and how few people actually get to go to Olympics it seems crazy that I would invest the amount of $ that I do on such a long shot. My kids want to win a Gold Medal at the Olympics(No Doubt). They train 6 days a week from 2 -6 hours a day. They sacrifice their youth for this dream. I have told them that I would not do what they do and yet they still pursue it. The cost to me is $, for them their teenage years. Why do I allow them do it. Because as I see it, the benefit of working so hard and being so dedicated and sacrificing so much for an unknown and unlikely reward will in the end build the type of quality human being that will be successful in anything that they decide to pursue in life. Regardless, if they ever win that GOLD Medal.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
The lessons of the process and personal development toward a goal and learn how to change the process is priceless.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The lessons of the process and personal development toward a goal and learn how to change the process is priceless.

Thanks!!! I was wondering if my point would come across. The journey is the most important part. If you fail to meet your final destination but are able to look back and say that you did everything that you could to reach your goal. You will have gained much more than those who never aspire to greatness or those who are unwilling to sacrifice everything for an uncertain goal. Sacrifice for the unknown is what separates greatness from mediocrity. This is the lesson I am try to teach my kids. You must risk much to gain much!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is about the journey and it is also about not giving up on your dreams. It has always been a dream that has produce the most for anybody, if it was not for that we would all be a farmer still riding horses in some country beside here. Those that forged a head have made the dream possible for everybody in one way or another. Goriila let them keep going down the right path and see what type of young adults they will make.:asian:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you Tal. And even though I know it is a long shot. The lessons and habits built on this journey is one that will be carried on in to all that they do. Every time I see your kids and talk to them, them they are very well mannered and very polite. So to me that quality alone is worth it.

Plus if you were not spending time and money on this then it would be something else anyway. If we worried about the money and time then our kids would do nothing. How many kids do we see each day doing just that?

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
My goal in my TKD career was to win a gold medal at the National level. I mean, to fight a good fight with 2+ fighter in the division and win 1st place. Back in my 20s and 30s, it was to make top 4 so I can go Team Trial. I competed in Team Trial in 89, and that was my highest achievement then.

When I competed again in the last 3 years, I received Silver, and Bronzes. It was close but not Gold.

Until this year, after 25+ years of trying I finally win a Gold in sparring and had 2 great fights. I fought well, and enjoyed my fights.

So, I have achieved my goal and can say I can finally retired now....NOT! :)

My future goal is the US Poomsae Team, and boy do I have lots of competitions in my division.

Never give up, keep on trying for that goal.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
You only live once and its important while you're young to persue your dreams. Most dreams are a 'long shot' or they wouldnt be dreams. I would rather work my *** off and never quite get there rather than spending the rest of my life wondering what could have been if Id tried harder. I encourage my kids to work hard at anything they are passionate about because as you get older and the responsibilities become greater there is not always the time to persue your goals.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well everyone knows Zachary would like to be a part of the Olympics one day and I for one keep telling him to train and see what happens in a few years. The thing is who is anybody telling someone to forget and do something els, I know top athletes that when they was 12-17 they was average but then it all came together for them and that is one of the greatest feelings ever. Keep dreams alive and well and remember we all have been then done that with something in our lifes.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pursuing dreams is good, but realistic expectations are good too.

I would say the first issue is whether they are training enough. I remember speaking with Arlene Limas. Here regimine was more like 6-8 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Then you have the issue of physicality. No matter how hard you train, there are certain natural characteristics that will help the great become world champions. If you are 5'6' the NBA is not for you. If you are 6'8" being a professional jockey is not in the cards.

For TKD it would likely be having the right % of fast twitch muscle fibers aong with other attributes.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Earl you are right being the right person for the right sport is a choice, we have had spud Webb and others play Basketball when they are small and be a great player but was it so much they was great or they had that little something that made them better, say like determination. I have seen athlete with all the talent in the world but was simply lazy and then I have seen great workers with little talent over come the odds in make it. I have to keep telling myself only those that truely believe can ever make it to the top and training is one of the biggest things for all of them, they must eat, drink, and sleep whatever it is they want to be.

TKD_Father

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Spud Webb isn't the best example, he never won an NBA championship (He may not have even played in an NBA Championship).

Too many politics involved, not enough cohesion.

If it were in a flowchart form it would be

Are you in Sugarland Tx? --NO--> No Olympics for you
|
YES
|
V
Is your name Lopez? --NO--> No Olympics for you
|
YES
|
V
Good luck in the Olympics

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spud was use because he made it to the pro's, back then it was not about the Olympics but the pro's remember. In TKD we do not have a pro field so the Olympics would be the same for him.

Yes it is Sugarland or Florida with Moreno but thier are other options if people truely looked into it. But like alot of folks they walk around with blinders on.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

I would say the first issue is whether they are training enough. I remember speaking with Arlene Limas. Here regimine was more like 6-8 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Then you have the issue of physicality. No matter how hard you train, there are certain natural characteristics that will help the great become world champions. If you are 5'6' the NBA is not for you. If you are 6'8" being a professional jockey is not in the cards.

For TKD it would likely be having the right % of fast twitch muscle fibers aong with other attributes.
The thing is to let no one stand in your way. Cheyenne Lewis is a great example. I talk to her dad all the time and her story is incredible. She was with Robinsons TKD and was told that she did not have it. She was a kicking bag or shield holder for the so called ones that had it. She was not being trained as they told her she was to clumsy for and awkward for TKD. Well her dad did not take that and left Robinsons and trained her at home for awhile. He then found master Cruz and moved to Manila TKD and then to Givins TKD under Master Givins. She is now a World Champion (Jr.) and only 14 years old. People tried to crush her dream and told her early on that she did not have what it took. As a kid it would have been really easy for her to just let it be and could have still been there holding bags for someone else. But her dad did not let that happen and made sure he got her to the right people that did not have a limited or blind thinking.

If you want something then go get it. Hard work and dedication will go a long way. Regardless if you have the so called tools for the job or not. Tom Brady of the Patriots was told he did not have the tools to be an NFL QB either. Well, drafted in the 6th round (almost the last round) and 3 Super Bowls later, he is now mentioned with the all time greats.

Everyone has all the fast twitch muscle needed. It is not about the fastest in this sport. I see the fastest lose most often. Fast is not all you need. I say you have to be smart and have heart to make it in this sport. This is the one sport that I think anyone can do and at the top level if you have the right people helping you.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I know one thing and it is this, talent is great but being able to train and gain all the great qualities that comes from it is a life long journey. For every single person that does not make it will become better for trying. In closing I just wanted to say that some people do not like what I say and that is fine but remember this is a board to express ones true feelings about subject matter,

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everyone has all the fast twitch muscle needed. .

Everyone may have all the fast twitch muscle needed, the issue is whether or not everyone has all that is needed to be a world champion.

It's kind of like saying everyone can sing. It's far diiferent than everyone being able to sing something that people will want to spend money on.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Everyone may have all the fast twitch muscle needed, the issue is whether or not everyone has all that is needed to be a world champion.

It's kind of like saying everyone can sing. It's far different than everyone being able to sing something that people will want to spend money on.
Or whether or not one has a successful career in blues, country, pop, rock, jazz, folk, metal, Broadway musicals, soul, or opera. Certain vocal characteristics are very desirable in some of these genres but not so much in others.

The degree of training and the type of training also differs.

Likewise, certain body types tend to lend themselves better to certain physical activities. Mine, for example, is not a desirable body type for sumo, NFL football, or horse racing.

Daniel

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I know Arlene Limas I have been to Spain and Holland with her on AAU trips. She is a great inspiration to my daughter. If you hear her story and road to Olympic Gold you know that she had to get over many hurdles just to compete.

She knows my daughter and has expressed the she has the ability/ desire to make it.

Arlene said that you have to have the desire to not let anything get in the way!!! Arlene had to battle in the courts not just the ring!!!

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is coming from my perspective as a parent. Anyone who dreams of winning a Gold Medal at the Olympics at some point in their career with be told that they are crazy for pursuing that dream and that it will never happen. When I go to Nationals and I see all the Competition and the Politics and how few people actually get to go to Olympics it seems crazy that I would invest the amount of $ that I do on such a long shot. My kids want to win a Gold Medal at the Olympics(No Doubt). They train 6 days a week from 2 -6 hours a day. They sacrifice their youth for this dream. I have told them that I would not do what they do and yet they still pursue it. The cost to me is $, for them their teenage years. Why do I allow them do it. Because as I see it, the benefit of working so hard and being so dedicated and sacrificing so much for an unknown and unlikely reward will in the end build the type of quality human being that will be successful in anything that they decide to pursue in life. Regardless, if they ever win that GOLD Medal.

- One comes to be of just such stuff as that which ones mind is set – The Upanishads

- If you want something deep in your heart you can accomplish it, even if it seems impossible, even if the people around you tell you to your face that it’s impossible. Just by having the goal, you’re already a winner and well on your way up the inner mountain - Chuck Norris

- If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done. - Bruce Lee

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Making the olympics through TKD in the usa? Based on the number of slots available, the politics, etc., it may be easier to switch sports. Watching the olympics there are plenty of other sports that are allowed to take bigger groups -- not the limited 2 + 2 that we have. Not fair buts its what we are left with being one of the latest additions.

Winning at such a level would be a great "wow" factor but you know what, it is all about trying and learning what it takes in life. If you never try because you are afraid of losing -- well then just crawl in that hole because everything in life is a test – school, work, relationships. If you don’t try you have guaranteed failure. If you try but don’t succeed to your expected level – what mistakes, if any, did you make? What can be done to improve your weak points, improve you score, etc.

For me TKD and having friends or family compete, its about supporting the ones who participate -- for them knowing that we will do our part, so focus on your part. It’s a learning experience and hopefully the kids who do it will learn something useful for those times when we are not there with them or eventually gone. The Olympics would be nice but you only think of that fool from cuba to remember that its not a measure of everything.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Spud Webb isn't the best example, he never won an NBA championship (He may not have even played in an NBA Championship).
Example of 'what?' is the operative question. I think that the point was that simply being physically unlikely should not prevent someone from going after their dreams. Spud Webb won the NBA Slam Dunk contest in 1986, no mean feat when one if 5'7". Dunking the ball in the basket is a contest where height offers a major advantage.

Making an NBA pro team at 5'7" is also impressive given that the average height is around 6'7", which makes me, at 6'4", a little on the short side.

I think that Terry's point was along the lines of 'it aint the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog'.

Anyone who makes it to the olympics has worked their backside off. That is a given. Chances are, all are immensely gifted with a natural talent, which is usually what grabs the attention of coaches early on. But talent can only take you so far and if everyone is working hard, there are other qualities that can come into play.

Not to mention that I know immensely talented people (outside of TKD) who are unable to apply themselves in the necessary way to take any advantage of their ability and some very untalented people who's hard work, dedication and determination took them far further than they ever thought possible.

Too many politics involved, not enough cohesion.

If it were in a flowchart form it would be

Are you in Sugarland Tx? --NO--> No Olympics for you
|
YES
|
V
Is your name Lopez? --NO--> No Olympics for you
|
YES
|
V
Good luck in the Olympics
Is it really that bad? Not debating you. I mean, maybe it is. I don't know. I'd rather hope that it isn't.

I kind of see the olympics and taekwondo as a bit of a bottleneck, given that there are fewer seats on the olympic team than on even one pro sports team. There are likely more people equal to or better than the Lopez family than there are available seats and I think that it is a given that there is a strong political element in addition to talent, skill, and determination, to getting your athletes on the team.

With no 'pro' league as one has in the NBA, NFL, or boxing, the olympics it. On the other hand, one can have a solid and perhaps long career in pro sports, even without playing for a championship team, making pretty good money to boot. Certainly more than the average TKD school owner, the only real 'professional' career for a taekwondoist with any viability at this point in time.

Daniel

Latest Discussions