Nicknames in Martial Arts

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kevin "Superkick" McClinton, my late kickboxing trainer was great at giving ring names & nick names. He called me "The Iceman" after Jean Yves Theriault, the Candaian kickboxing legend. Sadly, it was because he said I looked a bit like him, not cuz I fought like him.:ultracool

As Kevin's brain tumor worsend, he would call everyone "Head" (Short for Knuclehead). He called one very quiet, but very powerful fighter "Quiet Riot." (Which was odd, cuz this guy had never heard of the band)

My favorite was when he was explaining something to one teen student by saying, "Let me tell you something, Grass Smoker." Several of us nearly fell over laughing so hard.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Up until a few years ago, everywhere I trained at (after my first Shotokan dojo), I was called "unorthodox" in some way, shape, or another, no matter how I tried to blend in, since I had been training at various schools in different styles.

Some of my old teachers knew each other quite well, and would sometimes say "Ah, I see Sensei "X's" influence on you," or "I see Shihan "Y's" influence on you!"

Other than that, no real nicknames. Although recently, when I put a sign-up sheet on a table (trying to get a list of names of people who were going to be part of the demonstration), I did see that one rather bold kid had written on the sheet "Sensei Ron is Atilla the Hun!"

The next day, when I asked the class in a pleasant tone "So, which one of you wrote that most interesting message on the sheet yesterday?"

One kid who tends to take a bit of pride in being a troublemaker said "Oh, I did that!" When I told him what it had said, all of the color drained from his face as he started stamming "M.m.m.ee? NO! I didn't write it! Uh..."

Either he's an excellent actor, or he is honestly telling the truth. I tend to think the latter, since it looked way too genuine of a shock to be a fake.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I first started my uncle used to call me Weed Hoppah all the time. My teacher however used to call me Dr. Duck on account of my constant faliure to align my legs with the direction I was going.
Sean

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to graff when i was younger and used the name (")din since I was fond of Norse mythology and like final fantasy.

As for fighting wise, im known as 'chinduster'.......or Iv people are taking the micky its 'pretty boy''.....not so menacing.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of my old kung fu brothers gave me the nickname (it stuck) of "Sunshine".

We were driving to Lauderdale to hang out with a friend of ours & I was in a particularly foul mood as we left ATL, he was smashed on SoCo & Cherry Coke and said...

"I'm calling you Sunshine... The morning star of bitterness"

We laughed hard & I got over my ill mood.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stupid.

Hey, you.

Dumb...well,...

But really, since the service, my last name has been my nickname. Only person who ever called me by my first name was my mother, RIP.

Motz

White Belt
Reaction score
Not so much a nickname, but...

Since I only recently took up Ninjutsu (a couple of months back, did a few years of Judo when I was younger), the teacher has yet to learn my name. As such, my friends who've been there a year or two longer have taken to calling me Frederique instead of Mike in the hope that he'll pick it up and have it stick :lol:

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
no nicknames for me, although a couple of my peers use those sort of generics tags like 'killer' and 'hero' at my ... sort of the same way that, to some people, every boy under 8 years old is 'buddy' and every boy 8-12 is 'big guy'. some of my friends cal me 'mal' or 'captain' whenever i'm being particularly autocratic or stubborn -- but that's more of an in joke than a nickname.

my child students often get nicknames from me. it's sort of a point of pride that i can remember all of my students names and nicknames, and a rite of passage for all my new students.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
A drummer in one of my bands called me "Joe Jitsu" a couple of times, which I thought was very clever in addition to being pretty dang funny.

Then I found out there was actually a cartoon character by that name some years back. Still funny, but so solly, no credit for crever.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mine is turtle. It came form having a wierd style of defense that everyone kept saying looked like a turtle.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Everybody here at one time or another had a nickname, care to share what that is or was?

Second question do you give nicknames to your students as well and if so what are some of them?

I've been nicknamed "The Machine". :) I've never been very fast, very strong, or particularly physically impressive. What I am is accurate, precise, and consistant - as described to me by the two teachers I had that gave me the nickname.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also - I've nicknamed two of my students so far. One is named Shrek, because he's 6'5, 320, and loves to talk in a scottish accent. The other is named Cicada - because he's too dam scrawny to be a Grasshopper. :)

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
My old GoJu instructor had a tradition of "naming" students when they passed their first belt test. The names usually revolved around some sort of animal. I already had my fourth degree in Kenpo when I started with him. He called my "Drunken Liger". I thought that the drunken part of the name was a little ironic considering the fact that I have never touched alcohol, but it was explained to me that it ment that I was able to adapt quickly or something like that. The Liger is a hybrid animal so that made sense because of the fact that I was blending my kenpo with his GoJu.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
My nickname is Fluffy....suprise! I have a Fat head, Elvis, Goofy Guber and a bunch of turkeys in my school.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
my master teacher often calls me "young one".

I have been with him since I was 14, and I can't remember when it first began. Usually it is something like "calm down young one" or "get moving young one!" Always in a "loving" way, but I know he is serious!

I asked him when I will be too old for "young one" and he said I will always be younger than him so never!!

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
During the 70's my students gave me a nick name from the old Happy Days series, Mr C.
During the early 90's my associates began referring to me by another name, I just now found out about it, hardcore.
Gets a person to wonder what other cute little nicknames have been assigned to you, then maybe you don't want to know.

Latest Discussions