Asian culture

T

TheBattousai

I love the asian culture. Mainly though, I enjoy the cultures of Japan, Taiwan, Okinawa, and China. The history of the culture is what I find to be the most fasinating personally though (other than the MA)...............and the cartoons.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If you were born in Hawaii you will find the Asian culture is involved with alot of all the other cultures here, KNOWN as MIX PLATE!

Hawaii is a blend of all cultures and the foods too. I love sashimi (raw fish), POKI - raw fish cut into cubes mix with Hawiian salt,green oinions,round oinions,and other things too,(chili peppers) if you like it hot. Poki can mean other foods mix the same way.

Even the customs are mix, many of the wedding have a mixture of different customs at wedding such as when the bride and groom dance people will come up and put money in their mouths to pass to each other,food will most likely be a Luau, and many different foods! The Hawaiian traditions Bride and groom dress Hawaiian formal style,(this is nice)

Just about everything in our everyday lives are a mix of culture that have been blended by time...............I'am all PAU.......(pau - means finish/done)...................Aloha

I wish I could explain more but if you ever get a chance to live here for a while.....you will understand...............Mahalo

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I started in MA (TSD), there was this Korean lady that grew up in America at my dojang. We became friends. She would tell me about the food, culture, ect. And laugh at us (jokingly) about butchering the Korean language LOL.

Anyways, she invited me to dinner at her house. Her mom who is old fashioned "off the boat" Korean and barely knew english (broken english). She cooked the meal. OMG!!! It was to die for! It was REAL Korean food. She made it all by hand from scratch. I fell in love with it. It tasted awsome, and I never had it before that.

Ever since then I would eat at the local Korean restaurant. Then I moved up here (NY), and found another one, but it's a little out of the way. So, I learned to cook Korean. It's not as good as my old friend's mom's cooking, but still good. I also like the culture. I learned a lot from my friend, and from some research.

But I have also gotten into Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, and Chinese food (My instructor now is Chinese). But the Chinese food in restaurants in this area IS Americanized. It's kinda crapy (greasy). But I learned to cook Japanese food pretty well, and a little of Thai and Vietnamese.

We have also collected asian stuff. We have a few asian "looking" peices of furniture, a Chinese scroll for good health, Korean Flag (for our future dojang) and various Japanese weapons.

I want our next house to "look" like it came from Japan (we are getting it built). That would be the coolest :)

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always been intrigued by Asian cultures, specifically Chinese and Japanese. The depth of their society and age of their philosophies are deep draws.

I have a few items of Asian style about the house, much to my wife's irritation; but, for the most part, they are of the trinket level. Little ceramic dragon, good luck $$ cat, paper lantern...that sort of thing. I do have one very nice litho by a Chinese artist whose name fails me at the moment.

I own many asian movies.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Floating Egg said:
Sushi is vinegared rice.
That is very interesting. Since I don't like raw fish and have not studied Japanese culture I used the term colloquially instead of technically. Sushi and it's preparation is quite an art. I actually don't like any seafood but it is such a huge part of the asian diet. I wish I enjoyed eating it because it's so healthy.

Thanks for the info Floating Egg, you peaked my curiousity about sushi because I want to be informed about such things.
I found this info on sushiFAQ.com

Technically, the word `sushi' refers to the rice, but colloquially, the term is used to describe a finger-size piece of raw fishor shellfish on a bed of vinegared rice.

Like OnlyAnEgg, I have some Asian decorating flairs in my home in the form of framed pictures and bamboo plants, etc. I find the style very attractive.

I am really interested in learning more, especially about Chinese culture. Again, if anyone knows of any good resources, please let me know what they are. An internet search has mainly turned up stats and only a little on cultural practices.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I recall, finding that site was a stroke of luck though dogged perseverance. Like page 12 of a yahoo search or something. Some days, I have the luxury of wading through searches that long :)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, If you were born in Hawaii you will find the Asian culture is involved with alot of all the other cultures here, KNOWN as MIX PLATE!

Hawaii is a blend of all cultures and the foods too. I love sashimi (raw fish), POKI - raw fish cut into cubes mix with Hawiian salt,green oinions,round oinions,and other things too,(chili peppers) if you like it hot. Poki can mean other foods mix the same way.

Even the customs are mix, many of the wedding have a mixture of different customs at wedding such as when the bride and groom dance people will come up and put money in their mouths to pass to each other,food will most likely be a Luau, and many different foods! The Hawaiian traditions Bride and groom dress Hawaiian formal style,(this is nice)

Just about everything in our everyday lives are a mix of culture that have been blended by time...............I'am all PAU.......(pau - means finish/done)...................Aloha

I wish I could explain more but if you ever get a chance to live here for a while.....you will understand...............Mahalo

That is facinating. You are so lucky to live in Hawaii and have the cultural history of being of Hawaiian descent. I've never been there but it has been my dream to visit someday. If my dream ever comes true I'll be sure to be in touch so you can help me know the best places to visit and maybe we could meet. I do know a bit about the meaning of the term Aloha. So to you, I say.....Aloha. :asian:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like things about American culture, but also dislike many things about American culture. It's the same with Asian culture. It is a huge, nebulous and vaired thing, and I don't think anyone can really make a broad statement about liking or disliking it. Parts, yes. Other part, no.

Latest Discussions