Asian culture

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :) Becky here, bringing you another new and exciting thread from Becky Bear Industries! OK, that was my moment of silliness for the day :). Anyway, I know we are all martial artists, but I wondered how many of you like the actual Asian culture? I don't care for alot of their food (except for honey chicken), but I love their actual culture. My husband and I have a Chinese living and dining room, complete with a sake set (which is nasty on my opinion). I have a Japanese doll collection, and our walls our full of kanji scrolls and Asian artworks. I'm even getting a Chinese bear for the sofa. We also have plenty of bamboo stuff, including bamboo curtains, blinds, and drink coasters. I'm sure someone can rival that. Martial arts is what got me to like Chinese culture. What's your favorite culture? All answers are appreciated.

Thanks,
Becky

P.S. If you are wondering about the Becky Bear thing, it's my nickname my grandpa gave me when I was first born, then my dad called me that, and it just sorta stuck. Now everyone calls me that. LOL

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do enjoy the exotic-ness of the Asian culture because of the philosophy that goes behind it all. The Zen of becoming one with everything extends out to living and the food and how they greet one another with a bow (formal or semi-formal), it extends to this day and age. I live in an area where the asian population is increasing and see that even informally they will meet and give a short bow to one-another, though not always.
It's radically different from euro/american culture to be sure. But I think we're just as exotic (or bizarre) to them.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always found the culture interesting. The food is good, as long as its cooked, as I'm not into the raw fish thing! I think it would be interesting to actually visit one of those places also.

Mike

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
Damn! I live with an asian woman and we don't have any of the stuff that you listed. In regard to the food, the food that you get from the corner chinese restaurant, has been Americanized.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dunno...in the west we great with a handshake, in some cultures a kiss on the cheek. In Asian it's a bow....the mechanics are different but not the meaning I think

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm lucky that where I live there are extremely authentic Japanese and Thai places. I'd love to spend some time studying Asian cultures, and visiting them eventually, but school takes up most of my time. We also have one of the largest Buddhist monestaries in the states, in our community; I see monks all of the time, and bow--slightly--to greet them. It always cracks them up. :)

It's an awsome place. http://www.advite.com/sf/cttb/cttb4.html

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having been to the far east to train, Japan and India to be
exact. I can tell you that their culture is beautiful and their
food is fantastic. However, most of what you see here in the
west passing for food, culture, furniture, etc. is very different
than what is authentic from this region. We have managed to
americanize much of what is available to buy here in the west.
The Japanese food I had in Japan was definately different than
many of the Japanese restaurants I have visited here in the
states. (subtle changes) Having said all of that, their culture is
beautiful, exotic and they seem to be as curious about us as we are about
them. Just my .2 cents worth.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

Floating Egg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, there are quite a few cultures present in Asia, so you'll have to be a little more specific, but I think that all cultures have something interesting to offer.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm very interested in Chinese culture and am trying to learn more about it. I am becoming more and more interested because of studying CMA. (No sushi for me though). I am learning bits here and there but if anyone knows of any really fantastic resources please share.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Jqapan fascinates me!
Where is that again? :p

I had real Korean food for the first time a few months ago. I liked it very much but am too Americanized to make it a steady diet.

The culture is fascinating, as is the history. Though I like all history. I think they, as with most other cultures, have something positive to offer.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
Umm....sushi is Japanese :)

I know. I used the term sushi to describe all uncooked fish.

Speaking of asian food, my instructor told us the "asian" food we eat in America is considered Holiday Food in Asia. It would be like Asians eating our Thanksgiving meal for dinner and saying they went out for American food. It's not our typical meal.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
Hi everyone! :) Becky here, bringing you another new and exciting thread from Becky Bear Industries! OK, that was my moment of silliness for the day :). Anyway, I know we are all martial artists, but I wondered how many of you like the actual Asian culture? I don't care for alot of their food (except for honey chicken), but I love their actual culture. My husband and I have a Chinese living and dining room, complete with a sake set (which is nasty on my opinion). I have a Japanese doll collection, and our walls our full of kanji scrolls and Asian artworks. I'm even getting a Chinese bear for the sofa. We also have plenty of bamboo stuff, including bamboo curtains, blinds, and drink coasters. I'm sure someone can rival that. Martial arts is what got me to like Chinese culture. What's your favorite culture? All answers are appreciated.

Thanks,
Becky

P.S. If you are wondering about the Becky Bear thing, it's my nickname my grandpa gave me when I was first born, then my dad called me that, and it just sorta stuck. Now everyone calls me that. LOL
like anything else
i take what suits me and leave what doesnt
i dont speak asian tho

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
just checking because you mentioned sushi in a post about Chinese culture....no offense meant

No sweat. :)

I almost added in parenthesis on the original post that I knew it was a Japanese term but didn't. It's probably best to clarify those things in the future because none of us can fully know anothers level of knowledge, especially since I stated I was new to investigating Chinese culture. I appreciate that you took the time to clarify because I had been specific in my reference to Chinese culture up to that point.
:asian:

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
Hi everyone! :) Becky here, bringing you another new and exciting thread from Becky Bear Industries! OK, that was my moment of silliness for the day :). Anyway, I know we are all martial artists, but I wondered how many of you like the actual Asian culture? I don't care for alot of their food (except for honey chicken),

I love a lot of different asian foods, inparticular, korean, vietnamese, chinese, indian. We have a fabulous indian resturaunt local to me and i visted a wonderful authentic chinese food place in DC earlier this year - not the westernised cuisine. At the moment though i am all about greek cuisine.

beauty_in_the_sai said:
but I love their actual culture. My husband and I have a Chinese living and dining room, complete with a sake set (which is nasty on my opinion). I have a Japanese doll collection, and our walls our full of kanji scrolls and Asian artworks. I'm even getting a Chinese bear for the sofa. We also have plenty of bamboo stuff, including bamboo curtains, blinds, and drink coasters. I'm sure someone can rival that.

I appreciate all different types of culture from asia and all over the world, i have some very nice chinese calligraphy from the hand of master sam kwok, i have a nice collection of terra cotta warriors. I have a load of japanese "junk" all kinds of crazy stuff and tech toys, the japanese make some of the most awesome useless stuff around! And of course theres always films and books and anything relating to matial arts.

beauty_in_the_sai said:
Martial arts is what got me to like Chinese culture. What's your favorite culture? All answers are appreciated.

Thanks,
Becky

Well like i said, i love all types of culture, chinese culture is somewhat significant because i study a chinese martial art but i think theres treasures within all cultures and one should experience them as best they can. That includes your own culture, let me tell you, i really enjoy visiting america, there is a full and rich culture right there to explore. I really enjoy trying different foods from different countrys to begin scratching the surface of the culture. So i guess i don't have a clear cut answer for a favourite culture.