New karate kid tv series

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Enjoyed the 3rd season. I thought Kreese's back story was interesting.

I love the spoof on the name 'Eagle Fang Karate', it was hilarious.

So far I am a fan.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enjoyed the 3rd season. I thought Kreese's back story was interesting.

I love the spoof on the name 'Eagle Fang Karate', it was hilarious.

So far I am a fan.

I feel like Eagle Fang was the most realistic part of the show lol. I've definitely seen my share of martial arts logos that are, like, a tiger wielding a katana with a lightening bolt in the background and school name "Golden Tiger Claw Karate Academy of Town, State" in fake Japanese font underneath and maybe there's a flag or some religious symbolism incorporated in there somewhere as well.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I feel like Eagle Fang was the most realistic part of the show lol. I've definitely seen my share of martial arts logos that are, like, a tiger wielding a katana with a lightening bolt in the background and school name "Golden Tiger Claw Karate Academy of Town, State" in fake Japanese font underneath and maybe there's a flag or some religious symbolism incorporated in there somewhere as well.
Yes, and we even see that now with some MMA schools these days like, "Elite MMA" and the weird names coming out for other modern arts.

Entertaining though and just plain funny.

Stablades86

White Belt
Reaction score
Cobra Kai was is an awesome series. Season 2 and 3 were great and just seems to get better with every episode. Great cast, better than average choreography, and great acting. Not sure how anyone could critic this show. Hopefully with this bug, season 4 and 5 become successful.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Okay. So, a while back, I tried watching Season 1 Episode 1, and Ralph Macchio seemed like a real jerk. Does he get better?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay. So, a while back, I tried watching Season 1 Episode 1, and Ralph Macchio seemed like a real jerk. Does he get better?
Sometimes. One of the recurring gags is Daniel and Johnny swapping back and forth on who is the jerk.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got it. They all just seemed so unlikable. Might give it another go.
The original Karate Kid movies had absolute good and bad guys. The TV series tries to show that we all have a bit of both. Overall, I think they're doing pretty well.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah he still carried a bit of that throughout, but I guess it's showing his journey when he starts teaching and how it helped him mature and find some inner stability. He becomes much less of a jerk, but like DD says it does show they're all human and struggling with conflicting stuff within themselves, and yeah they do it pretty well I reckon.

I have a real soft spot for Johnnie in this series haha, his growth is awesome, even though he keeps messing it up at times XD

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah he still carried a bit of that throughout, but I guess it's showing his journey when he starts teaching and how it helped him mature and find some inner stability.
I don't know if they intended it, but I had the impression that Daniel had stopped training, and there is a hint or two that moving away from active Karate training led to some of the assholery.
He becomes much less of a jerk, but like DD says it does show they're all human and struggling with conflicting stuff within themselves, and yeah they do it pretty well I reckon.

I have a real soft spot for Johnnie in this series haha, his growth is awesome, even though he keeps messing it up at times XD
I think they portray Johnny as a guy who wants to be a good guy and do the right thing, but the way he was raised, the way he was trained, and some of his old bad choices make it difficult.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The whole point of this show is how Laruso becomes more Miyagi, and Johnny less Kreese.

The villain with the pony tail about to come on stage represents the death of the 1980s. I'm ready.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Question is... should I rewatch all the series from the start NOW, or wait until season 5's release (which apparently is going to be released much sooner than the usual wait)... hmmm.....

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This programme is utter…’garbo-crap’ (I had to invent a new pejorative adjective to characterise it!) suitable for 7-10 year olds!

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I’ve enjoyed the show and how they’ve worked in the old characters into it while also bringing in a new generation.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two episodes in... Haven't made up my mind yet, but not on a good trajectory, in my opinion.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This programme is utter…’garbo-crap’ (I had to invent a new pejorative adjective to characterise it!) suitable for 7-10 year olds!
An awful lot of people seem to disagree with you.

Latest Discussions